Sachs question for Mbartell

Matt Wilson /

I have removed sealed, and reassembled the crankcase. I and hopefully it will be leak free. I plan to test it off the bike as soon as I get a new transmission cap screw. I really hope its leak free...

Everything is back together again but I was wondering if I will need to readjust the points. When I removed the three screws I was careful not to touch the points as they seemed to work ok before.

Matt

Re: Sachs question for Mbartell

The sachs points are fairly easy to adjust. Before you put your jug back on, make sure that your tdc mark lines up with the notch on the case.

If you have a different flywheel, other than the one that was originally on the motor, the tdc mark and the notch on the case may not line up, and you will have to make your own mark.... that's why you need to check it before you put the jug back on.

The tdc mark on the flywheel is the second one, and I can't remember what it's labeled as. The other mark on the flywheel is the timing mark. You have to adjust the plate so that the points just start to open up as the timing mark gets to the notch or mark on the case. Make sure that the points are in the same orientation as when you took it apart, on most that means away from the jug.

Be careful that you pull the wires gently thru the hole on the top of the motor before you tighten the ignition plate, it's possible to pinch them apart if there is slack in them.

Don't forget- once you have your timing adjusted, tighten all of the screws(or allen bolts, if you switched them) then take them back out one at a time, replace the lock-washer and use thread lock on them. Otherwise, they will fall out and wedge between the charging coils and the flywheel, and you'll think the motor seized.

That's about all I can think of for timing on the sachs.

Oh -- if you ever do need the flywheel pulled try a lawn mower and small engine place. They usually have the standard bosch puller, most motorcycle places don't.

Matt Wilson /

I guess I wrote that poorly.

When I split the transmission case, I removed the 3 screws under the flywheel not the clutch as I wrote before.

After reassembling the the transmission, I reattatched the 3 screws. I did nothing to the points. Do you think that they will need readjustment?

Thanks

Matt

You just need to make sure that you put them back where they were.

I just described how to adjust the points, if you wanted to, because it's hard to get it all set up properly after you take the motor apart.

I'm also saying that the components may have been swapped around before you got the moped- that's why you have to make sure that you have TDC marked on your case.

You don't need to bend the points like it says in Fred's guide, but cleaning them wouldn't hurt.

Mike

Matt Wilson /

Thanks so much

Matt

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account