Puch Maxi-Starter clutch cable.

Ongoing clutch saga.....original seized(although part-working) so have bought a new cable.As I remember lever sits normally as per photo but end of spring sits in it's hole 90 degrees back. So....to refit, is it necessary to push the spring pin to the right by 90 degrees whilst keeping the spindle at zero turn ?

I'm hoping the cable replacement will sort this out. I've had various maxis years ago and all have started without any bother. Maybe because this one has stood since 1987 ? I have had it started with old cable then suddenly no connection and it won't turn (turns fine by hand).

Many thanks.

John (UK).

20170810_073152.jpg

Re: Puch Maxi-Starter clutch cable.

For some reason there is this group of people that remove that (clutch arm) for some unknown reason...

Oh god. Its the "you don't evEr need to wrench on your transmission" e50 cases.

Its simple physics. You want the starter clutch engaged when the lever is perpendicular to the frame, pointing towards the frame. The natural resting position of the lever will be pointing toward the frame, but rotated toward the rear wheel.

Ssssoooooooo, find the "at rest" position where the "rotated to engage clutch" position is perpendicular to the frame

Then figure out how to do that with the cable nub in the lever. Hint, you can always use the cable adjuster to tension the cable (edited)

John Beever /

Many thanks for that. I couldn't work out if "in the rest position" the lever is tensioned against the spring below. The way it sits at present is parallel to the frame as spring attaches at the top with no spring tension.

On the newer version e50 you can remove the cover...but old versions you have to split the case to access the clutch/ wind the spring....you might be able to tension the spring with a small screwdriver....good luck...lesson learned...

John Beever /

Thanks Bob,

I've already had engine apart....wish I'd left it alone now....was in too much of a hurry !

John Beever /

All working good with new cable.

Many thanks for help.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account