converting my motobecane to top tank

Lawrence Veinotte /

who has done a top tank on a moped like mine? also it doesn't have a swing arm, maybe i'm better off to just build a new frame.

20180311_185952.jpg

Re: converting my motobecane to top tank

Just build a cafe frame . Your frame looks to be in nice condition . I'd leave it original .

Lawrence Veinotte /

that's what i'm thinking, I really like this bike

xtrpepo-moped-racer-9.jpg

Don't cut that bike up, it is way too nice, get a Tomos or a Magdumb if you want a top tank, if you really want to have fun buy yourself an MB-5.

I think I'd use a tube frame for a track bike .

Open up the exhaust, port the stock cyl, get a Del carb, appreciate that bike for what it is, don't make it something it is not, and keep the sidecovers! :) GREAT looking bike. That was not designed to go fast, 40 would be pushing it.

Bruce Zapper /

That thing is complete! Sell it and get something else!

Tobias Doesn't Care (ง •̀_•́)ง /

If you want to still do a moby toptank, start with a 50v frame. That is the 40T hardtail frame, the 50v has the swingarm and is more common.

If you want a fast moby, i'd take inspiration from either JBOT or Tomahawk. So many other bikes that are better suited (and/or easier to covert to) toptank tho (imo).

Lawrence Veinotte /

I think i'll just keep this bike, I need it for the papers, i'll build my own frame with a swing arm, some little dirt bike forks, i'll keep the wheels I like the spokes, I want to do up the engine, keep all the stock parts, to sell this bike and look for another would be hard, there just are no mopeds around here, I don't recall seeing another one on the road.

Thinkin about converting my olady to a top tank.

those hard tail mobys are sooooo sexy, and that headlight, easily one of the best looking mopeds ever, especially of the major available models.

there are a buttload of French tuners built crazy motobecanes, tomahawk's the only dude really bring that to the states and translating it to English. Frequently they're running top bars, like a cross bar, but almost never top tanks - the major issue being the moby's tank is in the frame, so:

1) the frame/tank is too wide for most tanks (in the one you pictured looks like they maybe cut the sides and rewelded it thinner.)

2) you're wasting all that gas capacity of the frame

3) frame tank makes welding in a cross bar less straightforward for the top tank supports

4) they look great as step throughs.

very few custom tuner mobys are top tank and those that are are mostly full custom frames lor low weight and flex, parallelogram engine mounts so the pipe etc can move perfectly as the bike variates etc

and that one isn't even using a real top tank - those who need the appearance of a top tank or the benefit of having support for your knees on hard leaning racing, there's fairing sets like that, these:

or just build fairings on step thru and jammmmm

Ooooh, a canadian west coast Moby, l have had 2 of those. If its early 70's, then the speedo is 60mph (not kmh). rare for a moby, since its a canada only model. dont hack it, keep it stock looking!

Lawrence Veinotte /

here is my speedo, need to give it a cleaning

20180403_172856.jpg

Bruce Zapper /

I guess that is kilometers per hour? never seen one.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Keep it original & find a beater to mod.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account