Help! 78 Honda Hobbit won’t start!

Joshua Houseworth /

My 78 Honda Hobbit PA50II arrived a couple days ago. I added premix and tried to fire it up, but it wouldn’t start. Seller said it ran great, but then drained it completely and it sat for a while. It was shipped to me dry. I am not as mechanically inclined as most others, I would assume, so if there is anyone out there that can give me step by step instruction on what to do to fire it up, I would appreciate it! It could be something simple that I am missing!

Re: Help! 78 Honda Hobbit won’t start!

Read the wiki, clean the carb. Then, clean it about 6 more times.

Is the petcock to "on"? Kill switch to "run"? Rear wheel engaged?

Joshua Houseworth /

Petcock is on, kill switch is on “run,” and rear wheel engaged (i.e. in moped mode).

Key on? install a new sparkplug in her.

Joshua Houseworth /

Key is in and on. New spark plug did not do anything. When I pedal, it tries to kick on (head lamp comes on but dimly). No matter what I do from there (keep pedaling, give it throttle, etc.), it turns off as soon as I stop pedaling.

Choke set? If so don't twist throttle until it starts, as it will release the choke. There is a de-comp lever, I never use mine, but maybe it would help you?

Joshua Houseworth /

I set the choke, but I was throttling so I guess I never gave it a chance since it kicked off every time. What does the de-comp lever do? When I was younger, I dont remember ever having to use that to start mine up.

Joshua Houseworth /

Is it difficult to remove the carburetor? Or difficult to re-install? The cleaning part looks tedious (which I dont mind), but simple.

It is a compression release, can make for easier starting, never use it on my Hobbit, but I need it on my Motobecane. Try not throttling right away if it pops off.

there is a little screen filter in the petcock, maybe check that, if there was crud in the tank, it may have settled when the tank was drained.

Joshua Houseworth /

Thanks everyone! I have a few things to try now. I’ll report back, either way - hoping this works!

Emil Kniemel /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Read the wiki, clean the carb. Then, clean it about 6 more times.

This.

The headlight nwill glow even if the spark plug is not in the bike. That just means you are spinning the engine. They are totally different circuits.

Joshua Houseworth /

I did not know that! I intend to perform the spark plug test today after work.

Joshua Houseworth /
F6F473B8-D193-45AA-8F5E-A92E3D277403.jpeg

Update: I am not getting any spark. Also, I noticed this piece of tubing hanging from the left side of the moped (see photo). Help!

Jack Rutherford /

That's probably just a drain hose for the carb.

Yeah it's way longer than it should be though. Try light sandpaper on the points, but be ready to replace them.

Joshua Houseworth /

Thanks! Thats what i figured.

They have a tuff carb to get super clean. Someone make a flashpoint of the cleaning process.

Double Trouble Dan /

I just got done with one. Had to clean the carb 2 times. A rubber tipped blow gun on a compressor is the best way on these after the jet and pilot tube is cleaned.

Joshua Houseworth /

Anyone on here live in NJ and interested in helping me (in person) to get this started? I’d like to learn as I go along.

Roger Thedodger /

The obvious solution to this is take your Hobbit to the Honda Dealer, or a local moped shop. If there is a moped repair shop where you live that would be a first choice. Just an FYI. ALL (repeat) ALL motorized vehicles sold RAN at one time, what you didn’t do was verify that it CURRENTLY runs. The BIG LIE is: “It ran when I parked it” Now you have a problem. With your level of mechanical skill, you might want to opt for the moped repair shop, they are usually small and give personalized service. They would be able to (possibly) provide a tutorial on what to check, how to check it and maybe how to fix the simple things.

Double Trouble Dan /

Richard

call or text:

☎ (862) 252-0246

Joshua Houseworth /

Thanks for your feedback! I have someone coming to look at it this weekend. My last resort is to haul it to a Honda dealer.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Use the search & Wiki. LOTS of threads on the topic. Hobbit carbs are not the easiest to get completely clean, but function well if they are. If you can properly clean a Hobbit carb, then you'll be able to clean any other. Compressed air is mandatory. Next will be the clogged up muffler. And though they're very quiet, they're also the most restrictive of any Moped muffler I know, and will limit how fast you can go.

Do Honda dealers actually still work on these things?

The one near me would not when I got mine and that was yrs ago. But you can download the service manual, and still buy many oem Honda parts, with these any competent vintage motorcycle shop should be able to service it. You may need some special tools. It is best to try and fix it yourself, or find a moped specific shop as they will have pullers etc and know what you brought them.

No they will laugh at you.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> No they will laugh at you.

Exactly. Left me scratching my head when someone actually suggested that.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account