Is gas tank rust filtered out by a inline fuel filter ?

Hi,

My gas tank is rusty , does a inline fuel filter take out the rust that may get into the gas so it doesn't clog the carb ?

thank you

Re: Is gas tank rust filtered out by a inline fuel filter ?

Have the same problem with a friend's tank . Changing filter only a band aid, clogged within two weeks. I got some oxalic acid, and going to clean it. Stand by though, you'll get plenty of good advice from others here!

does the carb get clogged in 2 weeks or does the filter get clogged? if its the filter could I just clean it out with some carb cleaner or something and but it back on the line?

Charles McCusker /

clean your tank

Bad Cadillac™ /

Also, do not clean fuel filters. Replace them.

If you try to clean, you may get some of the debris out, but you never get all of it out. They are designed to be thrown away and replaced.

Bruce Zapper /
IMG_0061a.jpg

You must get rid of the source of rust (The Tank) Or it could end up like the picture. Or sell it on craigslist and say the carb. needs to be cleaned!

I have filled my tank with vinegar and salt at the moment. Any tips on how to get rid of rust this way most effectively ?

Bruce Zapper /

Cleats Onionpockets /

Salt helps rust form.....take that out and use straight vinegar. Hook an air line (aquarium air pump is quick and easy) to the petcock and let it percolate for a few days. Then drain it out, rinse, and quickly blast with wd-40. Worked on a puch maxi tank that I thought would never come back.

Douche that tank out already and stop looking for quick fixes!

Larry , Straight to the point.

My Derbi RD50 had some nasty rust. Treated the tank for 2 weeks with Evaporust! When I finally ran it, I used VINTAGE VW Fuel Filters (had em for 20+ years!) Ended up going thru all 3 fuel filters within a couple miles. Then I got me a Universal Fuel Filter (Pep Boys) It CAN be taken apart & cleaned! After about 5 cleans... the Tank is now flowing Crap Free \m/ Only thing you gotta be careful of... The Cover is Glass @_@ Honest™ (edited)

Derbi Filter.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account