Re: What's the dumbest mistake you've made while working on your ped?

> Cory (SPICYBOY) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tried to choke a vespa with a rag. Flywheel of death decided that was

> really stupid. Flywheel grabbed rag, rag was wrapped around fingers,

> finger stopped flywheel.

>

> !HATE VESPA HARD!

OUCH,Cory!! I've gotten my fingers in the magneto fins of trowel machines and lawn mowers and always wondered that I didn't break the bones. don-ohio

When you spend 6 months trying to get a bike running. I had a bike that had spark, gas, and no air leaks. But I couldn't get it to run. I'd bought a new HT coil to replace the old bad one. Now I had spark where I'd had none, but still no riding.

I finally swapped out the engine for a great one I knew worked. But then it wouldn't start either.

So I learned two things:

1 Adjustable gap spark tester is more reliable measure of spark than color or touching the plug to the outside of the cylinder.

2 Just because a part is new doesn't mean it works.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Needed a new 608 bearing for my Tomos clutch cover, decided I'd steal one from a fidget spinner I found. Pressing real hard with my thumb, my fingernail caught on the plastic as the bearing gave way. Managed to separate the front half of my thumb nail from the flesh below it....

Just as my thumb finished healing from getting caught between a chain and sprocket few months ago....

Stings like b**** ( both my thumb, and my pride)

IMG2143982059.jpg

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Cory (SPICYBOY) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Tried to choke a vespa with a rag. Flywheel of death decided that was

>

> > really stupid. Flywheel grabbed rag, rag was wrapped around fingers,

>

> > finger stopped flywheel.

>

> >

>

> > !HATE VESPA HARD!

>

> OUCH,Cory!! I've gotten my fingers in the magneto fins of trowel

> machines and lawn mowers and always wondered that I didn't break the

> bones. don-ohio

I ran my finger through the rear pulley on my vespa at a stop light not too long ago. It all happened so fast and im really lucky i was wearing like 3 layers of gloves and still have my fingertip. Good times.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

Forgot to tighten the front axle after having the front wheel off. Wheel came off at around 30mph, forks dug into the pavement and my face took the fall. Several stitches and lots of cool road rash.

Starting Brian’s freshly kitted cobra hobbit for the first time with the throttle stuck wide open with no kill switch or easy way to shut it off. It literally climbed the walls, actual skid marks on the walls of my garage.

First kitted bike I built I put the piston in upside down and didn’t upset from the size 48 that was in it. Seized HARD on a long downhill with maybe 10 miles on everything. Now we use what’s left of the piston as a ceremonial shot glass.

Bike broke down six miles from home with no tools. Pushed it home and as soon as I got to my driveway I realized I hadn’t tried switching the petcock to reserve. Fired right up!

Had a loose spark plug boot which fell off while riding. “Easy fix” I thought to myself as I reached down to fix it without even stopping. Got shocked pretty bad.

There’s more buuuut I think that pretty much sums up how dumb I am.

Reading moped army

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Removing a jet with an impact

was rebuilding friends Honda motor when I was 15 had to ride my ped far to pick him up rings anyways I broke one of the rings and was so embarrassed I used it anyways and it started and ran well it lasted 2 days and tore the inside of the piston jug up like a tiger scratched it with its claws. To this day he thinks they just crapped out lol

My Tomos' spark plug boot was arcing off the cylinder because it was missing a piece turned my whole motor and frame into like an electric fence zapped the heck out of me , also it had a bent spark plug tip and I tried to straighten it and it snapped right off only plug I had 8(.

Got my finger stuck in the sprocked and chain while trying to clean the chain lol ouch. and last I remember one time I was riding my old Honda express and thought I lost my wallot so I grabbed the throttle with my left hand to check well I was going down a hill at 35 with 4 cars behind me and I hit a bump and the handle bars twisted side ways and I did a face plant and the noped flipped end over end and I got knocked out woke up all busted up to people all around me and a busted up ride and the guy behind me said I scared him to death and he thought I was dead that was just 1 of my crashes lol.......note to self buy a helmet!!!

Captain Janeway /

> Derek Allison Wrote:

> was rebuilding friends Honda motor when I was 15 had to ride my ped far

> to pick him up rings anyways I broke one of the rings and was so

> embarrassed I used it anyways and it started and ran well it lasted 2

> days and tore the inside of the piston jug up like a tiger scratched it

> with its claws. To this day he thinks they just crapped out lol

>

>

>

> My Tomos' spark plug boot was arcing off the cylinder because it was

> missing a piece turned my whole motor and frame into like an electric

> fence zapped the heck out of me , also it had a bent spark plug tip and

> I tried to straighten it and it snapped right off only plug I had 8(.

>

> Got my finger stuck in the sprocked and chain while trying to clean the

> chain lol ouch. and last I remember one time I was riding my old Honda

> express and thought I lost my wallot so I grabbed the throttle with my

> left hand to check well I was going down a hill at 35 with 4 cars behind

> me and I hit a bump and the handle bars twisted side ways and I did a

> face plant and the noped flipped end over end and I got knocked out woke

> up all busted up to people all around me and a busted up ride and the

> guy behind me said I scared him to death and he thought I was dead that

> was just 1 of my crashes lol.......note to self buy a helmet!!!

You win. Especially the no helmet part

Beach Club Nick /

Not a moped but a gokart I had when I was 14. I bought it and drove it home not realizing it didn't have a killswitch. It had an old Briggs motor with an exposed spark plug cap that was really just a metal hook. I went to pull it off to cut the engine, accidentally touched the metal hook and almost stopped my heart.

Sand blasting the myself. Bad ideal.

Brad William /

Couple of weeks of frustration.

Newport was running very fine all summer until the end of a long ride two weeks back. Suddenly running like shit. Next day hard to start and veerrrrry slow acceleration.

Two weeks worth of changing plugs, points, condenser, retiming, re-jetting (at least five times), checking compression, making sure the rings were intact, screwing with idle mix setting and needle positions while on the road, chasing vacuum leaks, etc , etc.

Last night while doing more of the same I noticed that there was conspicuously little smoke at the pipe while (trying to) revving the engine on its stand. First panic was that I put unmixed gas in the tank and destroyed the engine. Then a hunch.

I removed the "stinger" muffler at the end of the pipe. Started the engine. Holy shit. Raced out the drive and down the street feeling 500 lbs lighter. What a nightmare.

Evidently during that long ride two weeks back at some point a mass of carbon built up in the pipe dislodged and made it's way to the secondary silencer and re-lodged itself firmly. Not suspecting such a sudden "carbon buildup" since the bike was running beautifully only minutes before I guessed wrongly at just about everything else besides that and went right down the maddening 2 stroke tuning rabbit hole for a couple of weeks.

Fuck.

It's well tuned now at least!

At least I didn't do this....

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-dl-1000-took-my-hand-off-tried-to.1131836/

A friend of mine just got a black eye when removing a spark plug, when it got loose he rammed his head into the handlebars. Pretty hilarious.

Cleats Onionpockets /

Accidentally cross threaded a spark plug on an E50, and was dumb enough to start up the engine. Trashed the crank, bearings, and top end.

assembling a brand new gila kit onto an e50... dremeled a nice window into the new piston, chamfered it beautifully.... then realized it was on the wrong side.

Charles McCusker /

So far the worst was pulling clutch on my e50 and warped the threads on the crank. got away with forcing the nut back on but ruined taking it off the next time. That engine had a bad cylinder/piston anyway, scored to hell by a previous owner.

Maybe not the dumbest, but certainly the dumbest recent mistake (still insanely, unforgivably dumb).

Ever place the lock nut (loosely) on the end of the engine-mount bolt for safekeeping, then forget to actually screw it down before taking off for work? Yeah...

Luckily the tension broke the seal between the cylinder and exhaust. I parked expecting some mild exhaust leak only to find the engine dangling awkwardly by an inch of unsecured bolt.

Captain Janeway /

Let's add one: finding out that you shouldn't tighten down an expansion bolt too much. The mother will back itself out. Bike stopped dead on me during a test ride and I couldn't figure it out. Pushed the thing home, then saw it. Just groaned. Then got to spend another hour putting in a new one and trying to line up the halves of the bike to get it back together. Takes me forever because due to my height I have a really hard time lining things up.

I never make mistakes

Angry Hipster /

I bought a bike with a new top end, wouldn't run, turns out no ring was installed.

It took me a long time to figure it out since I just took compression for granted.

Just fastened the crew of the float chamber too tight so the screw threads broke which caused leakade of the carburetor.

putting new tires on ped, had bike on workbench. just finished tightening up rear axle bolts trying to eyeball rear alignment and tire clearance spun rear wheel went for another spin and instead of spinning tire again i pulled on the chain towards the rear tire stupidly. the tip of my thumb went right between chain and sprocket heard pop noise as a tooth went into my thumb and came out through my nail. i grabbed the rear tire to stop it, thumb was stuck had to spin wheel backwards to get my thumb free. just glad i run my chains kinda loose or i might have lost the end of my thumb.

Jack MT Goatheads MPC /

Forcing tire on and breaking the bead. Hell of a sound! Rides kinda lumpy but still works.

Slapped an hpi on my ns50 to avoid the mess previous owner had made of the wires. Set timing using the marks on the part instead of actually checking tdc/ timing light. Started it up, clutch out, bike went backwards. Retarded the timing “enough”, got it running forwards. Took it on a night blast through manhattan and it died on me as I was cresting the Williamsburg bridge less than a half a mile from my shop.

I opened the cylinder up to find this. Always check your timing kids! (edited)

3ABB30A6-B067-4DFB-9D7D-80E972F43021.jpeg

> kevin - Wrote:

> putting new tires on ped, had bike on workbench. just finished

> tightening up rear axle bolts trying to eyeball rear alignment and tire

> clearance spun rear wheel went for another spin and instead of spinning

> tire again i pulled on the chain towards the rear tire stupidly. the tip

> of my thumb went right between chain and sprocket heard pop noise as a

> tooth went into my thumb and came out through my nail. i grabbed the

> rear tire to stop it, thumb was stuck had to spin wheel backwards to get

> my thumb free. just glad i run my chains kinda loose or i might have

> lost the end of my thumb.

Same exact thing happened to me with my tomos not too long ago! came very close to passing out from queasiness/shock. I became very clammy, pale, and lightheaded......

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

> > kevin - Wrote:

>

>

> > putting new tires on ped, had bike on workbench. just finished

>

> > tightening up rear axle bolts trying to eyeball rear alignment and

> tire

>

> > clearance spun rear wheel went for another spin and instead of

> spinning

>

> > tire again i pulled on the chain towards the rear tire stupidly. the

> tip

>

> > of my thumb went right between chain and sprocket heard pop noise as a

>

> > tooth went into my thumb and came out through my nail. i grabbed the

>

> > rear tire to stop it, thumb was stuck had to spin wheel backwards to

> get

>

> > my thumb free. just glad i run my chains kinda loose or i might have

>

> > lost the end of my thumb.

>

> Same exact thing happened to me with my tomos not too long ago! came

> very close to passing out from queasiness/shock. I became very clammy,

> pale, and lightheaded......

I've heard that smelling too much gasoline will do that . ;)

"Re: What's the dumbest mistake you've made while working on your ped?"

Thinking I was done......

the most recent one is I was de-rusting my rd50 tank and it sprung a small leak so as I was cleaning the spot to put jbweld on it I made the hole much bigger, so I mixed up more jbwled make a good size patch and let it sit overnight. was cleaning the shit off of It the next day poked a hole right through the other side (fuck). mixed more jbweld patch that spot, rinse out the inside with gas and red kote it and calling it good

Hehehehe...true

> P D Wrote:

> > Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

>

>

> > > kevin - Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > putting new tires on ped, had bike on workbench. just finished

>

> >

>

> > > tightening up rear axle bolts trying to eyeball rear alignment and

>

> > tire

>

> >

>

> > > clearance spun rear wheel went for another spin and instead of

>

> > spinning

>

> >

>

> > > tire again i pulled on the chain towards the rear tire stupidly. the

>

> > tip

>

> >

>

> > > of my thumb went right between chain and sprocket heard pop noise as

> a

>

> >

>

> > > tooth went into my thumb and came out through my nail. i grabbed the

>

> >

>

> > > rear tire to stop it, thumb was stuck had to spin wheel backwards to

>

> > get

>

> >

>

> > > my thumb free. just glad i run my chains kinda loose or i might have

>

> >

>

> > > lost the end of my thumb.

>

> >

>

> > Same exact thing happened to me with my tomos not too long ago! came

>

> > very close to passing out from queasiness/shock. I became very clammy,

>

> > pale, and lightheaded......

>

> I've heard that smelling too much gasoline will do that . ;)

Not a moped but I did something stupid to the cv80 I had figuring it was an 80s scooter I tried to jump start it off my truck and instantly fried the electrics

Who would of thought that a Yamaha from the 80s would be 6v

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account