How to get your wife on board with you buying your first Moped?

Hey Everyone!

I've been researching for a while and I think I'm ready to buy my first Moped but my wife is a little "resistant" to the idea. Any have any suggestions as to how to bring her over to my side? (other than getting her one too ;) )

Re: How to get your wife on board with you buying your first Moped?

I never did. Mopeds were first and met my wife during a decades long drought.

She does not like mopeds much at all but has learned to cope with the competition for my attentions, unwillingly. It's not easy, though.

Just buy her something sparkly to keep her distracted . LOL

Of course , once you start down that road ...

Be very careful what you wish for . ;)

Do what you want because you're a grown adult.

Emil Kniemel /

Before we married my GF was resistant to the idea of mopeds. I bought one any way. When she saw it she laughed because it was smaller than a bicycle and kinda looked like a joke (honda hobbit).

We are married now and I currently have 4.69 mopeds in the garage (2.69 of which are mine, 2 belong to other people). Now she says "no more mopeds" but will ride around the neighborhood with me.

Buy one for her too

Show her the video of the heavy kid eating it while attempting a tomos jump...

That should do the trick.

Charles McCusker /

I showed her a picture, and she said cool, do what you want with your money. then she bought her pacer.

> Jarod V. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do what you want because you're a grown adult.

No more oral or you could hide it at a storage unit. If you have a vacation house just say it's for the kids and or for going on those runs to the beer mart.

A lot girls like mopeds just not the kitted ones, it's cool to have them around like an old car.

Depends some girls really like grease and gas and wrenchs

Girls can be difficult people can be difficult mopeds can be difficult life is difficult

From a female point of view.....don't spend a lot on your first moped so as not to upset her. Once you have it up and running as well as cleaned up, have her take it for a ride. She will either love it or hate it. If she likes it, you win because now you'll have to get her one as well.

Mike McScoutington /

When I bought my first ped I was dating my wife. I remember telling Dave B from the Dcons that "my gf is going to kill me if I come home with this". Flash forward a couple of years and Dave was standing up in my wedding and telling that story. 15 years later and I am still hanging out with those dudes.

Just tell her that mopeds will make you cool and get you all of the friends.

My wife knew from the get that I was a biker .

When I suggested a moped for her to do grocery runs and various pleasure rides , she was 'meh' .

I'd see something on Craigslist and show her , then ask her if she liked it .

She seemed just OK with the step-thru of the FA50 .

I found a beaten barn kept bike for a little over a hundred bucks . Brought it home and rebuilt it into something that looked close to and ran like new . She rode it , but now she says it's my moped , as in not hers .

She can ride it any time she wants .

Probably Fred /

When I met my wife I had two cycle kaw and Honda enduro bikes, a 1977 moped, a go cart and mini bikes, had mopar cars (68 and 72 furys), had a bunch of biker friends, played bass in a band, was a motorhead and avid fisherman!

She excepted me the way I was!

if not well It would be like this :

We only had one car so I bought a scooter to get to my car pools house.

Also I think a history of fixing crap and building bicycles made the moped transition less frightening

Another tactic is to ditch another vice. I'd guess your wifes aversion to mopeds is either concern for the safety of someone she loves- if you smoke you could ditch that bad habit as a bargain with statistical and emotionally lower stakes for your enduring longevity, rely initially on relatively safe builds and a quality full face helmet. 2nd. Reason for an aversion is cost, in time or space or money. Free up space by ditching other junk if needed, balance the money aspect by selling your first bike and demonstrating a profit, set yourself a reasonable budget like max 50 a month

That's a really long way of saying- communicate and compromise. Figure out what she wants, what you can do, make a deal and be mindful of balancing each others wants and you will go far

It really depends on your relationship I guess, you are a grown adult and can buy what you want. However, if buying one would take away from household bills, then you should reconsider. If you can afford it without not paying rent/mortgage/groceries, get it. Women have things they spend on that we don't understand...lol. :) For sure let her ride it if she wants to, don't force her if she is against it, but you never know, you may have a new hobby to enjoy together. Or she will always know where you are, in the garage cursing at the damn thing...lol. Better than at the bar.

Tell her it's cheaper than a girlfriend or a divorce...

Bruce Zapper /

I guess I consider myself lucky, my wife sews material is very expensive!

Interesting thread. So, from the feedback above, maybe try the long game. If your wife is as apprehensive as mine, then buy/build something slow, quiet, reliable and with a hint of paracticality like this first and if she likes it you’re in:

44084A73-E327-4B51-842E-6DCDDCA4973C.jpeg

If she likes it loves it then it’s hers and you’re open to buying/building all kinds of crazy moped things.

typically it works well if ... you get something and she get something as well.

you get the ped and she gets something close in value that she really wants but couldn't justify ... a win win for all. :) (edited)

Jeff how did it go?

> Jarod V. Wrote:

> Do what you want because you're a grown adult.

Totally normal JBOT /

Omg, the idea that you have to get your wife to agree with you having a moped.

I weep for your lost independence.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Omg, the idea that you have to get your wife to agree with you having a

> moped.

>

> I weep for your lost independence.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Omg, the idea that you have to get your wife to agree with you having a

> moped.

>

> I weep for your lost independence.

^^^^^^

Sunnie Contreras /

I'm sure she's concerned with safety. Most wives are. I talked to my fiance and told her I wanted to use it as a way to save money on payments / gas / insurance for daily commuting to work to save for our wedanyway.QNot that I had to get an approval from her but just so shes on board and not have to fight me about it as well. I got a stock puch in meh condition that hit about 15 mph at first. She laughed at it. And kinda forgot about the safety aspect, when I started upgrading and fixing it she would get just as excited about it as me. Now she likes that I have a hobbie I enjoy and can be proud of my own work.

So.

1. Envolve her in your decision.

2. Buy it anyway.

3. Let her ride it and she'll be ok.

Buy it and put it in the garage. Just make sure her chain attached to the kitchen sink isn't garage length.

I don't play golf.... Golf is expensive. I tell my wife I can work on mopeds or play golf. Mopeds are cheap compared to golf.

Or so I tell her.

She usually just rolls her eyes though

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Buy it. It is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission;)

Jeff Nielson /

Wow. Thanks so much everyone for all the support. I’m going to check out my potential first bike tomorrow (2008 Tomos LX).

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account