A new mini challenge: Suzuki FA50 and a few questions

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

First noped. I wouldn't have purchased it, however a guy I know, thought it is and dropped it off at my house, for free, thinking I wanted it or could fix it. It is partially taken apart and in a plastic bin. Looks to be mostly there, lacking the rear fender & gas tank. Hopefully that's all that's missing. Motor spins freely, however I need to know, looking from the stator/right side, which way the motor spins (clockwise or counter clockwise) when running? I need to see where the timing is & check things in general. Inside the timing cover looks clean with little corrosion. I think it should clean up alright but it has sat out for an undetermined amount of time. Not enough for the wheels to rust. Also has anyone been running premix? Any tricks to that other than removing the oil pump? For right now I'll just try to get it running & think about what's next. I'm not a hater of nopeds other than having to do yearly registrations. That can get expensive.

Re: A new mini challenge: Suzuki FA50 and a few questions

Get a kit

Find a FZ or FS50 engine/trans; they're a two-speed, rather than the FA's single speed set up.

As Derek said, you can put a big bore kit on the Suzi engine that takes it out to a whopping 60cc and you could find a bigger carb and a chamber that could be adapted to fit.

I have an unrestored, '82 FS50 that amazingly survived a four-day off-road charity ride I participated in, a couple of years ago. Those ol' Suzuki Nopeds are surprisingly rugged, reliable machines - at least, mine is...

Look forward to seeing your build project.

SuziCreamcheese.jpg

^ That is a cool looking bike, I don't think we got those here, I missed an FA-50 last summer...too bad I understand they are fun.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Could anyone answer my first question about which way the motor spins? There's no markings like on Puchs. Thanks

> Charles Cole (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Could anyone answer my first question about which way the motor spins?

> There's no markings like on Puchs. Thanks

The motor spins clockwise , looking at it from the right side .

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Thanks, PD

In case you ever wonder that again , most small motors rotate in the direction of the majority of vehicle travel . ;)

It would require another section of transmission , at a cost of power loss and higher dollar outlay , if it rotated against the 'flow' .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account