Puch maxi kickstart clutch removal

Darryl Kelbrick /

Does anybody know how to remove a clutch from a kickstart maxi? its different to the pedal version so doesn't have the plate and snap ring to remove before pulling the clutch. Instead it just has a plate with various holes in it and i'm not sure how this plate comes off so i can get to pull the clutch (i have a proper clutch puller). I think its the same as a magnum x clutch and on the exploded diagram of this clutch it shows the plate as a separate item - so it must come off rather than being part of the clutch itself? cheers. darryl

20171029_160550.jpg

Re: Puch maxi kickstart clutch removal

looks like you need a 2-jaw puller. are any of those holes threaded?

That plate with various holes is the clutch.

Pull it the same way you remove a regular e50 clutch. Use a clutch puller and those two threaded holes. If they are not threaded then tap em with an m6 tap.

DO NOT USE A TWO JAW PULLER. It will bend your clutch.(edited)

> DO NOT USE A TWO JAW PULLER. It will bend your clutch.

This is wise advice. Didn't tank about that.

Darryl Kelbrick /

Thanks for that. I don't know what a 2-jaw puller is so just to clarify - i have a standard clutch puller (i.e. single plate, two allen bolts either side and big bolt in the middle for pulling) is it okay to use this?

Yes

Yes, ...and so you don't mushroom the crank end put the flywheel nut on loose...Do not tighten the nut leave some space between the nut and flywheel for your pulling pleasure...!

Darryl Kelbrick /

nice one, cheers guys - i know what i'm doing now (famous last words)

Darryl Kelbrick /

Thanks loads for your advice - the clutch popped out a treat. Its a actually a two show surflex clutch (which is believe is OEM). The shoes are totally fooked and i can't seem to find OEM replacement shoes for a 2-shoe clutch.....so am gonna plump for a OEM surflex kickstart 3-shoe clutch from treats https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OEM-e50-kickstart-clutch-blue&CartID=1. The things thats confusing me is that the treats clutch is not flush on the faceplace so i can't see how the kickstart gear ring thing (see images) will sit properly. Am i just been newbie dumb here or has treats just used the image from a pedal clutch? I wanna make sure i am getting the right thing coz shipping and taxes to the UK makes it bloody expensive! and maxi spares in the UK are pretty sparse....

20171104_121047_resized.jpg
20171104_121031_resized.jpg

When in the UK i would suggest you order from european shops like jmpbonderdelen.com or puchshop.de, will save you a ton on shipping.

But... It appears all kickstartclutches have gone out of stock everywhere. What the hell happened?

Edit, found one that has original surflex kickstart clutches.

Rinky toys(edited)

Darryl Kelbrick /

Thanks - yep, will try euro shops first - cheap shipping and no taxes (at least for now!). That rinky toy clutch still looks like it hasn't got a flat backplate like my stock clutch - might have to email them and investigate further

Yep, I'm in the same boat, 1978 Puch maxi with a kick start. Trying to find a clutch from the UK is rediculous.

_20190606_182153.JPG
« Go to Topic — end of thread