HPI wiring

JEDED OUT CasseroLLErs /

does anyone out there know of a way to wire in the break light when using an hpi that only offers one yellow wire for lights? i have been at this for a week now and have tried 3 different ways and still no luck

when i hook it up and activate brake the head light and tail running light turn off.

this is the hpi i am using

puch-mini-rotor-210K012-2T.jpg

Re: HPI wiring

What bike? If the bike had the brake light circuit setup as a safety feature your going to need different switches.

JEDED OUT CasseroLLErs /

its on a derbi flat reed

Do you have the right switches? Some setups require closed-at-rest switches some require open. That could throw you off. I don't see any reason they would be wired differently than any other brakes, so must be grounding something out when you pull the brakes

Stator>switch a

Switch a> switch b

Switch b> stop light

JEDED OUT CasseroLLErs /

my brake sw are N/O

Fuck, I just wired one and trying to remember.....

JEDED OUT CasseroLLErs /

my tail light is an LED one that has black wire for ground, blue wire is stop light and red wire is running light.

yellow wire should split into three wires...

-Wire one to headlight

-Wire one to tail light

-Wire one to N/O brake switch, then to brake light. Or it could go vice versa and you break the ground rather than supply power.

MAX LGN FTW. Yep, you just split the wire into three. And then make sure that the head and tail have a ground. I like to run power into both sides of the switch and then a wire out of each switch that joins somewhere, and goes all the way back to the brake light. I cannot remember if you need closed or open brake light switches for it to work. though.

Charles McCusker /

> Dave Steele Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> MAX LGN FTW. Yep, you just split the wire into three. And then make

> sure that the head and tail have a ground. I like to run power into

> both sides of the switch and then a wire out of each switch that joins

> somewhere, and goes all the way back to the brake light. I cannot

> remember if you need closed or open brake light switches for it to work.

> though.

Are you saying run your brake light wire to both brake light switches then run em both back to the taillight?

You can either run power in and power out to each switch, or you can run a connector wire between the switches like many stock bikes do. I find the first way just easier and it creates a redundancy.

I would certainly suggest running a complete new wiring harness for the bike if you haven't already. Run yellow to both the voltage regulator and a flasher (also then run yellow from the voltage regulator to both headlight and tail light or a switch on your bars). On both brake switches you will run 1 wire to the brake light, and the other to the flasher. Make sure your grounds are secure and secluded. When I brake, my headlight dims a little, but I am running 2, 35 watt halogens. Be sure you also have the trail tech voltage regulator to keep up with the hpi. Hit me up if you want a diagram or something.

Charles McCusker /

> Dave Steele Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can either run power in and power out to each switch, or you can run

> a connector wire between the switches like many stock bikes do. I find

> the first way just easier and it creates a redundancy.

I'm with you on the redundancy part. thanks man!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account