3D Printing Software

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Figured I'd start a new thread for this. Following up on the 3D printing thread that Tyler made...

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4171698

I just ordered a printer a week or so ago and while I'm waiting for it I figured I should learn how to design things. What software are y'all using? I'm leaning toward fusion 360 since it seems pretty solid and is free for hobbyists, but are there others I should check out?

Re: 3D Printing Software

This should be in OffTopic

But I definitely recommend Fusion 360 it has very solid tools for parametric modeling and can handle surfaces and more organic shapes in the sculpt environment with future additional functionality like dreamcatcher for generative design. The built in CAM environment is excellent for CNC- just as powerful as a program like MasterCAM (at least for 3 axis) but way easier to use. My main gripes are the 2d tools are finicky and building assemblies flat out SUX.

Rhino is powerful for 2d, surface modeling and generative design but I find the 3d environment more confusing especially for basic solid modeling. Solidworks is great for solid modeling especially for mechanical assemblies/sheet metal/weldments but is overkill for 3d printing and hates organic geometry. Sketchup is trash- just enough 3D modeling rope to hang yourself. I haven't used any other "casual" modeling software other than those four. (edited)

Onshape!!!

It's free.

It's entirely browser-based (no d/l + access anywhere).

It's fully featured + frequently updated (again, no re-d/l req. - all automatic).

It's EASY (online tutorials, forums, help - loads of resources).

It's gained widespread popularity very quickly.

All major file types supported (import + export).

Onshape is the creation of the original SolidWorks development team after they regrouped in Boston following the Dessault buyout. Fusion 360 is awesome, don't get me wrong, but big, expensive, and (imo) tailored to corporate clientele. (edited)

^I'd refute that Fusion is tailored to corporate as it lacks a lot of the PDM/ assembly tools needed for large design teams. Plus it's free for small businesses and hobbyists who seem to make up a large part of the online community. I think it's more tailored towards the small design/prototyping/product firms due to it's focus on remote design sharing, platform integration (modeling, rendering, CAM etc) and general middle level of sophistication.

Many of those points (automatic updates, easy, "free", online community etc) also apply to Fusion 360

It does look super interesting though and seems to have better mechanical assembly tools than Fusion's piss poor offering- if it had integrated CAM I might switch over.

I like onshape over fusion. Ive never really had a taste for autodesks 3D offerings, Solidworks has always seemed better.

that said, for 2D, autodesk is king.

Charles McCusker /

> Phoebe ~UPJET SUX CLUB~ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^I'd refute that Fusion is tailored to corporate as it lacks a lot of

> the PDM/ assembly tools needed for large design teams. Plus it's free

> for small businesses and hobbyists who seem to make up a large part of

> the online community. I think it's more tailored towards the small

> design/prototyping/product firms due to it's focus on remote design

> sharing, platform integration (modeling, rendering, CAM etc) and general

> middle level of sophistication.

>

> Many of those points (automatic updates, easy, "free", online community

> etc) also apply to Fusion 360

>

> It does look super interesting though and seems to have better

> mechanical assembly tools than Fusion's piss poor offering- if it had

> integrated CAM I might switch over.

What assembly tools does it lack? I've dabbled with fusion 360 at home due to it being free, but not played with any assemblies. One nice thing about fusion 360 is the fact that autodesk keeps adding features as the community asks for them, which is good.

I've been using solidworks professionally for over a decade, so that's my go to at the moment at work, but I can't exactly justify the price tag for home use.

@Travis - fusion is a completely different animal than inventor or 3d stuff in autocad- I find it equal (and occasionally better) to Solidworks (which I've been working with professionally for 5+ years) for most simple part modeling and vastly prefer it for CAM.

As far as assembly tools it's a few things. The joint functions (sort of the equivalent to mates) are extremely clunky, like to fix parts together rigidly, do not like to relate to eachother, like to move parts out of previously set orientations and just lack many of the useful complex mates Solidworks has. Sub-assemblies and component parts are frustrating if you aren't doing a full top down design as you can not edit component parts in the larger assembly. You must open the part, edit it, save it then return to the assembly and update- you can't even hide bodies within component parts without breaking the link or going into the part file. Also no configurations which is a huge part for designing assemblies for me.

I'm sure some of these issues I have are due to just not taking enough time to really learn the tools and Fusion has had several huge updates over the last year so I'm hoping they can fix some of the problems. But for now I'm still using Solidworks for most of my assembly work. (edited)

Charles McCusker /

Yaaa I use all of those assembly features daily I think. That would drive me crazy.

As for inventor, it really a totally different animal from fusion. My one friend used exclusively inventor at his last job and absolutely hated fusion because of how different it was. He prefers inventor over solidworks.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Ok. My 30 day free trial of fusion 360 just expired. How is it free? I’ve found info on a free 3-yr student license, but my ass is too old and wrinkled to pass as a “student”.

I did a quick search on other free apps. I signed up for Sketchup and all but threw up in my mouth once the program opened. What a joke.

I’ve never used any CAD programs before, and i was just getting the hang of things with fusion with the help of youtube. Created several things with it. I hope there’s something free that is similar to fusion. $500 a year isn’t my thing.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Yeah, That does sound expensive!

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Never mind. Figured it out how to use it free. Yay

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account