onyx electric moped

hello have you guy looked at these moped. look pretty good. one goes 60mph

Re: onyx electric moped

https://onyxmotorbikes.com/ here is a link if I did it right.

here is a pic

ONYX_CTY_RCR_WIDE_sm3.jpg

Designed and built by a Moped Army member. Super nice. Really cool bikes.

Sunnie Contreras /

They look like they have amazing torque. I've been keeping an eye on them. They're good looking bikes!

I just saw that video on IG of the dude blasting up some steep ass hill on one of these from a dead stop!! That was impressive

Mixed feelings on the aesthetics. That wood grain-ish looking cover is a nice! But my eyes just get drawn to that void where the gas engine would normally be on a moped. Just looks like someones 75% complete roller project.

Also I'm gonna be that guy that asks about fenders lol. Yes these are relatively inexpensive for an ebike with that much power... but still, 2300 dollars i want fenders!

Props to this company though for sure!! I would seriously love to own that RCR model and blast at 3am silently around town.

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Very cool!!!

In full production I think nthay I would actually pay for this. Probably just light and powerful enough to be super fun/dangerous though.

So much 4 ma being a 2 cycle forum .. A question , how far does a charge take you ?

lol why do old people just hate the idea of EVs?

I actually really like them, simple clean design. the wood grain totally blows the aesthetic, such a bizarre choice.

@Andy , it's not that i dislike them , sooner or later gas will run out world wide and we will all be riding one .. I want 2 delay that as long as possible ..

> Don Sumpter (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So much 4 ma being a 2 cycle forum .. A question , how far does a

> charge take you ?

From the reading I got the faster model will go 75mi (at 20mph) but even cruising with traffic if it got 30 miles I would be more than happy to run all the errands for the day on a charge.

> @Andy , it's not that i dislike them , sooner or later gas will run out

> world wide and we will all be riding one .. I want 2 delay that as long

> as possible ..

well, the more people that are riding EVs, the more dino juice for you.

@Andy , Old school , that's me ...

I am an advocate of even less miles per charge in the name of lightness. And cheapness. Something that could do 10 miles a charge would be plenty for me.

> Flagrant - Wrote:

> I am an advocate of even less miles per charge in the name of lightness.

> And cheapness. Something that could do 10 miles a charge would be

> plenty for me.

You could build a custom bike for a lot less than 2500 bucks to get you down that 10 mile stretch .

Would be cool to see an electric conversion kit for mopeds. For example, a puch conversion kit would be a 17" rim with an electric hub motor and a battery pack that has the same bolt pattern as an e50. Just ditch your engine and mount the battery in it's place, and mount the hub wheel.

Kinda sorta like this https://www.superpedestrian.com except these have the battery built into it.

Don get a rack on your ebike and strap a gallon of premix, at convenient stops along ur ride gently remove cap and breathe deeply. Then close cap and ride on. Also mount a mikuni carb somewhere so as to adjust the virtual mixture. That should suffice !

My commensal meta power 650 Enduro mountain bike with the e8000 Shimano motor is coming this week. Im getting the aftermarket chip to keep the engine from cutting out at 20 mph. It's all proven technology. Not a hub mounted motor. U gotta ride an ebike that has the center of gravity correct. There is no pothole big enough that this bike can't survive. And remember I love all my mopeds but electric motors are the answer to moped reliability issues. And the Kickstarter mopeds pale in comparison to what's out there. Even KTM is making e mountain bikes. Im unconvinced if electric cars make much sense but two wheels do.

> Max LGN Wrote:

> Would be cool to see an electric conversion kit for mopeds. For example,

> a puch conversion kit would be a 17" rim with an electric hub motor and

> a battery pack that has the same bolt pattern as an e50. Just ditch your

> engine and mount the battery in it's place, and mount the hub wheel.

>

> Kinda sorta like this https://www.superpedestrian.com except these have

> the battery built into it.

Dang , they are proud of that ^ . Just the wheel is 1500 bucks .

And , there's little to no chance of making it ripppp , as seems so important to more than a couple of these guy . ;)

Probably Fred /

> Flagrant - Wrote:

> I am an advocate of even less miles per charge in the name of lightness.

> And cheapness. Something that could do 10 miles a charge would be

> plenty for me.

So for that bike goes 60 mph max speed so 10 miles of charge would be be like what 10-15 maybe 20 minutes minutes depending on speed/how heavy handed you are!

10-15 minutes of riding? why even bother !

I get up about 75-80 miles out of my stock modified tomos revival tank and 75-80 mi out of my 55 MPH kitted magnum tanks and that comes up fast!

Just a few hr of ridin I’m thinkin man it’s getting close to the time to gas up.

On Kitted maxis that get 35 maybe 40mi out of a tank I gas up after every ride unless I just grab extra liter gas bottle when I go.

I couldn’t even imagine getting on a bike and in a few minutes and thinking It’s time to charge already!

And sometimes you just need to get out of Dodge so a 50 mi range is needed on an electric vehicle/any vehicle

are these really going to happen, or only if they get up to $400,000?

Start looking at the Bosch , Shimano , brose motors. These hub motors are so 10year old technology . They show up on $300bikes.

Ken that math is all sorts of fucked.

Probably Fred /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Ken that math is all sorts of fucked.

The point I was trying to make was a 10 mile range on a 60 mph bike is like nothing

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Ken that math is all sorts of fucked.

realistically, in the sense of "minutes" of fun as opposed to "hours" of fun, Ken is spot on. his math isnt even a factor of 10 incorrect.

"And sometimes you just need to get out of Dodge so a 50 mi range is needed on an electric vehicle/any vehicle"

precisely why i haven't built an electric 2-wheeler yet. i may just buy an electric assist kit for my bicycle so i can get to work without sweating'

Build these already.

PayPal waiting.

> So much 4 ma being a 2 cycle forum

It never was, it only seems that way because a huge percentage of the population around here burns oil. But the thing even more people around here are interested in is C2H6O, and they would ditch their peds in a heartbeat for it.

ethanol-molecule-structure-c2h6o-9461489.jpg

> Max LGN Wrote:

> Also I'm gonna be that guy that asks about fenders lol. Yes these are

> relatively inexpensive for an ebike with that much power... but still,

> 2300 dollars i want fenders!

It's because Tim didn't put things like that on it that he was able to get the price so low. Look at how much more similar bikes go for, and compare the two.

> Chris . Wrote:

> are these really going to happen, or only if they get up to $400,000?

They are happening. The $400K is just the next level.

Those mopeds are bad-ass without a doubt. The torque seems good but i dont see anyone doing more than 40-50mph on one of those. The range is ok if you ride slow. If you ride WOT everywhere like most people do i dont see you getting 30miles range out of it. Nonetheless the design is awesome and if money wasnt an object i’d get one. But it is an object so Iam sticking with dino juice as long as possible.

Looks pretty good- as with other electric bikes the devil is in the details as far as battery/electronics life and build quality goes.

Woodgrain is kind of a wack choice but w/e works for their target audience.

Also it would be chill if their ads didn't only ever put women on the step thru- women can ride top tanks and guys can ride step thrus it is actually not illegal yall

they do look really nice, i wonder how they perform if you get caught in a downpour while riding or if it sits out in the rain all day while you're at work?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account