What are these for on Hobbit swing arm?

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Can't figure out what these sheet metal 'cup' and 'pointer' are on the left side , just ahead of the lower stock shock mounting. Also there's a tab on the left side, right next to the airbox, that can be seen right under the mono shock lower mount. Extends out from the swing arm & looks to have an indentation or hook? Hard to see in the photo.

IMG_0601.jpg

Can't find a use for it either. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks (edited)

Re: What are these for on Hobbit swing arm?

What's that frame and Wheres the tank go???

i dunno what you're talking about. use ms paint to put arrows on that photo.

looks like theres

1) a custom tab for the monoshock,

9) there's some little hook tabs to hold wires/cables

3)there's the centerstand mounts on the bottom and a little tab (4) for the centerstand return spring.

there's the engine mounts up front (2), the air filter hole in the airbox with retaining clip holes(5)

6) pedal shaft and

7) I dunno why but they left the rear shock mount tabs on for whatever reason...

and 8)'s the rear wheel mounts.

wowwy

hobitswing.JPG

You mean the factory side cover attachment points?

i think you mean the clips for the tire pump?

Emil Kniemel /

Is that custom frame for that modded subframe?

Can you bolt that all together with wheels?

Hobbits came with tire pumps?

Emil Kniemel /

Learn something new every day, got to look at my service manual, I thought I was doing well having/knowing about the tool kit in the frame tube...lol! :)

Hobbit pumped are great they got s first flexy tube time for hard to reach valves and easy fills. Still hand pumps are like emergency only and suck even then. I'd almost rather push to a gas station or just come back rather than keep trying to fill a slowleaker tire with a hand pump. And unlike a bicycle you're not changing that tube on the roadside

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Yes, #7 & #9. I also didn't know of a tire pump, however it looks like one would fit between those 2 points. Unfortunately I didn't have a close up of those 2 spots. One of the things I forgot to mention is by tig welding up all the places that are done with a spot welder, at the factory, plus adding a few gussets to the swinger will make it much stiffer. Basically fusing the sheet metal edges together will reduce flex. I believe that a few 'adjustments' to the swinger will help with everything, including carb placement/accessibility, without adding much weight. I'll get some better pix in the future. I think doing a 'carbon wrap' would also stiffen the swinger without adding much weight. I work with Cal Poly HPV program, in the engineering dept, and they throw away yards of pre-impregnated carbon away when they do their 'aero' lay-ups. I just need to have a swinger ready for when they do it, otherwise it just goes to the trash.

Emil Kniemel /

Can you mock up this frame please, still curious :)

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

@ Emil

Yes, Those parts will bolt together. I started this project a few years ago and got side tracked with other things, like many of us do.. The rear shock mounts don't really need to be there any longer, however substantially stiffening the swinger would be advantageous. I'll probably remove the pump mounts. I am using things that don't normally be used, and when done will be a 'surprise' to many on MA. I'm hoping it all works out. There's no reason why it should not. (edited)

Dat rake doe

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account