Vespa Gas Cap Questions

Victor Sturm /

I just bought a 1980 Vespa Grande. Even though it has IL plates with 2012 tags, it looks not only filthy dirty but incredibly rusty. Every chromed piece is more rust than chrome at this point. The paint seems fine though and with the exception of the gas cap it is not missing any parts or trim that I can tell.

Can anyone school me on Vespa gas caps? I bought the 40mm OD Vespa Si cap from Treatland but it doesn't fit, the inner diameter is too large. Has anyone used one of the CNC Ciao caps that Treatland sells on a Grande?

IMG_1731.JPG

Re: Vespa Gas Cap Questions

The Si gas cap won’t work as you experienced they are a bit larger than the Grande one…This one will fit I promise. Try the CNC one also and tell us what you think.

https://www.sundaymorningmotors.com/product-p/c001269.htm (edited)

Victor Sturm /

Perfect! Thanks!

Soak the parts in some distilled vinegar over night and get some steel wool and they come off pretty easy and chemical free. My ciao was in the same condition, even the wheels had rust but cleaned up really well.

vespa1976.jpg

the cnc caps are super high quality. i wish they fit ANYTHING but they don't. do not buy them

An easily.obtainable gas cap!! Why would a vespa moped owner expect that ? I love the random barn finds of pristine bravos Grandes etc. Yea they always have perfect set of turn signals and luggage holders. Meanwhile we huddle in the sidelines knowing full well just how difficult it otherwise is for us mere mortals to come across say a side cover or.worse a gas cap. Just as this post first happened I took my problem child grande for a spin and yea forgot to tighten the gas cap. If ya watched my video u might anticipate that a loose gas cap.would suddenly be where ?. Anyway retraced my steps to find it on a bike lane. Blessed moment that I didn't have to figure out that step over.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account