Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Hey guys, Im trying to find some information about safety and moped crashes. People keep telling my that they're extremely unsafe, more so than motorcycles and I wanna to prove them wrong. If anyone has any info or links to statistics about moped safety and numbers of crashes it would be much appreciated.

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

that's going to be pretty tough, i feel like. especially since the general population doesn't know the difference between a scooter, moped, or motorized bicycle. 90% of the news articles you see about a moped accident are actually scooters. good luck, tho! i'd be interested in what you come up with.

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Safety of moped riding is variable with the places you have to ride. Out here in So. ohio, noty very dangerous to ride a moped if you stay off 4-lane highways.

In the cities,though,with your bad drivers and MANY more vehicles roaring by,the odds go way up.

When I rode the Lake Erie loop,Stateside,I took all small routes everywhere I could.

When I got into the city and had to ride the freeway for a stretch,even at 2 AM, I was very uncomfortable.

So I would argue that moped crashes are directly related to busy streets and city drivers. don-ohio (:^)

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Andrew Squiggman /

people in ohio drive straight into cars to end living in ohio

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

I'd rather live in OH than PA where all the LIBS run around shooting their mouths off about things they know nothing about...LOL! don-ohio

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Riley Siltler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hey guys, Im trying to find some information about

> safety and moped crashes. People keep telling my

> that they're extremely unsafe, more so than

> motorcycles and I wanna to prove them wrong.

You're going about the wrong way.

Why don't you ask those "peeps" for proof of what they keep telling you?

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile.

6. In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

15. The median pre-crash speed was 29.8 mph, and the median crash speed was 21.5 mph, and the one-in-a-thousand crash speed is approximately 86 mph.

17. Conspicuity of the motorcycle is most critical for the frontal surfaces of the motorcycle and rider.

30. The large displacement motorcycles are underrepresented in accidents but they are associated with higher injury severity when involved in accidents.

40. Injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size.

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

hawaii is the srictest since they have it the worst with death counts. about 100 on an island per year. they test horn, light brite ness candle power. regiter these seperate. they are anal. horn is tested for decibel . must be 120 load..light candel power wth a photo meter.. they charge for moped testing , 99 bucks! if u fail , re pay.not to mention the cost of the special hawaii moped lic. 249-

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

NTSB keeps records and stats. They are open to the public for inspection

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Why don't you instead stop worrying about what other people think, and focus on riding and not dying.

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Jon Cook Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hawaii is the srictest since they have it the

> worst with death counts. about 100 on an island

> per year. they test horn, light brite ness candle

> power. regiter these seperate. they are anal. horn

> is tested for decibel . must be 120 load..light

> candel power wth a photo meter.. they charge for

> moped testing , 99 bucks! if u fail , re pay.not

> to mention the cost of the special hawaii moped

> lic. 249-

Not sure what you're on, unless it's O'ahu. We got none of that insanity on Maui

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why don't you instead stop worrying about what

> other people think, and focus on riding and not

> dying.

This.

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

the 40 plus years of me riding mopeds just 3 crash and burns , 2 walk away's and more then a few OWWEES ... hope this helps ?

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Finding stats for vintage mopeds that are not even made anymore or popular will be tough. Mopeds now as you know are the cheap Chinese made stuff.

Not only that, there are # times more motorcycles on the road than mopeds now, or even back in the day (1980's). So to me, naturally the stats for motorcycle crashes will be and always be higher than a moped.

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Pacer Racer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Riley Siltler Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hey guys, Im trying to find some information

> about

> > safety and moped crashes. People keep telling

> my

> > that they're extremely unsafe, more so than

> > motorcycles and I wanna to prove them wrong.

>

>

> You're going about the wrong way.

> Why don't you ask those "peeps" for proof of what

> they keep telling you?

^^Yes, this!

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

In my experience most moped crashes have been with other mopeds, it's like stupid people ride them....I'm a pretty prime example

Re: Trying to find safety statistics and crash numbers for mopeds.

Not the man I use 2 be "0fmc" Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the 40 plus years of me riding mopeds just 3 crash

> and burns , 2 walk away's and more then a few

> OWWEES ... hope this helps ?

And all in his driveway.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account