Puch Magnum Deal?

how much should i be freaking out about a Puch Magnum selling for $1100 within a few hours drive from my place?

or are magnums overrated and hyped

also, several more than a few hours drive from SF, where i could probably flip it for ridiculous amounts of money??/??? (edited)

Re: Puch Magnum Deal?

$1100 sounds like the top end of market price. I'd expect it to be showroom mint.

MKII have nice forks, XK and II are just. top. tanks.

$1100 sounds like a meh price unless its minty stock.

They are all good bikes and feel like little motorcycles. All have strongish tube frames.

sighhhh alright alright i'm convinced to let this one slide

i really like the look of top tanks, but so do most people anyways haha

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

I think 1100 is insane for a stock one unless it's like 100 miles mint ups or limited. For most run of the mill magnums 600. Like 200 more than a maxi.

I'd only pay $1100 for a Mint UPS Mag

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs (azzkikinvette) — Aug 06, 2017 08:03PM

I think 1100 is insane for a stock one unless it's like 100 miles mint ups or limited. For most run of the mill magnums 600. Like 200 more than a maxi.

People love stating opinions on mopeds but problem is show us the $600 running magnums. You might feel its only worth $600 but there are none for sale for $600 unless they are spray painted hacked up magnums. And even those dont last long. I know this is hard to hear, but the day of the common $600 magnum is gone. If you get lucky and find one for that you better snatch it. $1100 in nice shape is a reasonable starting point.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For most run

> of the mill magnums 600. Like 200 more than a

> maxi.

WTF????

Charles McCusker /

Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs (azzkikinvette) —

> Aug 06, 2017 08:03PM

> I think 1100 is insane for a stock one unless it's

> like 100 miles mint ups or limited. For most run

> of the mill magnums 600. Like 200 more than a

> maxi.

>

> People love stating opinions on mopeds but problem

> is show us the $600 running magnums. You might

> feel its only worth $600 but there are none for

> sale for $600 unless they are spray painted hacked

> up magnums. And even those dont last long. I know

> this is hard to hear, but the day of the common

> $600 magnum is gone. If you get lucky and find one

> for that you better snatch it. $1100 in nice shape

> is a reasonable starting point.

I picked up my magnum mkii for 500 near cincy, but the tank and plastics were all rattle canned that awful metallic blue people seem to like ruining everything with. Fenders were cracked, seat torn and rtv all over the za50. it was all there except pedals and headlight. I took the entire thing apart and I think knowing what i know now, i could have made it run without putting a cent into it, BUT I definitely wouldn't call it a running bike when i bought it and I definitely wouldn't have felt confident in it.

I think 1k-ish for a stock minty magnum is worth it, IF you dont plan on modifying it. If you plan on doing a bunch of stuff to it, save yourself money and put some elbow grease into a less than perfect example. That is coming from someone who likes working on things though. my 2cents

Bad Cadillac™ /

My $900 Magnum survivor. (edited)

DSC01216 (1024x768).jpg

wooooow thats super nice! where/when did you get this ride?

Bad Cadillac™ /

Thanks! I got it a couple years ago from a flipper here in my state of Michigan. I guess right place, right time. Here's what it looks like now after a full resto. Only performance mods are a jetted 14mm, high flow filter and a pipe (not shown in pic). (edited)

DSC01254.JPG

Jimmy is right.

Tobias Doesn't Care (ง •̀_•́)ง /

I usually tell people to expect to pay 1k for a clean running magnum any day of the week, unless they find a better deal. Granted, CA prices, but still. If you can talk them down under 1k by any amount, it isn't the worst deal ever. Just standard.

Side note, rattle canning it black and putting cafe bars actually don't increase it's value. Little known fact /s

& this is about best you can do on MA these days. This was on Cincy C.L. a few weeks ago for 700$. Chris got a modest 400$ flipper profit out of it..

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4124785

^Why?

kim jensen /

Magnums under $1000 are few and far between.

My magnum was in boxes. Original tank missing, donor Tank had rust holes and the paint mostly stripped off. Came with a minarelli moped that ran poorly, but I fixed it up sold it for the price I paid for both.

sure, a magnum is just a bigger puch maxi.. but if you are spending money on parts would you rather build a magnum or a maxi?

that $2300 XK on ebay has at least $1500 in parts alone on it.. go ahead and put $1500 into a maxi and see if its worth it

Just assume you will never get the money you throw into a moped back. At best plan on getting 50% of what you invest in a moped back if it's still running decently by the time you are ready to part ways with it. You won't disappoint yourself if you go into it knowing this. I'm happy if I just break even. I get to ride a bike for a while, enjoy it, then pass it on without a loss and I'm happy. If you're looking to flip a bike for profit the only way to make any money is to get a non-running bike that only has a few things to get it going (cables, tires/tubes, carb clean, etc.). Even then it's usually not worth the hassle of dealing with the people of Craigslist.

I picked up my minty UPS Magnum for $1,200 in NorCal in February, but it came with a bunch of extra parts. If I sold the extra parts the Magnum cost me $700 which I felt was a steal. There are very few non-fucked with Magnums left, let alone a UPS one. Shit...it's hard to find a stock Maxi nowadays that isn't junk or messed with. To those that say a Magnum is just a Maxi with a top tank...well you've probably never ridden a Magnum. It just feels more solid and more like a motorcycle rides. Is it worth the $400-600 premium...guess it depends if you have the free cash. It was worth it to me.

Probably Fred /

"To those that say a Magnum is just a Maxi with a top tank...well you've probably never ridden a Magnum. It feels more solid and more like a motorcycle rides"

I concur, especially MK II model over an XK or magnum II because with the bigger heavier hydro forks & shocks and mag wheels (that 2.75 tires fit on) it feels even more like a motorcycle especially if you got large tires on.

I do like my XK (e50 engine what's not to love) and magnum II (mag II has the better non oil inj Za50 engine) but the mkII's better shocks and wheels just make a good bike better.

@ken is spot on. My dad has a fast maxi is its quite dangerous due to its twitchy handling, even with K10 forks and full hydraulic dampened shocks. Magnum handles buttery smooth and is far more comfortable in comparison.

The difference between them is similar to comparing a tomos stamped metal frame to a revival/streetmate chassis.

I picked this up a few months back for $250, I try not to pay more than $600 for a Magnum. I live in NH and Magnums come up 3/4 times a year and are always under $600.

IMG_0087.JPG

So I guess you gotta move away from CA, Joe.

ahaha it seems like it!

Sir Clip Wrote:

> I picked this up a few months back for $250, I try

> not to pay more than $600 for a Magnum. I live in

> NH and Magnums come up 3/4 times a year and are

> always under $600.

>

Believing this is hard.

Not saying you're lying butt

Bad Cadillac™ /

Sir Clip Wrote:

> I picked this up a few months back for $250, I try

> not to pay more than $600 for a Magnum. I live in

> NH and Magnums come up 3/4 times a year and are

> always under $600.

>

I call BS!

Post the bill of sale... (edited)

Bad Cadillac™ /

I find many people that hate Magnums have never owned one before...

bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> Sir Clip Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I picked this up a few months back for $250, I

> try

> > not to pay more than $600 for a Magnum. I live

> in

> > NH and Magnums come up 3/4 times a year and are

> > always under $600.

> >

>

> I call BS!

>

> Post the bill of sale...

No Bill of Sale just had the wife fill one out for me. I posted about this on here a while back. Its #009. Bought it off Facebook Marketplace, the ladies son left it behind. Here's the picture from the ad:

IMG_0164.JPG

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account