Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

I was watching Fuzzydicepimp on youtube, he was adding a supercharger to his 78' trans am in this particular video...

Anyway, he was removing the valve covers, and i saw that there were silicone gaskets sealing it up.

Would there be a way to make gaskets out of such a material in the moped world? I think the reusability, durability, and ease of removal would be amazing....not having to scrape away, cut or buy new paper gaskets for your clutch covers and intakes would be neat....

Just a thought

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Not sure if they make tough enough silicone to form thin enough gaskets that would hold up .

I usually cut gaskets from rubberized gasket material .

They do a good job of sealing and most often are reusable .

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

oiled triscuit box works best. family size cheerio for derbi case.

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Silicone is not a very good ideal, Bits of it will break off and get in to bearings or other really bad places. If it gets in the rings it wont burn off and wipe out the rings.

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Silicone is not a very good ideal, Bits of it will break off and get in

> to bearings or other really bad places. If it gets in the rings it wont

> burn off and wipe out the rings.

You are thinking of a very different type of silicone.....i dont mean the type you squeeze out of a tube.

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

> mit mortso Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> oiled triscuit box works best. family size cheerio for derbi case.

Way back when , I've made gaskets from cereal boxes . They do hold surprisingly well .

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

When I was young we would use the cardboard backing that woman's nylons were packaged in. Mom's would always save them for my dad and I to use to make gaskets. Cereal box was the second choice.

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

You guys seemed to have missed the point of the thread. I know how to make gaskets. It can be tedious and very annoying. The point was to see if anyone knew how to get silicone gaskets or silicone gasket material that you can make once and reuse forever.

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You guys seemed to have missed the point of the thread. I know how to

> make gaskets. It can be tedious and very annoying. The point was to see

> if anyone knew how to get silicone gaskets or silicone gasket material

> that you can make once and reuse forever.

Exactly why I wrote : "Not sure if they make tough enough silicone to form thin enough gaskets that would hold up ."

I doubt there is such a thing , but , there may be . It would likely be at a price point way beyond any mopeders budget .

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You guys seemed to have missed the point of the thread. I know how to

>

> > make gaskets. It can be tedious and very annoying. The point was to

> see

>

> > if anyone knew how to get silicone gaskets or silicone gasket material

>

> > that you can make once and reuse forever.

>

> Exactly why I wrote : "Not sure if they make tough enough silicone to

> form thin enough gaskets that would hold up ."

>

> I doubt there is such a thing , but , there may be . It would likely be

> at a price point way beyond any mopeders budget .

I should have said that i wasnt referring to your post when i said that^^^^,rather everyone else

If i could buy a sheet of it i would cut my own too....i wonder if its even sold in sheet form?

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

I used these Teflon gaskets a couple times. Might be what you are looking for

http://supermopeds.com/puchenginegaskets.html

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

^yes those teflon gaskets kind of rule!

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

I looked and found this 1/32 clear silicone rubber gasket sheet for $16 on amazon. Not a bad price! Big enough to make a few....

Silicone Film High Temp Thin Rubber Sheet Gasket Super Clear Flexible 12x20x1/32 inch

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FFJGSC/

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

If you go that route , let us know how they work out , please . :)

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you go that route , let us know how they work out , please . :)

Its in my cart :)

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

If silicone rubber gaskets are that great, VW/BMW/Audi hasn't learned how to harness their potential yet.

Just sayin'.

Re: Silicone/rubber gaskets?

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If silicone rubber gaskets are that great, VW/BMW/Audi hasn't learned

> how to harness their potential yet.

>

> Just sayin'.

By that logic, 3.5mm headphone jacks arent that great either. Neither are oil pan drain bolts.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).