crank

How do I remove the crank on a puch maxi? I bent the crank and it is hitting my proma exhaust

Re: crank

The pedal crank?

yead. on the exhaust side.

Matt Wilson /

Toehead you probably didn't bend it. On my maxi the crank just clips the biturbo exhaust.

Its easier to bend the exhaust mount than to bend a crank.

To remove the crank loosen the 10mm bolt on the crank, by the axle. Then with a hammer hit the bolt away from the threaded side. If you bend the cotter pin (the proper name) you can get another from a bike shop for less than a dollar

Matt

okay, i'll try that. i put electrical tape on the exhaust to stop it from getting scratched while i waited for a reply. i'll try to bend the exhaust mount.

i can't seem to get it off. :(

Ron Brown /

Is the cotter pin stuck?

i don't even see a cotter pin. It is a puch newport L, a model of maxi.

Ron Brown /

Toehead,

I am not sure if your crank has them, but the cotter pin is the pin that passes through the crank next to the spindle and has a nut on one end. If you don't have this, what does hold your crank on?

Ron

yeah, i have that, but that's not what i call a cotte pin :) how do you get it out? I tried banging it with a a hammer, but it doesn't work. Anyway, i took a propane torch, heated the crank red hot, and bent it away from the exhaust :)

Ron Brown /

On a bicycle, it is called a cotter pin. Blame the English.

The end you see sticking out opposite the threaded end is as big as the pin gets, it has a yapered flat on one side which registers with a flat on the crank. To remove it, remove the nut, then whack the threaded end with a good hammer.

Ron

yeah, i did, and bent the treads.:( now i have to toch it up witha dremmel

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account