Vespa gas tanks

Anyone ever convert a bravo frame into gas tank..?

IMG_1107.JPG

Re: Vespa gas tanks

I really like the aesthetics without "tank"

Dirty30 Dillon /

RICHARD, I love that tank position. such a genius idea. i can see a dual tank bravo in my future.

doesnt the fender whack the tank? i like the aesthetics where it is og. proud...bold n brave square but slightly curvy by far the best looking tank

@Dillon

;)

@Pat

I'll put some taller shocks on. I need a seat before I can comfortably sit and ride

Bad Cadillac™ /

Interesting... Really it's a tank relocation.

I'm interested in actually sealing up the frame and making it the tank. (like the grande)

Russell Huddy /

Richard Schwartz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm interested in actually sealing up the frame

> and making it the tank. (like the grande)

One of the polini cup racers did that to a pinto. I think the problem he found was with fuel capacity

@Russell

I'm just keeping a 13mm carb and wanting it for cruising around town so capacity shouldn't be a problem.

I could always go the opposite route and put on two bravo tanks to go on long distance journeys:))

grim ripper /

have you ever seen a vespa citta? it's the same shape pretty much. tank in the whole main tube, just like yer talkin bout. it has a little breather knob right behind the seat....holy shit, i wonder if it's the right fattness to accomodate the bravo tank(s)????

i'm gonna go have a look.....

@grim

I am familiar but have never owned a citta. Believe they are wider than stock bravo tank too

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

a citta's frame is much fatter. you could totally seal the bravo up, though i'd do an acid treatment first to make sure you get all the rust and garbage out of there. there might be a hole in the head tube you'd need to plug. i'm the one that did it to a pinto frame and it worked great, other than running out of gas all the time.

Hey Terry.

There is an opening by the seat that needs to be closed up, and probably at the headtube too. Did you install a vent or any special filler cap??

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i used the filler neck from a rusted out ciao and put it in the seat, and drilled a tiny vent hole in the frame up near the top headset bearing. i had planned on doing a check valve or something, but never got around to it and never had issues with gas coming out the vent hole.

you can see the ciao gas cap in the seat here -

apparently i didn't take any pictures of the vent hole, but you can aaaalmost see it in this picture, it's the shiny little dot on the frame just behind the head tube -

welding skillz on fleek (not really, it's pretty bad) -

also, a neat thing i worked out for the petcock bung; a french bike petcock is the same diameter and thread pitch as a 10mm collared axle nut. you can drill a hole in the bottom of your tube frame to match the diameter of the collar on the axle nut so it's a tight fit, then braze or weld the nut in easy peasy.

sweet!

maybe I'll keep the stock bravo tank in the rear location and just pigtail into the frame??

I think with a 13mm I'll do ok for around town cruisin'

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i'd try it out without the tank and see how it goes. it'll probably be enough, no problem. if it turns out it's not enough, you can always slap the tank on later.

Now I need to find a seat and someone to help weld..

this is going to happen..

bump (2 years later)

492C06D0-616C-4F65-A6E6-17422A44AAEE.jpeg

Batter late than never ? LOL

Looks good Richard. Please keep up this thread with pics. I got a Bravo that just broke a mount on the frame. You've given me something to ponder!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account