Cleaning a muffler on 78 Hobbit PA50II

Joshua Houseworth /

The manual (and wiki) says to just pop off the 1 screw and clean away, but I like the idea of loosening the carbon by way of the grill. Has anyone set theirs on a hot gas grill? I dont have a charcoal one. Or any ideas on how to thoroughly clean it (tools used, etc.). Thanks!

Re: Cleaning a muffler on 78 Hobbit PA50II

You don't need a grill, just make a little pit on the ground and burn it for about 30 min. Gas could work potentially but it needs to be near glowing hot.

Pull the pipe and apply a good amount of oven cleaner down the header pipe .

let is set for an hour or so . Garden hose it out and do it again .

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Yes, the oven cleaner trick. Oven cleaner is Lye, a extremely strong chemical. I usually have a trash can full of a strong mix & dunk my pipes for several days. They come out right down to the metal if done on a regular basis. Will not distort the metal.

I just put some gas in mine and hang it on the fence and let it burn. Good idea...idk but it works okay enough. Just did a hobbit proma with moonshine heads.....

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just put some gas in mine and hang it on the fence and let it burn.

> Good idea...idk but it works okay enough. Just did a hobbit proma with

> moonshine heads.....

I've done the gas thing too , but the oven cleaner eats the carbon and doesn't try to burn anything down . ;)

Oh ya for sure much safer. Did oven clearner on Moby pipe. Came out nice.

Joshua Houseworth /

Thanks everyone. I think the oven cleaner suggestion will be my first choice!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account