so CHP just classified my chappy with pedals as MR/scooter

gilberto landeros /

can i do anything about this? after arguing with 2 officers and pedaling to show them and pointing to the permanent plates gold and blue they said the plates had no record on them and that they could be from another bike. my bike sat for 7 yrs I i know they are original because the dmv gave me a print out with the previous registered owner. that document somehow vanish when they gave me everything back. the chappy don't go more than 21 mph but mostly likes 18-19mph. now I got to pay yearly registration wtf. no bike lane. I told them in going to get killed riding in driving lanes. they said it was a trail bike for around town. i said it checks off every moped rule.

Re: so CHP just classified my chappy with pedals as MR/scooter

gilberto landeros /

just realized a lot of bike codes were recently amended in CA for driving around trails adjacent to roads. now the same code does not mention the trails at all. way to stick to the man CA.

gilberto landeros /

wow I have the history report and look what it says

20180609_095551.jpg

Got Pedals?

Do you have a photo of your bike? All the photos I've seen of them don't have pedals.

1a2f8e3b-3427-49dc-8945-c3a9937c9f74.jpg

ok ok ok, take it easy. thus is what u do, if it got pedals then go to dmv. dont go in wait outside for the vehicle inspection area, get one...if you have it switched to a scooter already then youll have to get paperwork inside. if not just fill out form moped andsend to sac town, n next time chp pulls you over offer some advice.

Re: Got Pedals?

> Rob Rob Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do you have a photo of your bike? All the photos I've seen of them don't

> have pedals.

> >

I don't have any pics, but the one I had did in fact have pedals, they could be locked in place like pegs, pretty cool, this was the 50cc, perhaps the pic you have is of the 80cc one? The 50cc ones are very slow, would not use on the street today, even though I could.

Move 2 Las Vegas NV .. problem solved .. (PS) up north we don't want any more of you here .. just sayin ..

31408054_10155864047964405_5979407818283810816_n.jpg

I had never heard of one with pedals either, but managed to find a picture or two on google. It's an assembly separate from the engine that slides through the swing arm.

Figure out those officers’ shift and make a point of riding during heavy rush hour traffic and aggressively hold your lane?

Totally normal JBOT /

Just reregister it by mail with the reg230 form.

Get a new plate, done.

Sounds like you have no paperwork, and no insurance either....just a plate.

So basically you're doing it fucking wrong. Reg230 via mail so you have paperwork, get insurance, M1 or M2 endorsement then there's nothing the cops can do.

You can only beat a system by knowing the system (edited)

^ Agreed.

Or don't worry about what cops say cause they don't make the laws

Last week I had a cop tell me it's illegal to ride a 2 stroke bike bigger than 50cc on the road

You argue and get the whole "I don't care what the DMV say I'm telling you it's illegal and if I see you on the road again I'm going to ticket you"

Am I gonna stop riding my bike no I am not because it's totally legal to ride

^ problem is, laws vary so much state to state, mopeds are not worth tickets, I just do what they say, it is not hard. Like you say as long as you KNOW and can prove you are in the right in court, NOT just think you know, lol rock on. :)

gilberto landeros /

not quite, ebay buy bill of sale. no title. this is the right process, I got 2 yamahoppers, did it once already, all my bikes have insurance, hold your judgement. that said I have been charged 212 dollars at the dmv and I tried telling them then it is a moped.

They don't care ... they just want your money .

gilberto landeros /

cool right. yeah the way it works is the left crank can swing up and over only if the right side spring crank is pushed in. the left side once swung back pushes out the right axle and on the sprocket you lock in a push pin and you can pedal not to bad.

20180609_170709.jpg
20180609_170700.jpg

gilberto landeros /

here she is

20180508_142942.jpg

gilberto landeros /

I don't think they would reclassify it if CHP has it on the form is a motorized scooter. I think I can reprint that form and say I lost it and take it to a different CHP office. and see what they think. and I got the dmv slip too already saying motor driven cycle with pedals. I think because the new title is also apart of it too that dosent help.

Just checking, but you do know of the high/low range on the trans right? if in low it will be really slow... Good looking bike!

gilberto landeros /

yeah I climbed a hill my yamahoppers would of chocked on. slow and wild. but it can do it. low gear in first surprised me. if it ends up have yrly tags ill upgrade the engine to a polini 70cc kit

gilberto landeros /

theses my hoppers. knobbys for the chappy arrive soon. she only gots 1k miles. needed a new carb but that it

20180609_173923.jpg
20180609_173931.jpg

> gilberto landeros Wrote:

> I don't think they would reclassify it if CHP has it on the form is a

> motorized scooter. I think I can reprint that form and say I lost it

> and take it to a different CHP office. and see what they think. and I

> got the dmv slip too already saying motor driven cycle with pedals. I

> think because the new title is also apart of it too that dosent help.

Sweeeet!, in California a “motorized scooter” doesn’t need a title, registration, license plate or proof of insurance. You do need to have a drivers license but no m/c endorsement. Go ride that thang! https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=407.5. (edited)

> Barn Fresh Wrote:

> Sweeeet!, in California a “motorized scooter” doesn’t need a title,

> registration, license plate or proof of insurance. You do need to have a

> drivers license but no m/c endorsement. Go ride that thang!

By that they mean a skate board with a stick. Not a toilet seat.

> Rob Rob Wrote:

> > Barn Fresh Wrote:

>

> > Sweeeet!, in California a “motorized scooter” doesn’t need a title,

>

> > registration, license plate or proof of insurance. You do need to have

> a

>

> > drivers license but no m/c endorsement. Go ride that thang!

>

> By that they mean a skate board with a stick. Not a toilet seat.

I know what it means, you know what it means but oviously the Chipper doesn’t or he wouldn’t re-classify it as a “motorized scooter” when it is clearly a moped.

So if the owner has a piece of paper from the CHP that says that it is a “Motorized Scooter” then carry that with and go ride! Personally I would also carry a copy of the rest of the CVC definitions. Motorcycle, Motor Driven Cycle, Moped, etc.

Totally normal JBOT /

Motorized scooters are Gopeds, ya idiot.

Learn the fucking law, Matlock.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Motorized scooters are Gopeds, ya idiot.

>

> Learn the fucking law, Matlock.

Yeh I think we all know that, it’s the CHP that the OP said classified it as a “Motorized Scooter” that needs to learn the law!

There is no other motorized scooter law definition in California other than the one that applies to go-peds. (edited)

> yeah I climbed a hill my yamahoppers would of chocked on. slow and wild.

> but it can do it. low gear in first surprised me. if it ends up have

> yrly tags ill upgrade the engine to a polini 70cc kit

What is the gripe with yearly tags? We do that in MN, oh well, the only fast Chappy I have seen was the 80cc version. Mine was just like yours, maybe 24 mph, it was very heavy as I recall. Good off road/campground bike. Why the knobies on the QT? More rolling resistance, something they can ill afford unless modified? I have one too, not ridden it in 7 yrs as the brakes are gone, but a fun bike with very minimal suspension travel. Built like tanks though. Enjoy.

gilberto landeros /

lol I'm from Costa mesa california and before that elpaso Texas. lol kek

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Just reregister it by mail with the reg230 form.

>

> Get a new plate, done.

>

> Sounds like you have no paperwork, and no insurance either....just a

> plate.

>

> So basically you're doing it fucking wrong. Reg230 via mail so you have

> paperwork, get insurance, M1 or M2 endorsement then there's nothing the

> cops can do.

>

> You can only beat a system by knowing the system

Then I’m sure you know that you can’t get a new (original) plate and I.D. Card when the ped is still in the DMV system.

Completing another Reg230 form would require release of ownership from previous owner (Mr. Bill) to complete a transfer of ownership.

Personally I would never think about having someone else (a friend)

fill section 4 out if I couldn’t locate the previous owner, heh, heh... (edited)

> lol I'm from Costa mesa california and before that elpaso Texas. lol kek

This has what to do with anything? Not mad, just curious about why buying a license tab sucks so much?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account