Puch MV50....pedals rotating intermittently with engine running.

Finally got Puch running sweetly. Out of the blue today....started her up and pedals are rotating (stop and start) with engine running which is a bit un-nerving as that's where you rest your feet. I stopped and re-started.....running normally again.

Bike has only done 900 miles from new so I can't see anything being worn. It was rumoured this bike may have been used for the UK Haynes manual....I would have thought they would have re-assembled carefully. Any ideas appreciated. Don't really want pedals spinning whilst riding ! Have a good day (27 degrees in UK).

John.

20180731_092515.jpg

Re: Puch MV50....pedals rotating intermittently with engine running.

can u stop the pedals when they are spinning?

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Nice job. More pix, please :)

John Beever /

I didn't really try to stop them spinning....it seemed as if they were catching then stopping. They would flip half a turn,stop,flip again etc........

As the pedals are used for starting engine, I guess there must be a mechanism/system that disconnects pedals from engine once engine starts ?

Anyway....it has stopped doing this for the moment but was a bit worrying as a rotating pedal whilst riding could be a bit dangerous.

John.

Mine did the same after sitting idle for years , a Vespa Bravo. I slowed to a stop, and pedaled backward a couple of times , my neighbor, a mechanic said the clutch maybe a little seized up. After a few backpackers it's been alright.

Make sure trans oil is okay. If off color,change it out.

don-ohio

John Beever /

Thanks for that. Fresh oil change just done and at correct level.

Pedals only swung round that once on start-up. This is the 2-speed foot change Puch.

It was just a bit alarming as would have been dangerous to ride if it had persisted.

I do seem to remember this happening on pedal mopeds back in the 1970s.

Presumably when you pedal start engine, there is then a mechanism to disconnect pedals from engine once it is running ? Don't think it says in manual.

Dirty30 Dillon /

There should be an engagement pawl

John Beever /

Can't find any info on engagement pawl.....how does this release once engine has started ? Thanks.

John.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account