Re: New moped owner! 1980 Vespa Grande Super deluxe

Bad Cadillac™ /

You can't get the jets at a local lawn mower place. Those places do not service carbs made for mopeds.

If you are going to try another jet, then you better get more then one jet because getting it right the first time with one jet is like playing the lottery and winning millions by just playing the first and only time in your life.

Start a buy post here for a used 12.12 carb and a used pipe instead of buying that new pipe at treats.

You will need a new white intake plastic piece as I mentioned above to rule out air leaks. You NEED this, so get it unless you buy a new carb altogether.

Yea, gosh darn it. I knew you were right. Just have a hard time giving up on something ya know?

Talked to my pops yesterday, and after some back and forth he said the same thing. He said, "but that don't mean ya can't still play with the old one. Ya never know ya might get it right and have a backup". Haha. So I accepted it.

Question though. Should I get the 12.12 or the 13.13 from treatland? I have the stock pipe installed now. So I'm assuming the 13.13 will not perform correctly. But not sure. It's actually cheaper than the 12.12. So figured I'd ask.

Gotta get some tires too it seems. But after that I think she will be 100% road ready. Probably some new cabels at some point, but these seem to move pretty freely so I'm not in much of a rush on that.

Found a good used one on here. Bought it. I'll get that plastic seal as well.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Great! You will be glad you did!

When you bolt it up with an air filter, post back how it runs. Many of us will be curious!

When I got my Si it ran fine with the original 12.10 carb but I took.it off and upgrade to a new 13.13 with high flow filter.

My Grande had a massive air leaknat the plastic intake fitting and the previous owner tried drilling more holes in the air filter which may made things worse. I also got a new 13.13 w/filter for it. When I sold my Grande, I gave the guy the 12.12 too.

The main thing with yours as I'm sure you noted already, is to get it running and then you'll know what you got going forward.

Yea exactly. And like I said, I can still play with the old one. Maybe learn something and still have the grande ridable.

I guess the guy I got it from is sending me some super tiny holed jet with the carb as an extra. So maybe I can play around with that and never know. Maybe I'll make a bad ass extra carb,. Orrrr. A cool paperweight. Which is most likely. Lol.

Still having a ball with it. And my stepson is really excited each time we get closer to it being 100% road ready.

Not excited about putting on new tires. This doesn't seem like it will be a fun time. Lol

Bad Cadillac™ /

I got Sava brand tires from Treats for both my Vespa and all installed pretty easily.

ELLAK MOLNAR /

Under the seat there is a overflow fuel vent nob... You know the one you loosen when you refill with fuel and retighten again after you see fuel pitting out of it once your full of fuel? First, Top off your Fuel Tank with fuel and ride your bike about a mile or so.. Now pull over and loosen the overflow nob under your rear seat... Ride your bike again and see if the bogging down of your motor happens again? Sometimes the fuel tank/lines get a vapor lock when everything gets older on these Grandes and it will keep your fuel from running freely into the carb... Loosing the vent overflow knob will allow the gravity of your fuel to once again flow freely into the carb... If this simple test does not work and you have already went over and cleaned your carb? You may want to a pressure test on your cylinder and be sure you have at least 100psi of pressure when you turn the engine over... Anything under 100PSI will require a rebuild! Be sure to have the On/Off switch in the "OFF" position! You don't want your engine to start when you test the cylinder for pressure. Just hook-up the Pressure Gauge in place of the spark plug and pedal your bike until the motor turn over about 4-5 times... Check the gauge for pressure and write the PSI down.. Clear the gauge and repeat the test about another 4-5 times to get the actual average reading. anything under 100 PSI is not good!

I just bought a Vespa Grande Super Deluxe and I'm having problems getting the electrical to work. Could you send a pic of the battery and how everything is hooked up properly Thanks colin grants316@hotmail.com

Kanhaiya Dubey /

alksoftco best

Kanhaiya Dubey you need to run home right now. Your children are bathing in the river and now they are sick. It's your fault . You should live your life better

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account