Got my Sachs yesterday (63 miles)

Eric DeSachs /

C39E3CBA-60B2-43E0-806B-7D3EE3C305AB.jpeg

I’m completely new to the moped world, so I’m still diving into the wiki and many other things before I ask a million questions. But I got my 1980 Sachs 505/1D. This was a part of a bigger deal that fell through; but I still ended up with the Sachs for all of the trouble I went through.

Here’s a second shot with the original saddlebags attached.

96023D3E-D555-4C2A-BEA7-559343A231EE.jpeg

This moped was seen in these forums a while back I believe by another user. It was on display at a store; and only had 63 miles on the odometer.

I did notice a few cosmetic issues; (there is a crack in the odometer plastic housing, and then another piece of plastic where a license plate would go was cracked. Otherwise it looked ok to me.

I noticed I am missing the key for the gas tank. I’m sure I can get one somewhere. The gas tank seemed a bit rusty on the inside; so I’ll clean that out with the help of the WIKI. I’ll likely grab a new petcock as well. And then I’ll go through the steps to get it fired up and going. Look forward to chatting with you guys and getting some help to get this on the road. Not looking to mod or make it faster. Just want to keep it as is for now.

Re: Got my Sachs yesterday (63 miles)

What a GREAT top-tank! Congrats! don-ohio (:^)

Cool score!

Nice bike!

There is a clown on craigslist in Ohio that has about three G3s for 1500-2000$ each & not nearly as nice as yours. Congrats on a legit deal!

Eric DeSachs /

I just got to get it going so I can get the full experience! Hope to tinker with it a bit in the upcoming days.

Anyone know where I can get a key for the gas tank cover?

Petcock: anyone got a link for one that will work; or should I disassemble this one to try to clean it?

I’ll work through Fred’s Guide to see if I have spark and everything after I take the tank off and clean it up a bit.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Nice! Congrats!

Yes, get it running for sure, not good to let anything sit!

Wow beautiful find!

> Eric DeSachs Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone know where I can get a key for the gas tank cover?

>

I took the tank (drained of course) into a local locksmith and they were able to pick it and make a new key for me. You could try the same. However I did find the actual key after I got a replacement made. If you DM me your address I can send you one of the copies and maybe you'll get lucky and it will work.

Eric DeSachs /

Thank you... message incoming!

Eric DeSachs /

I got some more pics today after taking off a few of the panels. I wanted to get a better look at things. There’s a pic with saddle bags as well. I will need to polish it up; but this far I just want to get the mechanics right.

I noticed that I have a tire pump under the gas tank. And on the inside of one of the G3 red panels; there is a small container or something with a rubber band. What’s that? I’ll need to locate a manual to figure some things out. Not sure what controls the headlight/horn.

Take a look:

9E806C02-90AD-4DE6-B732-C0B61AFF1078.jpeg

DF6186D6-AC2D-4B45-8A02-9994703832F6.jpeg

605A740E-4441-4B62-865D-6C996CE3151B.jpeg

Eric DeSachs /

More pics: (the mirror doesn’t seem quite right)

7BCBDB95-6AE9-4EE2-8111-48CD7CD3CAC2.jpeg

Here’s where you can see a crack in the odometer housing

86CAFEBD-5CE4-4309-823F-EFB413D96441.jpeg

Not sure.

3E66A26D-40DD-4ED9-8E97-72718559BB8B.jpeg

Eric DeSachs /

D0DEF456-E457-41FA-8B4B-0CB108D520DE.jpeg

28555DD3-2A26-4B51-8470-FF060F24FE48.jpeg

83D71EB0-91DB-481F-9927-9010251778FC.jpeg

Engine stuff

Eric DeSachs /

Here a link to IMGUR if that is better for viewing

imgur

Sweet.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Insight?

Eric DeSachs /

> Downhill Harvey (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Insight?

Sharp eye. Yep. 2002 Insight. Love the G1 Insights. Great MPGs

My guess is the small container is your toolbox, have you opened it?

Eric DeSachs /

Nothing in it. Just a rubber and around the top; I suppose to keep the tools within.

My G3 has that pouch too. Yeah must've been for tools. I kinda always wondered if it had a top lid or something, buy maybe it was just was a rubber band. It's great for spare plugs/small bottles of 2 stroke.

This thing is in grreat shape. Good find.

What you can expect of what your moped will look like after 16 years of hard riding ...(PS) ~ @Face Book you will find SACHS Lovers forum .. tell them I sent you ...

12938277_963321733763808_5180584622195839399_n.jpg

Eric DeSachs /

Do you have to remove the seat before removing the tank? If so, is it the bolts towards the rear of the seat that will release it?

yep , remove those 2 bolts , the seat comes off by sliding back off the tong holding the seat down in the front . well , you will figure it out .. I did ...

Eric DeSachs /

Before I broke it down further; decided to check some thing. There is gas flow going from petcock to carb. Only on one of the settings of the petcock. I pulled the petcock off and found out there is a longer screen attached to it as well (looks to be a screen filter to avoid garbage going from tank to carb). Didn’t seem like a lot of flow but there was flow.

Spark: I took the old plug out; and put in a new one. Tested for spark arc; and it is there.

Hopped on the seat and started to pedal like a madman. No chance of it kicking over or seeming to “want” to.

I was thinking of checking the points; but I’m not 100% sure on how to remove the cover without damaging the cover. Any ideas? It looks like it has never been removed before. I see the indentation where it looks like you can use a screwdriver. Doing so seems like it will leave marks on the engine or the cover.

I’m curious if I should get a new petcock. I can’t seem to figure out how to take apart the one I have.

Just looking to see if I can get it fired up prior to really cleaning it up.

Clutch engaging? Or are you just pedaling the rear wheelEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/17 06:21PM by cs65.

Eric DeSachs /

Just pedaling the rear wheel like a bafoon

I have the switch set to run.... twisting the accelerator... other than that: no clue.

No headlight/horn. But I suppose that would only work when the engine turns over.

Are you pulling the clutch/decomp lever while pedaling?

Use choke,

Throw some gas in the plug hole

Eric DeSachs /

I forgot that I can put a spoonful in the plug hole. I’ll try that tomorrow.

So; a bit better progress. Pulled the clutch and you can tell it was engaged while pedaling. No turnover yet... but at least progress. Oh. And the headlight was on as well.

Nice stuff

Make sure to clean the carb out, main jet is most likely clogged