Prefered Flavor of Extra skin for Yer Handz: A Vice Documentary About Gloves

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

jk it's just a thread about gloves you turkey. get prank't

It's that time where winter rears it's ugly dick and digs it's frosty fangs into all your fucking fun and fangers. Papa frost can turn any cold ride into a short one cause your damn digits fell right off and send you careening into oncoming snow plows or flying sleds or whatever. Trust me, nothing ruins christmas like losing your fingers to something lame like the temperature outside.

I'm too stubborn to just not ride my moped and public transit is for nerds and quitters. I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to most things in life and the cheaper route to take is to avoid hefty hospital bills from frostbite and i am NOT spending $350 on some bullshit yuppie motorcycle glove bullshit that will ultimately lead to disappointment so i can go wave my dick in the wind at the bar pissing match with all the motorcycle guys and their sweet gear bro.

SO, anyone have some leads on cheap, warm, dextrous "riding" gloves that don't suck more dicks than father winter's gimp and won't break the bank so i can spend more money on drugs, tacos, and moped parts?

Re: Prefered Flavor of Extra skin for Yer Handz: A Vice Documentary About Gloves

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

Re: Prefered Flavor of Extra skin for Yer Handz: A Vice Documentary About Gloves

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.treatland.tv/moped-mitts-p/moped-mitts.htmhttps://www.treatland.tv/v/vspfiles/photos/moped-mitts-2T.jpg

Yeah the more I think about it, this option seems better and better.

I’d prefer something attached to me and not by bike though.

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> > Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

> https://www.treatland.tv/moped-mitts-p/moped-mitts.htmhttps://www.treatland.tv/v/vspfiles/photos/moped-mitts-2T.jpg

>

> Yeah the more I think about it, this option seems better and better.

>

> I’d prefer something attached to me and not by bike though.

Theres probably room in there to jam some hand warmers.......or just get heated grips?

Hand shields like on a dirtbike would probably help too.

I always use bumgloves with some slightly large motorcycle gloves over them.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

>

> Theres probably room in there to jam some hand warmers

I didn't call this thread "Help, I want birth control mittens".

>

>.......or just get heated grips?

Lemme just put a phone charger, coffee machine, and a hot plate on my mopad from 1976 too. It will fit just fine next to the warp drive and muffler bearings. Damn thing barely has enough ass to run 3 light bulbs.

>

> Hand shields like on a dirtbike would probably help too.

as much as i'd love motivating the wheelie boys into stealing another one of my bikes, this is too permanent. I want to ride all of my mopeds. I cannot be limited to just one; life's too short for that hogwashEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/17 11:24AM by drgeorgetompson.

I use to have a pair of insulated gauntlet gloves . My fingers still got cold . But , riding in freezing temps has a tendency to do that , no matter what .

The grip mitts , like above , with thin insulated gloves and heated grips are about as good as it gets .

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> P D Wrote:

> I use to have a pair of insulated gauntlet gloves . My fingers still got

> cold . But , riding in freezing temps has a tendency to do that , no

> matter what .

>

> The grip mitts , like above , with thin insulated gloves and heated

> grips are about as good as it gets .

I mean the most i am going to ride at a time is like 6 miles, or 20 something minutes, through the city in maybe 10°F minimum on extreme days.

Are there any future tech glove liners or whatever that i am missing? i can fit a pair of those crappy stretchy type gloves under my riding gloves. could probably fit 2 liners. Thinsulate and then something to break wind under my regular gloves maybe?

I'm just gonna replace my seat with a high pipe and call it a day.

I used to be like you and thought that high dollar riding gear was for yuppie chumps with a financed motorcycle. 10 years and many wrecks later I won't leave the house without my fancy Dainese boots and gloves.

70 bucks for quality winter waterproof riding gloves is solid. Most of the alpine stars stuff is good at a lower price point then dainese. Spidi also makes very nice gloves at a more reasonable price point

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sr-3-drystar-gloves

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-apex-drystar-glovesEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/17 12:15PM by andysimpson.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> I used to be like you and thought that high dollar riding gear was for

> yuppie chumps with a financed motorcycle. 10 years and many wrecks later

> I won't leave the house without my fancy Dainese boots and gloves.

I still have a lot of wrecks ahead of me before i am become not stupid. Every now and then i have these horrible crash situations play in my head and they are humbling and motivate me to get proper gear.... They go away eventually and im ok.

>

> 70 bucks for quality winter waterproof riding gloves is solid. Most of

> the alpine stars stuff is good at a lower price point then dainese.

> Spidi also makes very nice gloves at a more reasonable price point

>

> https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sr-3-drystar-gloves

>

> https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-apex-drystar-gloves

These arent bad. A little out of my expected price range but whatever. I like that these aren't super bulky. I'm ok with investing in stuff, i just fucking HATE spending what i feel like is way too much for something only to have it be absolute trash and fall apart or poison my family or whathaveyou.

I don't know how ( i think it was same day delivery), but these stupid horse gloves are my current cold weather gloves. They have some stupid palm paneling for holding your reins in maximum comfort. They are bulky, awkward, and not the warmest for how large they are. I don't recommend them. I hate horse people more than the moto gear circle jerkers. THE HORSE PEOPLE DID THIS TO ME.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/17 12:49PM by drgeorgetompson.

I use the mitts that people suggested. They work really well for blocking wind and keeping your digits warm, and they are cheap. Definitely need a pair of gloves underneath them though. One complaint is a little hassle removing hands for signaling then putting them back in, as well as air leaking through the hole where they fit over the bars. If you're worried about looking like a dork using the mitts just remember you're already riding a moped.

> I'm ok with investing in stuff, i

> just fucking HATE spending what i feel like is way too much for

> something only to have it be absolute trash and fall apart or poison my

> family or whathaveyou.

a reasonable fear, but that's where the research and reviews come in. Motorcycle gear in particular I've found a really direct 1:1 in the quality to price for the most part.

where I seem to get burned on stuff is when I'm willing to spend a little more than rock bottom but not quite upper tier.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

>

> a reasonable fear, but that's where the research and reviews come in.

>

That's why i came here to my MA kin so as to share idears and expermiences. that way people can not search the forums for it in the future just like me.

>

> Motorcycle gear in particular I've found a really direct 1:1 in the quality to price for the most part.

This is comforting. I'm glad this industry isn't ruined quite yet.

I have a pair of snowboarding gloves with liners, discovered my motorpickle rev'it summer gloves fit inside. Decent dexterity and cozy hands down to at least 30F

I have been getting into riding dirtbikes on the ice with studded tires the last few years, pay attention to those guys. They are ALL rocking the 'hippo hands' with thin riding gloves underneath. I've seen some creative stuff including using a heavy duty zip tie on them to keep them from walking away.

I rock the hippo hands over my barkbusters and a pair of mechanix gloves underneath. If you try to do any 'winter gloves' or even 'ski gloves' the palm slides around too much relative to the liner and you don't have good control over the bike.

I haven't bought a pair of real expensive 'cold weather gloves' but the money you would spend on gloves you can only wear comfortably below 40 can buy you the hippo hands and a pair of still really nice and expensive ridng gloves to go inside them.

Prior to the hippo hands, i found a pair of chopper mittens to be the best thing but they are so nowhere near as good its not even worth mentioning.

oh yeah speaking of shitty moto gear stay away from

Bilt

ADV sport

Speed and strength

on the lower end side of things i've had good luck with MSR, Fox, Icon, my big Adv touring jacket is a Tourmaster and i love it....

you can go all out with moto gear but i'm pretty happy with a lot of the midrange stuff i've bought, especially in the dirtbike realm more so than streetbike.

my biggest word of advice is :

If you buy something on line and try it on and it doesn't feel great right away, send it back before you ride with it. It won't get more comfy riding than it feels in your living room.

I have a fox helmet now that i really like but its about 1/2 size too small, the first time i went out with it i scratched it up real bad... wish i had sent it back right away HA lesson learned. Its not bad but its annoying to drop 200 bucks then have something be not right.

I'm interested in how you keep your legs warm without longjohns and being way too hot once you're inside.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> oh yeah speaking of shitty moto gear stay away from

>

> Bilt

>

> ADV sport

>

> Speed and strength

all these + Sidici are made in the same factory in Pakistan and they're all trash

> Lee Hoffguy Wrote:

> I'm interested in how you keep your legs warm without longjohns and

> being way too hot once you're inside.

I just use the pants of my rain suit, it looks kinda dumb when its not raining but it'll keep you warm.

I have a speed and strength armored hoody that i like alot. I wear it under a nice thick jacket.

wearing a pair or two of latex gloves underneath my main gloves has done the trick providing insulation this winter thus far. Nothin's chillier than crossing over our rivers here, this year I might fuck with those handlebar mitts

alpinestars oscar robinsons. like mine alot

Like Dave I'm a big fan of the D-Gear. I've got three pair of their boots now. They last quite a wile. I've had two of the re-soled by the Vibram truck when they were in the area—that's a great deal if you need some boot repair action.

The D-Store regularly has sales where you can get stuff at very low prices. The Black Friday sale is usually their best.

https://www.dainese.com/

http://www.dainese.com/us/en/gloves/d-dry®/

Another nice place to shop is

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

They don't have D-Gear, but they have Alpinestars which are pretty close. They have a bunch of stuff on sale right now.

Racer makes some pretty nice moto gloves, and they have a winter line too:

http://www.racerglovesusa.com/motorcycle-gloves-mens-winter/

Cortech has some nice winter gloves

http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/scarab_2_0_winter_glove/142/554

My leather houting boots are "recraftable", but if you ride something with a foot shifter yer gonna hafta use your hand.

Bad Cadillac™ /

The OP has cool language in it.

> jk it's just a thread about gloves you turkey. get prank't

Dang, you goobered me. Quality joshin.

Frank Cisneros /

I came to this thread so I would stop freezing my ass off riding to work in NYC but came away happy and warm because the OP wrote funny shit.

I'm still freezing though.

Fur lined leather gloves. Done.

When I used to ride my bicycle 20 miles home through -5° nights in Maine, I wore some simple knitted gloves under some thick wool mittens, and that did me fine. Of course, I was going a lot slower and burning a lot more calories than were riding a moped...

Eat a big taco before you ride and pedal like mad to stay warm?

I use these. We have them for winter construction work. They are insulated on the inside and rubberized on the outside. Thin enough to still do work and warm enough to keep your fingers from falling off. They do not let wind through them because of the rubberized outer. They work well for my winter riding. The cuffs are different colors for different sizes. The blue is X-Large and the green is Medium. I think there is Black and Brown also but I can't remember what ones are which size.

KIMG0927.jpeg

KIMG0928.jpeg

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> BLK AJ Wrote:

> https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0120/0642/alpinestars_glove_robinson.jpg

>

> alpinestars oscar robinsons. like mine alot

mmmmmm she cute. me like. me prolly buy. I keep giving my other gloves to my friend because he is ill-prepared most times.

> Lia the Raven Wrote:

> When I used to ride my bicycle 20 miles home through -5° nights in

> Maine, I wore some simple knitted gloves under some thick wool mittens,

> and that did me fine. Of course, I was going a lot slower and burning a

> lot more calories than were riding a moped...

>

> Eat a big taco before you ride and pedal like mad to stay warm?

It's definitely the speed that makes it bad. I find it amusing how I get to my destination and it's not really that cold i'm just a poorly optimized bag of meat aboard a rocket ship.

> Frank Cisneros Wrote:

> I'm still freezing though.

Me too. We should start a club.

All things considered, and believe you me I've spent a good amount of time thinking about this on the toilet, there are 3 things I feel are important:

A. If you can cut the wind you'll be mostly ok.

2. Layers like an onion. Ogres have layers so should you.

D. leave the 112 mph Jet engine powered blaster in the shop and ride the granny bike.

For cutting wind, I prefer a hearty burrito. I think I will invest in the hippo hands birth control mittens. They seem easy enough and will allow me to maintain my high dexterity rolls. Gloves are gonna mess you up fam. that's the way she goes. I will just have to suck it up and pretend I have nerve damage in my hands again and fumble around with my keys and helmet strap and pull start strings and whatever and generally look like a drunk asshole all the time dropping shit and cursing to myself. " no officer it's cool. I'm not wasted my hands are just extra stupid with all this extra skin. I swear". I'll probably grab some dank nasty glove liners too. Some level 10 thinsulate mumbo jumbo ya dig? should help.

LAYERS!

It think it's most cost effective to have a pair of gloves that I would use year round and layer things over/under it when needed. I'll also mention pants here. You can't wear your stupid hipster skinny jeans. Tight pants is a bad time. I am always far more comfortable in pants that are more loose fitting. Even with holes. A pair of windbreaker pants from the MC Hammer collection may be a good investment at some point but for now I just wear some jeans from when I was fat over my other pants. A+

Speed

Remember that movie speed with the bus that cant slow down or it blows up? what a quality film. Winter mopad is just like that only kinda the complete opposite where you can't go too fast or you freeze to death. It's just like the explosion except really slow and doesn't involve any heat. Do I HEar a script for SPEED 3 being written right now?! yer damn right. I feel like when I break the 40 mph boundary my nib nobs start to ice up and my eyeballs turn to glass. That speed when your jacket colar starts a flappin' and you can really hear the wind burning your soul. So I guess i'll leave my faster bikes for nicer days. Or I could like, not go full throttle all the time. I don't think I have the willpower to do that though.

I'm still all ears for old Indian secrets like smearing your hands in whale blubber or burning black powder down your pants for heat but I think my best bet is to use some layers and block the wind. It's not even that cold here I'm just a little bitch apparently. God bless you Midwesterners