Yamaha QT50 Instrument Cluster

Calvin Walker /

So I noticed my ignition doesn't have a start position and I was wondering if it's a reproduction or something. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.

IMAG0301.jpg

Re: Yamaha QT50 Instrument Cluster

Could be an older one, my 1980 model does not have thar "feature" it was added as a safety measure, not sure what year.

83 and 84 has it. That's all I can say. You get the wrong one not knowing that there were more than one?

I have an 80 and 82 only the 82 has the run position maybe 81 is when they started it

As an add-on to this, mine does not have an odometer, yours does, what year is your bike?

Calvin Walker /

Thanks for the info everyone. My bike is an '81 so they must have added the start position in '82.

What would you do if it did have a start position....?

bruce Hamillton /

Both my QT's are 82' and have the start position ...79-81 did not have it. So you'll need the other speedo, but hook up it and see if it runs I'm curious about that.

I'm needing an 82' speedometer also Ebay has nothing.

speed.jpg

The springs in the dash that move the dial. Mines screwed up anybody know where to find inner dash parts so I don't have to buy a new dash. Really don't feel like paying almost 300 dollars for a used one

I have the same dash. Yours is OK without it its just a reproduction not a flaw

bruce Hamillton /

I bought another speedo for 20 bucks from a guy to replace my broken one..but I'm taking the guts out to put in mine as my speedo needle is stuck at 30 mph..

My Yamahopper had a start position and it was a 1982. The start position did something to the ignition coil so cold starts were easier to do, but later ones did not have these. The idea was that you turn it to start, fire up the engine and let it sit until it was warm enough to be on the run position, that’s why you had stickers telling you not to ride in the start position.

It was actually more of a safety thing, engine would not rev in the "start" position, so it would not take off on the stand or while you were standing next to it.

i have both but the one on the bike that works is the old style. the old one has no key but the other one i have the key for if i switch out the ignition switch will the start option work?

Jack Rutherford /

get the 4 digit number off the ignition cylinder and have a key made at cyclekeysonline.com(edited)

there's not even a place to put the key into its open and always in the on position making it easier for someone to steal so i figured i'd ask because i have a donor bike but it's a 1982 the other one is a 1980

Pictures are priceless

sorry didn't want to hijack the topic

IMG_2153.JPG

Michael Modesitt /
Message_1556131686286.jpg

Im looking to buy an 84 speedo and ignition anybody know where to find one reasonable id really appreciate it im restoring it and its missing the ignition and im not sure how to bypass it

Louis Brunskill /

I just got one off Ebay. Wasn't cheep... but nice shape, ya just gotta look. Finde someone selling qy stuff and message them on Ebay. It helps.. Qt's are pretty decent Nopeds.

20181231_220739.jpg

Michael Modesitt /

Yea ive been looking all the ones ive seen on there dont have the ignition with the key but im gonna keep on looking thanks for the info yours looks alot nicer than mine rite now i just got it a week ago did you do the work yourself

Louis Brunskill /

Yep.. full rebuild.. 100% not all stock. But close. 60cc kit carbon reeds. Porting. Good brakes. But all smooth n quiet for me n the kids to enjoy. Took me a few months to track down all the odd bits that it was missing. And a lot of paint, TLC, And plastic polishing. I had to re zink plate the spokes, they just arnt out there to be found.

20181225_160736.jpg

Michael Modesitt /

Nice mines pretty complete the main things im missing is speedo of course rear fender couple body panels the side boxes that say qt on them and rear blinkers i mite need a wiring harness but im gonna do a complete rebuild also

Louis Brunskill /

Here's how mine started out. Keep at it! It'll be worth it in the end. You'll have a bike that you cant just go buy!

20181016_073423.jpg
123_1(3).jpeg

Michael Modesitt /

Nice job same color as mine is thats what i want something different

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account