Tomos Two stroke to 4 stroke engine swap

Donald Connolly /

Is it possible to take a 1999 tomos sprint pedal two stroke and put a four stroke on it

53716732-31F7-49B5-AD88-D0E45D52B387.jpeg

Re: Tomos Two stroke to 4 stroke engine swap

Dirty30 Dillon /

Just get a 4t bike, you will be happier

Donald Connolly /

I really like the look of the scooter I have but I would love an engine is more reliable

Dirty30 Dillon /

If the motor is unreliable, that is the doing of the person maintaining it.

Tomos motors are very reliable, that is why they've had the same basic design since like 1970.

I love my girlfriend but she's sick, so instead of treating her illness, I'm looking for a prostitute to move in in her place.

Donald Connolly /

I just bought it and it has bad completion so ya I’d rather get a new engine than take the one I have apart

Donald Connolly /

Compretion

Charles McCusker /

but its so easy to rebuild, and then you'll know how it works. hell find the same engine thats "running" and throw it on while you rebuild that one. You'll be able to do that a lot quicker and easier than throwing some random 4t on it.

plus fair warning you're gonna get flack around here for wanting to ditch the 2t. ALSO, its a moped not a scooter, Scooter.

Anything is possible with a welder and a grinder. You could easily rebuild the A35 motor for less than the cost of a questionable quality 4-cycle honda knock off motor. A piston kit for a tomos, and a few gaskets will run you under $50. With a lifan type swap you'll need to cut out the old engine mounts, fabricate some new mounts and weld them in. You'll loose your pedals since they are built into the engine. You'll need the wiring harness for the new engine, as well as an exhaust, carb, coil and probably a larger rear sprocket.

I am very confident that you'd have a much easier time fixing that than converting it to 4 stroke. Also, we all are here from a mutual love of fixing old little 2 strokes, so it's unsurprisingly gonna draw some ire that you 1)don't wanna fix your engine, and 2) don't wanna keep it 2 stroke.

Still those lifans and such are tempting and seem like a n easy powerful reliable solution. Those of us with much experience fixing these things have come to b skeptical of their reliability but you can get lucky, and even if they break, a whole new throw-away engine's just 2 days shipping away from your doorstep.

But, if your issue is low compression, a new kit and dialing it in gets you back to a reliable compression and running bike somewhere in the 200-300 range, or replacing with stock take-offs you could probably et it fixed and running well for nearly free. On the other hand the 4t engines' gonna run youat least 400 by the time you get all the bits, shifters carb pipe etc, then yo8u gotta rig up all those mounts and weld it in, it's heavier and lower and all hanging on your newly made welds so if you're not a good welder have someone do it who is. but it's been done and some people have had good luck with those setups for at least a year or two.

other options which are maybe less offensive to this community might be swapping in old 2 strokes, like a PW80. could probably find a used one less than a new horizontal Honda clone, and they're better engines for sure.

in the end, up to you. but from a moped enthusiast standpoint, i'd recommend keeping your engine. from a lazy cheapskate viewpoint, i'd recommend keeping your engine. only if you already had a running 4 stroke and some mounts made up and were very bored and convinced that's what you want would that seem like the best option. hell if you want a lil 4 stroker moped like thing just get a cub!

anyway good luck, hope my ramblings help you.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I love my girlfriend but she's sick, so instead of treating her illness,

> I'm looking for a prostitute to move in in her place.

I think I met her.

Donald Connolly /

Ok I’m convinced I’ll keep it original

just google "fauxmos"

its easy enough to do

but yea tomos a35 motors are fucking awesome

do what you want

LOL just buy a 5 horse Briggs

Screenshot_2018-07-26-17-47-02-1.png

If you want to be fucked in the butt, that being said slap a lifan on it. You have been warned (edited)

> Jim Jones Wrote:

> LOL just buy a 5 horse Briggs

That looks ghastly.

Yea I can buy a lifan for like $200 bucks. That's a new crack, bearings and some small things on treats nvm the kit and all the work needed.

The Lifans are not bad at all people give them great reviews, I can imagine it lasting longer on the road vs a bumpy dirt path.

If you want to be cheap, pull the cylinder and look. Might just need honed and new rings. Run it till the bearings rattle.

No it's called mopeding. I enjoy the crank nocking (edited)

> Frank Bailey Wrote:

> > Jim Jones Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > LOL just buy a 5 horse Briggs

>

> That looks ghastly.

Fresh Hot Nutz

Charles McCusker /

> Tyler Shearer Wrote:

> just google "fauxmos"

>

> its easy enough to do

>

> but yea tomos a35 motors are fucking awesome

>

> do what you want

"Easy" very much depends on the person doing the work. Don't forget people get into mopeds and don't know where the spark plug is, how to change it, or even how to remove the air filter.

Don't you know in the moped world you're supposed to follow the leader

Don't be that guy that goes the opposite way

Probably Fred /

> Jim Jones Wrote:

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I love my girlfriend but she's sick, so instead of treating her

> illness,

>

> > I'm looking for a prostitute to move in in her place.

>

> I think I met her.

Is this her?

52865A63-FC7A-4C59-92DC-0BA30544CFCC.jpeg

I'd hit that

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account