Scrap pile find

I was out and about today and happened upon a junk collectors house. This flash of yellow caught my eye so I stopped. It appears to be a Honda moped, possibly a hobbit? Maybe one of you could help me figure out more about it.

I knocked on the door but only the owners son was home. I asked his son if the moped was for sale, and he said everything is for sale for the right price, but that I would have to deal with his father since it was his fathers horde. I'll be speaking to his father this weekend to make an offer.

I haven't been able to inspect it up close yet, but it appears to be almost rust-free and about 90% complete. I have no idea if it's seized or not, but it looks promising that it may turn over. The tires aren't cracked yet, but the fuel line has rotted away, so it has been sitting for at least a few years by the looks of it.

I've been looking for a winter project, and if his price is reasonable this may just be it.

20170913_162241.jpg
20170913_163117.jpg

Re: Scrap pile find

Definate hobbit

Hopefully he lets it loose for $20

Hopefully you can snag it for cheap. It's either a '79 or '80 pa50II (faster of the two engines.)

Oh you got your eye on the yellow Honda? Yep she's a real beaut. Some of these fetch a fair price you know. All it needs is a tune up and some paint. I was going to restore it but I could let it go for $500...

Being it sat outside $75-cap on price as being outdoors exposure really is hard on the wiring and componets...

Squirrely Bird /

> Bob Selby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Being it sat outside $75-cap on price as being outdoors exposure really

> is hard on the wiring and componets...

Yep I was thinking $100CAD which is roughly about the same, I might go as far as $150 if the motor spins freely and I see a spark. It's going to need new cables for sure, and probably some wiring. The old side panels are broken, so that helps my price a little as well. I'm assuming seals and bearings will need to be replaced as well until I'm able to actually inspect them.

Squirrely Bird /

> frank dadog Wrote:

> Oh you got your eye on the yellow Honda? Yep she's a real beaut. Some of

> these fetch a fair price you know. All it needs is a tune up and some

> paint. I was going to restore it but I could let it go for $500...

Haha yea.. I'm hoping he's not one of those folks, but you never know..

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Let us know how it turns out. Welcome fellow northerner.

> Squirrely Bird Wrote:

> > frank dadog Wrote:

> > -------------------------------------------------------

> > Oh you got your eye on the yellow Honda? Yep she's a real beaut. Some

> of

> > these fetch a fair price you know. All it needs is a tune up and some

> > paint. I was going to restore it but I could let it go for $500...

>

> Haha yea.. I'm hoping he's not one of those folks, but you never know..

I'm hoping for you. $100 seems more than fair. I swear those reality shows are over inflating prices.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I think the $150 cap is about right if the motor isnt locked. Its a PA50II, so when its running that will be a peppy fast stocker. Obviously try for less but dont walk away too easily. I know its in a scrap pile but search craigslist for one in similiar shape. They will either want more $$$ than $150 or it will already be sold. Keep that in mind.

I hope you get it!

Check tank, if no gas cap, price goes way down, but at least the tanks are replaceable on these, has the drive belt cover and headlight bucket looks good. Good luck!

Geeze that looks goodly... maybe I should go for a ride seeing as I am not so far from your home... no really... have to meet up at the roadhouse sometime soon to share BS stories and enjoy some coffee :)

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Amazing the prices these days. Back when I started a moped like that would be given away or had for 20 bucks.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Amazing the prices these days. Back when I started a moped like that would be given away or had for 20 bucks.

Yeap, and i bought a running magnum for $50 when i was a teenager. The times are changing

If you can't convince him to just give it to you for free or trade for a working bicycle that you also pulled out of a dumpster, you may need to brush up on your negotiation tactics....as it sits $100 is fair but geez guys...thing has been left for dead i bet the guy would light up if you even said $40.

WELP, BACK IN MY DAY

::insert hyperbole, something about uphill both ways, and dollar amount not to exceed $20.00::

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account