What's up guys and gals? I was wondering...

Hello all. I recently purchased the moped in my profile pic from a resident of Indian land sc. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the build at all I know it's a 1979 sachs balboa. Other than that I dont know much I'm a moped newb. I dont have a clue but I'm very stoked about learning everything I can. Any help I would greatly appreciate. Also thanks in advance and I apologize for being clueless on the subject lol.

20180922_160046.jpg

Re: What's up guys and gals? I was wondering...

That bike LOOKS really familiar! Like I've seen it somewhere before. Does it run?

The dude that sold it to you should know something....

I thought i might have seen it here, with all the lace painting and whatnot, but alas. Still a fun topic though.

The bike was built in 2010 by a dude in NC and tank was painted by blue moon kustoms. https://web.archive.org/web/20100303015608/http://totalruckus.com:80/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=43164

Gabe Mustane /

Sweet sachs. Is it a clutch melter?

The kid is thinking ' I gotta lower that seat ' . ;) (edited)

Supposedly it belonged to cookiemonster of Totalrukus....at sometime in the past...

a23f93daaaedccf694bb3202a10f8663--pit-bike-bobber-bikes.jpg
DSCN2311.jpg

Someone put a Lotta Love into Her. Does She Rip ??

Just Always Remember She's A 2T (2 Stroke)

Jeremy Homser /

How sturdy is that top shock mount. I remember the original build and I remember thinking it need to be beefed up to support real riding

Id say for starts...Get rid of the exhaust brace on the swing arm...Find a different brace location. If it runs ride it until it breaks. I agree with the little kid. Slam that seat. Sweet looking bike. You don't want to make it too fast. The clutches can't handle it...The reason no wants a sachs. You leave it stockish.....Then they'll run for eva!

I believe a WLR guy built it. It’s been a long time. Google image search Sachs Balboa Mopedarmy. You’ll eventually bump into the build thread I’m sure.

here's rob's thread on his build inspired by it:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3077054

I distinctly remember the original thread on here but can't find any mention of it now.

I gave the guy some shit for the awful seat and bar situation, but praise on the shock mount and tank.

Looks like the update now version has much better bars and seat! and shocks!

The downside though, looks like they put on a gianelli circuit pipe, i'm not a huge fan - mostly because they perform pretty mediocre and really love to fall off.

Worse though, it looks like it's band-clamped to the swingarm. THAT CANNOT WORK! the swingarm pivots and moves, the engine does not, so that moun'ts gonna be constantly stretching or bending. Luckily it's just a band and probably has all the give it needs to accommodate he swingarm moving, but that means it's not doing a great jub holding on the pipe.

I HIGHLY recommend spring mounts - weld washers or tabs to the header, and drill holes in the bottom fins, then get 2 springs to hold the header up. Make a mount for the rear that's rigidly connected to the FRAME not the swingarm.

cool bike!

Another cool story about this particular bike is that it was stolen some time ago and recovered this is sort of the story.

I had just moved into my blacksmith shop and was getting to know the neighborhood. One night I heard the motorcycle shop two doors down playing music and some people were out drinking a few beers around the place so I walk over and introduce myself and the topic of mopeds came up. They showed me a bunch of scooters then we walked inside to where that Sachs was at. They told me the found it in a scrap yard and was stoked to see a bike like that and buy it for practically nothing. Well I snapped some photos of it to share in our group chat and everyone recognized that bike and knew it was stolen. We were able to then contact the owner and he got his ped back. Also the guys over at the little motorcycle shop never talked to me again haha. That is a rad bike you have there.

Yeah I'm in the process of working out clutch kinks. I'm having some trouble but I think I've ordered the correct parts. Yeah why would they strap the exhaust to the swing arm lol. Crazy!

There is something going on with the clutch lol.

well, that's an unfortunate issue plaguing many sachs. If I had to guess the nut is just loose, but shimming and wear/glazing of the pads are also common troubles

this might help, https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Setting_Clutch_Preload_on_a_Sachs

especially this vid:

If the clutch nut is loose and you dont have a fancy tool for the washer below it, just take the spark plug out and shove some rope in the cylinder to keep the piston from moving without scratching the cylinder and crank the clutch bolt down to 25-28 lbs, use lock tight, blue not red.

Yes she runs pretty decent. Having clutch issues at the moment but I think I got em solved. I was wondering if any of you guys that knew the original builder could tell me if there were any cylinder mods or how I could tell?

First thing I would do is make sure it not still listed as stolen.

First thing I would do is swap a Derbi motor on it

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

> Buttcheeks BUZZARD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> First thing I would do is swap a Derbi motor on it

F705BD35-435D-4604-AF85-A64FD3741DDA.jpeg

Come on Tommy.....Buzzards trying to put durpi motors on everything.

Who is this guy?? Get out of here for being new!!

> Buttcheeks BUZZARD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> First thing I would do is swap a Derbi motor on it

.....then find out its still listed as stolen and lose the ped plus all your work and parts.

It's not stolen.

It's obviously been slightly modified but is a stock D cylinder, 15mm athena intake, 17mm bing carb (clone?), gianelli circuit pipe. The cylinder has had the decomp plugged but it's not uncommo. That people plug it incorrectly, I'd check on that...

It may be ported, especially given the upgraded intake and carb. No telling without getting in there. It may be a shorter 42mm "A" crank- check the tag on the engine above the flywheel, if it says 47cc it would be the A crank, unless that's been swapped too. Cant really tell without measuring stroke or looking at the crank when its disassembled

I figured out this clutch it works like a champ. But new problem arrived... the pedal free wheeling stopped and the pedals whipped my legs a couple of good times until I got her stopped. So my question is ...is there a way to break this free without splitting the case. Or once it's done it's done and I may aswell go for a build if I'm into it that far. Any suggestions please also is there another solution as in another engine trans maybe a 2 speed swap or something different that would be more dependable and little less wide open. Any help I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

20181004_165818.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account