Had my front brake cable stop break.

Came in a little hot on a stop sign and needed some extra stopping power so I applied the front brake to assist. POP. uht oh - no dice on stopping in time. Swayed to the right used the Flintstones method. Yaba dadda doo'd for the stop before going into the intersection.

Re: Had my front brake cable stop break.

I make them out of bolts with the same diameter. File down a flat spot, drill a hole, make the slot with a hacksaw.

wheres dangerdave /

That's not a bad Idea - thanks!

Probably Fred /

Looks like a cheep aftermarket one

there's a knarp that fits perfect. knarps are great. you can break the same throttle cable 40 times if you start long. i find them to be as strong, if not stronger than the "legit" cable ends. if you got a strong screwdriver hand anyway.

You only use the front brake for "assist"?!?

I cannot put into words how emphatically proud and excited and rejuvenated by your correct distinction of brake and break.

I've used some halfass fixes. Like you can use the wrong size knarp a little too long and shove an m8bolt in the hole and the cable knarp gets pinned between the bolt and the front inner edge in the lever

Or used a hairpin once but I forget how cuz it totally bent the first try.

Or like cotter pins, the u shaped ones

I like the slitting a bolt idea best, don't really need to drill a hole, and a cutoff wheel on a dremel is faster than a hacksaw. Just right down the middle slide it in and get back to ripping without wrecking

the bolt is good. it works, but i fear the rough steel and edges of threads will saw through your cable about as fast as those old bent wire cutters you got...

pretty much^

it's not a permanent fix. but it'll get you goin for a while til you actually pony up the 2 bucks or whatever for the right thing and waiting for it to arrive if you've ordered it

Yabba-dabba-doo....!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account