So after deciding that it’s not safe to play with cars that are capable of rolling over me even at my 24mph top speed, I decided it was time to get serious with some power improvements. Well actually, in truth, I just have a bad habit of ploughing money into modifying cars, and even though it’s only 2.5hp, the Motocompo hasn’t escaped the same attention!
There is a fella in Japan that hand builds expansion chambers for these critters, which are claimed to yield a 6mph improvement. The only downside was the cost, which at USD$300+ makes them a little bit pricey. All the more so when it arrives on your desk at work and you discover it’s barely larger than your keyboard! So after a few weeks of procrastination, I found some time to fit the pipe, and made the effort to wrap it in exhaust header, since even the standard mufflers are known to get hot enough to melt the plastic fairings.
Now, with no other changes to the bike I was able to pick up 8km/h (5mph) on the top end to increase to 46km/h / 28.5mph. It is worth noting that my tyres were definitely a little flat due to sporadic use, and so I think I could have hit 30mph had the tyres been properly inflated. I have since pumped them, and so will do one more run to confirm top speed before moving onto the next phase of the project.
For the next post I’ll also include some pics of the Vapour Trail Tech that I installed to keep an eye on all systems, plus update on my 70cc plans!