Re: PA50 Crankshaft in NU50 Case

i will take them. i dont have all the kick starter components, but i suppose it would be cool to find them and stick be able to kick it to life. anyways , let me know?

Bump, I will buy as many sets needed for you to produce a few sets of these adapters!

After getting my "no expenses spared" NX50 build running, I have determined that my stock-crank-with-forged-conrod and 70cc piston is quite out of balance, causing the fuel to foam in my Mikuni VM20, which causes fuel starvation, which doesn't allow me to ride at higher speeds, etc.

Long story short, I could either pay to get my crank balanced somewhere (yay -_-) or donate to the cause here to put out a few sets of something that would help the community. I'm on board with the latter! :D

~ Classic Don Trumpter /

~ Good Job ! I picked up a NonRunner Urban awhile back ($50) & was Trying 2 figger out This Very Swap, 4 now My El Cheepo lath has 2 much RunOut 4 This !

Are u still offering these? Why did thread just end?

Need an answer

Also still following. Willing to pre-pay for however many sets needed to get these actually produced.

I am interested in a couple sets

alex ganz /

The PA crank is out for work at the moment (which I'd need for sizing). May be a few weeks before I have it back, but I'm busy with work / travelling anyway. Will post when it's back.

alex ganz /

...Or actually, I have the measurements written down, and I do have a snow day today. I try cutting one later and see how it turns out.

Jack Rutherford /

I gots to know.

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I gots to know.

Seriously funny shit!

alex ganz /

Cut a variator spacer based on the measurements scribbled on my bench; looks like it should be ok, but i dont have a way of testing it, so no promises.

20180313_232031.jpg

Took longer than I expected, but I suppose repitition will make perfect. The kick-start and seal spacers will be harder to cut without a shaft to guage fit (need light interference). Anyone need only the variator spacer?

I definitely need this part and can pay whenever, however I think everyone in this thread is in the same boat :)

What is the seal spacer?

alex ganz /

> Doug Wilhelm Wrote:

> What is the seal spacer?

Ok, tl;dr version: Left side of NU crank has three area's that differ from the hobbit shaft: 1) variator (see spacer above), 2) kick start, and 3) case seal (the inner diameter of the left NU seal is larger than the hobbits - hence the last spacer). You could, of course, just buy a different seal (PA ID w/ NU OD).

I can FedEx from work; PM ur address & I'll let ya know what shipping will cost.

Everyone else: just ordered more steel; anyone else need only this one part?

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Yes, Please do a thread on your electro- plating with pix of your set up.

alex ganz /

> Charles Cole (OFMC) Wrote:

> Yes, Please do a thread on your electro- plating with pix of your set

> up.

Didn't photodocument the process too well; below is the setup:

20180318_222347.jpg

DC converter off Amazon (30/5), with Sur T & N (although you could use you're own acid + neutralizer too). From there it's basically the reverse of electroplating (swich the poles; note the red in the - plug). Whereas plating adds material, here you remove a bit. The wand is a piece of scrap wrapped in a scotchbrite pad (sponges burn through too easily). Keep the contact wet or the voltage will arc and create pits.

20180318_222519.jpg

This was done a few months ago. The e-polished finish is clean and reflective, but kind of muted, and far from mirror right off the bat. For me anyway; I know its possible to do much better. I followed up with 5k grit sanding and buffing with an orbital to get the final result. This may have taken off some of the protective top layer, but it seems fairly oxidation free still (to me).

In other news I've beefed up my case to accomodate +4mm of conrod legth, and ~+1.4 of stroke.

20180318_222820.jpg

If you didn't catch my shit-post already, FedEx has still not been able to locate my crankshaft (sent for reassembly, with conrod, offset pin, etc.) - and - as an added bonus, it seems that the Ti studs I ordered (also FedEx) have been sitting in a wharehouse in Memphis for the last week. Pretty dissapointed to say the least; devoting my free time to trying to get my stuff located (that company seems like a black hole - avoid at all costs).

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account