chain drive honda hobbit questions

Im working on a chain drive hobbit - similar concept as that hotnready bike

Has anyone else tried this? Were there any issues with the transmission? How about overheating the top end? Im almost done with my build w/ a stock-ish 52 setup - I wasnt going to build a blaster if it was just a time bomb waiting to explode

Re: chain drive honda hobbit questions

So you're going to completely over engineer the drivetrain unnecessarily which will require a higher level understanding of cvt tuning, and you're asking questions simple questions about cooling?

Just trying to reach out to anyone familiar with that build to ask some general information...my bad

Totally normal JBOT /

If you're looking for speed, you don't need to do that stuff.

Just get a good big aftermarket head (modded puch or derbi), and start porting your kit, and learning about tuning. Tjt or dos variator, learn how to disassemble and mod your rear pulley. You have many steps to take before you'd be ready for that.

Your transmission can easily pull most kits to 60, problem is people don't spend time with learning transmission modding and tuning.

To actually answer the questions instead of lighting a fire under your ass......

Transmission should be fine. If you put a 45 sprocket on the rear hub like the bike you posted and use a puch where with the same 45 sprocket your not changing a thing to the way the trans works. So same gearing. If you put a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel like they did then it is a higher gearing for more speed but your also putting more strain on the bike to make up for it. So in other words don't think that making it chain drive and the gearing is going to make it faster. You actually have to build a decent motor that can pull it... I love this idea. They did a great job with thinking outside the box.

Emil Kniemel /

it seems like the point of the bike (which i think is super awesome) is to make a vertical engine chain drive hobbit-- to not necessarily be fast, but to just "do it".

i dont have any further input other than i just want to see it done cause it looks sick so far.

Yea. Everyone knows how to make a hobbit go fast, I just wanted to do something that LOOKED different.

I have 1:1 as far as the rear sprockets go

I was just wondering if that bike built in 2012 is still on the road and if so, what issues did they see?

My bike is already built and nearly finished. Just looking for any heads up advice.

Emil Kniemel /

> Tyler Shearer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yea. Everyone knows how to make a hobbit go fast, I just wanted to do

> something that LOOKED different.

>

> I have 1:1 as far as the rear sprockets go

>

> I was just wondering if that bike built in 2012 is still on the road and

> if so, what issues did they see?

>

> My bike is already built and nearly finished. Just looking for any heads

> up advice.

Yes and the way it looks is amazing. There are very few mopeds (i hope you're keeping pedals) that the engine actually sits inside the frame rather than underneath it. Can you update this thread with all your pics? I've seen your bike(s) on reddit but i dont check that r/moped that much.

Yea I'm not doing anything crazy w the gearing...same size puch sprockets on rear wheel and transmission

Mainly wondering if they saw heating issues with moving the motor up that high and if the puch sprocket matted to hobbit wheel is strong enough to not explode

I know

My question is in regards to how strong the puch sprocket mounted to rear hobbit hub is....has it still held up 5 yrs later?

I figure w a stockish 52 setup it'll be fine, but wonder if this will be a weak point should I build up the motor.

I know a LC heat or kit would solve any overheating issues (I have an indigan head sitting here) but I'd love to keep it air cooled assuming it runs cool enough

I have figured out a way to run the pedals but I think I'm going to add a hillbilly kick start too

Emil Kniemel /

Click flat view.

Ive only taken two pics of the build - I am terrible with taking pictures of anything I build or modify - Hell, I barely have "before" pics of anything I've worked on. But...I basically got this hobbit for free sitting in a field and I had a spare frame/subframe laying around so I basically just chopped up one of the frames and part of another frame and welded it back together to make the bends, then welded in some random tubing I had laying around. Then I chopped up the spare subframe for the engine and trans mounts and welded that shit to the frame. The rear end is made from two power washer frames I had laying around from the small engine repair I do on the side. The steel tubing was already pre-bent at right angles so I went with it. Handmade gas tank. The idea was to spend 0$ and build the gnarliest/ugliest/rattiest bike I could using only parts I had laying around. I made the welds ugly as fuck, i'm not grinding anything down and making it prettier in anyway. The engine is basically a stock 52 and carb with big custom intake and I'm in the process of making a pipe for it using some random tomos bi-turbo or something. (the engine in the photo is just a mockup, i'm not using that hpi, I was rebuilding mine at the time)

I built two "boardtracker" bobber/copper bikes this winter...one was a really pretty sachs and the other is a really ugly hobbit - I would love to see any other boardtracker styled mopeds out there - I've only seen a puch pinto with a curvy/swoopy tank that was kinda board track style.

I feel like I've posted these all recently - so sorry If it feels like I'm spamming

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 12.51.48 PM.png
Rydy0IF.jpg

Emil Kniemel /

Not spam. Now its all organized here.

That’s not going to cool properly with the fins like that. Can’t make a horizontal top end vertical.

> Ben Whittle Wrote:

> That’s not going to cool properly with the fins like that. Can’t make a

> horizontal top end vertical.

I'd bet you could . Just takes a little creativity . ;)

Well it's still going to overheat pretty badly fast.

Yea I once put Peugeot kit on a BETA. (Horizontal find were vertical) and it was scorching real quick, and hobbits don't cool well anyway. But like mentioned it's a very approachable issue- fan or ducting. With the skill and effort demonstrated I have confidence cooling will be dealt with.

I like chain drive hobbit idea a lot for 3 reasons.

1) tunable gearing is cool, extending the range for varios. Debris are lame but they did get that piece right and that's a big part of Why people like them (despite their inherent lameness)

2) WHEELS! there are way more selection for better chain driven wheels. Hobbit mags are limited expensive and terrible brakes. W a chain, a rear disk is a much easier task now also.

3) swingarm- so many swingarm mods made for hobbits, just get a decent frame and jam

I was looking into torque converters for karting- should be very simple to adapt

I have a LC head on the bench and it will get used if its needed. I was going to start off with a stock top end w/ temp gauge

But I was asking if anyone familiar with that hotnready bike bike had personal experience or knowledge in regards to overheating due to moving the engine (the engine is much more hidden in that build)

Again, if anyone with familiar with that build would like to chime in, that would be cool - its not like I am going to un-build my bike - just looking for information from the only other example I can find.

thanks - yes, i know the possibility of overheating is there - I have ideas and plans for this - this build is not for practicality, its just something i've wanted to do for a while and so far I have basically nothing into it - its just a ratty bar hopper for riding around the 3mi radius that is most of my life

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Well it's still going to overheat pretty badly fast.

Seems to me , if it were done right , overheating wouldn't be a problem .

Maybe I'm overlooking something ?

I very specifically remember riding next to thom on his chain drive hobbit in Nashville and him amazed that it hadn't seized yet with head temps hitting 500. Somehow I don't think it did seize and those were some long rides, but fucker was scorching hot. In my head it was 520, but that has to be wrong cuz I think trailtech maxes at 500. Pipe fell off and kept rippin it. Damn, I miss deadpeds rallies

Beach Club Nick /

> P D Wrote:

> > DPC Ryan Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Well it's still going to overheat pretty badly fast.

>

> Seems to me , if it were done right , overheating wouldn't be a problem

> .

>

> Maybe I'm overlooking something ?

If you liquid cool it right, there should be no overheating.

Totally normal JBOT /

You didn't say you were almost done. Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see it done

I can't recommend a WC head enough. I never worry about heat related issues.

> Tyler Shearer Wrote:

> Ive only taken two pics of the build - I am terrible with taking

> pictures of anything I build or modify - Hell, I barely have "before"

> pics of anything I've worked on. But...I basically got this hobbit for

> free sitting in a field and I had a spare frame/subframe laying around

> so I basically just chopped up one of the frames and part of another

> frame and welded it back together to make the bends, then welded in some

> random tubing I had laying around. Then I chopped up the spare subframe

> for the engine and trans mounts and welded that shit to the frame. The

> rear end is made from two power washer frames I had laying around from

> the small engine repair I do on the side. The steel tubing was already

> pre-bent at right angles so I went with it. Handmade gas tank. The idea

> was to spend 0$ and build the gnarliest/ugliest/rattiest bike I could

> using only parts I had laying around. I made the welds ugly as fuck, i'm

> not grinding anything down and making it prettier in anyway. The engine

> is basically a stock 52 and carb with big custom intake and I'm in the

> process of making a pipe for it using some random tomos bi-turbo or

> something. (the engine in the photo is just a mockup, i'm not using that

> hpi, I was rebuilding mine at the time)

>

> I built two "boardtracker" bobber/copper bikes this winter...one was a

> really pretty sachs and the other is a really ugly hobbit - I would love

> to see any other boardtracker styled mopeds out there - I've only seen a

> puch pinto with a curvy/swoopy tank that was kinda board track style.

>

> I feel like I've posted these all recently - so sorry If it feels like

> I'm spamming

LC head seems like a real obvious answer here. or a fan. or both.

Sweet concept. Nice proportion & lines. I'm thinking an inverted wishbone on the front of a frame like that running under the engine and tied to the lower weld on the rear with the engine matching the front frame angle would be killer and might solve both the cooling and exhaust clearance problems...?? Could use smaller tubing too. Maybe on V2.0

Emil Kniemel /

Anyone have more info or updates on this bike?

> blah blah blah blah Wrote:

> Sweet concept. Nice proportion & lines. I'm thinking an inverted

> wishbone on the front of a frame like that running under the engine and

> tied to the lower weld on the rear with the engine matching the front

> frame angle would be killer and might solve both the cooling and exhaust

> clearance problems...?? Could use smaller tubing too. Maybe on V2.0

yea double cradle would have been the better route if I was building a legit frame from scratch - this was more of just weld random shit together with a shitty welder and hope for the best (no doubt the frame has weak points and would never pass and kind of inspection)

I built another bike this winter (hardtail, boartracker, handmade tank, etc) and took my time and made that shit fancy - this hobbit is the exact oposit

the exhaust is the only thing left to figure out - rebuilt the engine and rounded off a derbi flat reed 2petal block and shoved that under a hacked up mlm intake - the carb flips perfectly out the side and is level - I plan on just welding a beat-up biturbo to a 52 header for that straight pipe look

Franken-zombie hack-weld beater mopeds can be as impressive as the detailed custom projects. The best part is that ideas come to life affordably... keep the pics coming!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account