Some garbage witch stole my toolbox, any all-inclusive tool kit you all would recommend?

Frank Cisneros /

I was 90 percent done getting my first moped up and running, no air leaks, moving into the break-in process. I was a half a block down the street and when I got back my toolbox was gone including my brand new dremel, torque wrench, 1/4" socket set, metric ratchets, screwdrivers, spare spark plugs and spare carb parts. Sigh. I have had a lot of bad luck trying to get in the moped game.

Anyway, I've spent a lot of time and money on this darn thing and I don't want to have to rebuy every single thing (I didn't use most of the sockets and wrenches anyway).

Is there a good all-in-one set that includes most of the things we need to work on small engines? Any brand anyone swears by?

Re: Some garbage witch stole my toolbox, any all-inclusive tool kit you all would recommend?

Jeremy Homser /

harbor freight and the flea market will get you close. treats was selling rally tool kits you could carry with you as well.

Re: Some garbage witch stole my toolbox, any all-inclusive tool kit you all would recommend?

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Yeah those harbor freight dremels are widely recognized as super reliable and won't ever leave you fucked lol

Jeremy Homser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

I really like the craftsman tool kits that Sears sells. They are a great base to start with. I wouldn't pay full price, if you can wait until black friday they go on sale for almost half price. You still need a lot of other tools, but they work great to start with. My dad bought me one for my 18th birthday and it was the best present I have received.

prod_14873403121.jpeg

Check out Lowes. They carry Kobalt brand tools which also have a no question replacement policy. They carry a set of tools very similar to the above Sears tool set, but a lot cheaper. It even comes in a nice 4 drawer plastic tool case. I bought it just to keep it in my truck when I attend moped/scooter rallies/rides. I paid around $100 for it when it was on sale after XMAS.

kobalt.jpg

♫ Maize BLK ♫ Wrote:

> I really like the craftsman tool kits that Sears

> sells. They are a great base to start with. I

> wouldn't pay full price, if you can wait until

> black friday they go on sale for almost half

> price. You still need a lot of other tools, but

> they work great to start with. My dad bought me

> one for my 18th birthday and it was the best

> present I have received.

>

Craftsman tools have taken such a dip in quality in the past decade or so I'm not sure they're still worth the money.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Craftsman quality is comparable to harbor frieght now. I use harbor frieght sockets with great success these days. Things i avoid from Harbor freight are vice grips, allen keys, dremel tools, and etc...

Buy this set...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10-PIECE-ROTOR-FLYWHEEL-DRIVER-PULLER-KIT-SET-ATV-MOTORCYCLE-DIRT-BIKE-H1-/272767970460?epid=3005687994&hash=item3f823cec9c:g:9rkAAOSwggpZbv~l

Also, i like Husky brand tools from Home depot. I like how you can buy wrenches individually there as well and they dont cost much. Ive had bad luck buying Craftsman sets and they randomly skip a wrench. Like you will get a 8mm then it goes straight to 10mm. Dont worry, they always give you a worthless 16mm tho.

PAWN SHOPS

they have shitloads of tools. sockets are usually like 4 or 5 for a buck.

sometimes legit dremels r drills etc too.

On the budget I'm always

13/16, 19, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12,11,10 and 8 sockets. driver. spinner/extender, flat & Phillips, 1 lg, 1 small. 4,5,6 and maybe 8mm hex allens. then an adjust wrnch, vice grips, pliers w wire cutters, a 10/12 wrench and a 13 box.

specialty I got a piston stop and a flywheel puller, random hardware nuts n bolts mostly just in a lil perscrip bottle, spare plug, strip of sandpaper, fuel line and master link. zip ties and a sharpie

got a knife in my pocket.

it all fits in a fanny pack or lunch box or whatever. I use a shaving kit bag. that's all the stuff I carry.

you can do anything with just that. on a buncha different bikes.

other stuff stays at home is a harmonic and a 3 jaw puller, dremel, drill, and a welder. and all the other specific pullers

game on, ready to fuck

pretty sweet deal on pullers.

If you live in such a shitty neighborhood that they jack your stuff while you just go down the street, then your real concern is a bit more than bunch of tools. You need to move elsewhere.

Craftsman tools have taken a dip. But I still prefer them over HF. Buy them on sale. I also like that ace hardware now replaces them, more convenient than sears.

They are better than anything with the word pro in the name.

IMG_20170818_155451.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

^^^ That's a scary break.

I agree that tag sales and the like are great ways to find tools, although they aren't as viable an option in NYC.

If you need any specialty tools, AKA pullers/timing tools/etc., let me know. I'm in BedStuy.

Mike McScoutington /

♫ Maize BLK ♫ Wrote:

> Craftsman tools have taken a dip. But I still

> prefer them over HF. Buy them on sale. I also

> like that ace hardware now replaces them, more

> convenient than sears.

>

> They are better than anything with the word pro in

> the name.

>

Definitely just did that last weekend when I was doing brakes on my neighbors truck. My first thought was that I had busted the caliper. I was super glad it was the $2.50 Harbor Freight clamp and not the vehicle that wasn't mine.

I don't know what's going on the in the US but Craftsman hand tools here in Canada are still top quality. Many tools are rebranded Snap-On, all are quality chrome vanadium steel. With recent restructuring it's a bit unclear if the life time guarantee will be honored but in a non-professional setting I don't expect to use it anyways.

On a side note, my buddy scored a nice coffee table from a free shit pile. Not having a car he had to lug it all the way home by himself. Finally arriving home, he went inside to get a drink and clear a spot for his new prize. When he went back outside to bring it in it was gone with nary a person in sight. Where he left it was undoubtedly interpreted by another passerby as a free shit pile.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

They are better than anything with the word pro in the name.

Man thats the truth. People hate on harbor freight but the truly worse tools out there are found at the auto parts store. I broken a O2 sensor socket i purchased from Advanced Auto on the very first sensor i attempted to remove.

Seriously im giving Harbor Frieght props on their sockets and rachets. Ive had great luck out of them. However, i would not advise on their adjustable wrenches, pliers, vice grips, dremel tools, zip ties (terrible!), etc.

Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

, zip ties (terrible!), etc.

It's remarkable how crappy the knock off ties are compared to the 3M ones. It's like they're made of the exact same material only in a slightly molten state 1/10th the strength.

Jimmy Cincinnati wrote:

>

> Also, i like Husky brand tools from Home depot. I

> like how you can buy wrenches individually there

> as well and they dont cost much.

Husky had the absolute best warranty in the game at one time. It's still legit, top notch, and easy as pie. Just walk in and return ANY husky tool that's broken bent whatever. Shitty tools though. Hate to love them.

HD on the interwebz says:

"All Husky tools have a lifetime warranty. In the past, Home Depot had a program offering consumers an exchange of their broken Sears Craftsman or other various brands of hand tool for a comparable Husky tool at no charge. This program has since been discontinued."

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Born to be WillD Wrote:

> PAWN SHOPS

> they have shitloads of tools. sockets are usually

> like 4 or 5 for a buck.

> sometimes legit dremels r drills etc too.

Great idea but I'd just cut out the middleman and ask local junkies what they have.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I never see good prices at pawn shops, alot of the time they want as much for the tool as they are new... and their tools are all banged up.

Charles McCusker /

I've started buying husky brand tools from home depot. My craftsman stuff is all from when it was still made here and the husky stuff is better than that so far i've found. price is pretty good too.

I started out with a Craftsman set like Maize. When I was in high school my dad and I went to Sears and got a 200 pc set. It was a little different from his pic but that was 35 years ago. Over the years I just added to it. When I was at the dealership we had the Mac and Snap-on trucks showing up so I picked up things here and there. But still went to Sears to get things too. In all that time I had the chrome peel off a couple of craftsman sockets but I never broke or stripped one. The original screwdriver handles turned white like they got some kind of mold or something. Maybe it was just some reaction the plastic had from being old. I think I still have one of the original ones but replaced the others. The gears stripped out of my 1/4" snap-on ratchet and they replaced the gears.

A few years back at the Auto Fest the used tool guy had Gear Wrench brand combo wrenches with a ratchet/swivel head on the box end. I bought a bunch of those and I think they are the best thing in decades.

Adjustable wrenches - I have a few but like my auto mechanics instructor in high school said, "Don't ever let me catch you using an adjustable wrench in this class, there is a tool for every job". Every time he caught me using an adj wrench he would knock my hat off my head onto the floor. To this day every time I grab a pair of pliers or channel locks I feel like he is behind me giving me a dirty look.

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

Estate sales...sometimes you can pick and choose...sometimes not...a guy I know has scored multiple Husky and Craftsman and SnapOn rolloff boxes stuffed with the works for pennies on the dollar

Those old plastic handles always get that weird white smelly stuff on them but you can clean them up with some steel wool and a little dish soap.

Frank Cisneros /

Axldeziak . Wrote:

> If you live in such a shitty neighborhood that

> they jack your stuff while you just go down the

> street, then your real concern is a bit more than

> bunch of tools. You need to move elsewhere.

I live in the East Village of Manhattan. Some of the most expensive real estate on Earth. I'm a working stiff like most, it's just the reality of NYC.

BUT you bring up a real point, I wonder what other moped owners in manhattan do to work on their bikes AND keep them safe while locked up overnight.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Frank Cisneros Wrote:

> Axldeziak . Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If you live in such a shitty neighborhood that

> > they jack your stuff while you just go down the

> > street, then your real concern is a bit more

> than

> > bunch of tools. You need to move elsewhere.

I'd take this ^^^ with a grain of salt, seeing as the town of Sharon, TN, has less then 1,000 people living there. So of course theft off the street seems crazy.

> I live in the East Village of Manhattan. Some of

> the most expensive real estate on Earth. I'm a

> working stiff like most, it's just the reality of NYC.

>

> BUT you bring up a real point, I wonder what other

> moped owners in manhattan do to work on their

> bikes AND keep them safe while locked up

> overnight.

Parker (Upjet) lives in Midtown and is in constant turmoil with the bikes he keeps near his house. But, he would be the one to talk to about managing it. He also does a bunch of very brave street/sidewalk wrenching.

There's a bunch of us right over in the bedstuy/bushwick area if you're ever looking to ride/wrench. I also ride into Manhattan for work everyday.

I guess us country bumpkins could never have lived in a big city before. Nope, we're just not sophisticated enough to understand the reality of it, are we? Or maybe we did, and that's why we said fuck that diseased bullshit and returned to Mayberry.

Theft takes place everywhere. Even here in flyover country.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Axldeziak . Wrote:

> I guess us country bumpkins could never have lived

> in a big city before. Nope, we're just not

> sophisticated enough to understand the reality of

> it, are we? Or maybe we did, and that's why we

> said fuck that diseased bullshit and returned to

> Mayberry.

>

> Theft takes place everywhere. Even here in flyover

> country.

I never questioned your sophistication, or referred to you as a country bumpkin. But I think when someone asks a question concerning purchasing a toolbox, it's unproductive to suggest he should uproot his home.

If someone's bike was running rich, would you suggest they move to a higher elevation to compensate?

I won't get into a discussion concerning the whereabouts of "diseased bullshit" across the U.S.

Count Olav Wrote:

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > PAWN SHOPS

> > they have shitloads of tools. sockets are

> usually

> > like 4 or 5 for a buck.

> > sometimes legit dremels r drills etc too.

>

>

> Great idea but I'd just cut out the middleman and

> ask local junkies what they have.

they probabaly have the tools they stole from you last week!

I mean I duplicated my tool set listed, minus the piston stop and puller and misc stuff, for $13.

Got a ryobi 18v li impact driver and drill combo w 2 batteries and a charger for 25.

And bushido blade for ps1 for 3.

Pawn shops rule

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account