SSR Lazer 5 review

Re: SSR Lazer 5 review

Spoiler, it's crap.

HAHAHAHAHA

Again with this crap?

Man someone in my town bought a brand new version of this, showed up to a Moped Wednesday, it was a decent looking bike, but it ran like trash, and got absolutely stomped by a garbage Tomos

18671285_1737676959582097_3104807940534443452_n.jpg

post yer own dang videos

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Next time i see one for cheap Im buying it... this bike gets too much hate for me not to ride one.

suspension is ok, rims and brakes ok, controls are a bit cheap feeling. electrical is a birdsnest and a weak point, engine is underpowered and not responsive. the plastic covers and attachments are junk, the chrome seems to be cheap and rust easy. frame is ok and heavy maybe too heavy for the underpowered motor. battery sucks.

damn i was hoping this would have the sick burnout vid i was promised.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I saw one of these pop up on my local craigslist for 100 bucks.

The guy never got back to me but I wanted to buy it just to slap a little RHB31 turbo on it and get a fancy EFI system. There's nothing like spending $2000 on a motor build to have blow up in 25 miles.

I'll do it one day. Probably with a 125cc lifan. (edited)

Blah, that was me Andy and it was Saturday lol. The initial acceleration is terrible I agree. Cruises right along at 30 mph though nice and smooth. The power conversion of a 2 stroke is just too strong to compare to a 4 stroke of the same engine class. I'm at about 150 miles so far and have had zero issues except for being a little scared on a main road if I get stopped at a red light because then I have to re-accelerate to full speed. the zero to 10 mph is the shitty part. After that it's all cake. I'm maybe hoping the 72cc bore kit and different sprockets on front and back are going to change my life.

If I'd have had any word of these new 2017-2018? tomos's I would have probably just bought one of those. I probably still will eventually.

I just dislike them because Jim's solution to fixing mopeds is to just get an ssr lazer.

That alone is reason enough.

Probably Fred /

Steve Schoch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Blah, that was me Andy and it was Saturday lol.

> The initial acceleration is terrible I agree.

> Cruises right along at 30 mph though nice and

> smooth. The power conversion of a 2 stroke is just

> too strong to compare to a 4 stroke of the same

> engine class. I'm at about 150 miles so far and

> have had zero issues except for being a little

> scared on a main road if I get stopped at a red

> light because then I have to re-accelerate to full

> speed. the zero to 10 mph is the shitty part.

> After that it's all cake. I'm maybe hoping the

> 72cc bore kit and different sprockets on front and

> back are going to change my life.

> If I'd have had any word of these new 2017-2018?

> tomos's I would have probably just bought one of

> those. I probably still will eventually.

Yeah you're wasting your time and money with junk China 4t bike!

Even a cheap puch bike with a 64 cc polini kit goes 60 miles an hour with great take off.

Even with 72cc upgrade you'll never go fast or have fast enough take off to be safe against cars/motorist road rage with Junk china 4 stroke laser bikes !

Drive it off a cliff or Sell it off and put the money towards a vintage moped that you can kit/tune to go fast enough with cager traffic otherwise all your going to do is make people in cars/suvs behind you mad and one of them is going to knock you off the road eventually.

That's funny Mr. "Honda", but true! I'd rather ride one than work on one... also it's weird about the batteries that some with them. Mine was total junk and only lasted a year, but my brother STILL has the original battery in his

Lazer 5, and still works like new. Makes no sense to me, but replacing a battery since 2012 isn't too bad, huh? I've still got my eyes open for a good used Revival, just because I like the looks of them, and i'd like to have

a 2nd bike for when the grandson visits me. Oh, and my Lazer hasn't rusted like someone here said. I'll bet the 72cc version would be cool to ride, but I wonder what the top speed would be on the 72cc version? Does anyone know?

Jim Rees Wrote:

> That's funny Mr. "Honda", but true! I'd rather

> ride one than work on one... also it's weird about

> the batteries that some with them. Mine was total

> junk and only lasted a year, but my brother STILL

> has the original battery in his

> Lazer 5, and still works like new. Makes no sense

> to me, but replacing a battery since 2012 isn't

> too bad, huh? I've still got my eyes open for a

> good used Revival, just because I like the looks

> of them, and i'd like to have

> a 2nd bike for when the grandson visits me. Oh,

> and my Lazer hasn't rusted like someone here said.

> I'll bet the 72cc version would be cool to ride,

> but I wonder what the top speed would be on the

> 72cc version? Does anyone know?

What's weird is how you keep going on and on about a junk ass ped nobody cares about. It's almost like you own the company or you're ocd. I hope you can figure out how to fix it when it does break, and it will sooner or later.

I'm liking the new Tomos pedal for sure, just wish they made a top tank model.

I hear what your saying. I'm not really going on main roads at this point anyways. I don't want to sound like a douche but money isn't an issue. I bought this as a toy and to putter around. It's been fun so far. If I wanted to go 60mph I'd buy a Harley or stay in my car. If I can make some changes for better acceleration I'll be reasonably happy. I get that the "scene" is to mod stuff and go faster and better ect. I'm a moped noob and my hobby if it remains that will move as slow as my bike. 30mph or less.

Pretty much every part that is needed for the Lazer 5 is available on better quality aftermarket from whygostock. They build them all the time and according to them have modded a lot. Seems every moped needs part. The laser 5 doesn't seem to be any exception. Well except for the online hate. But that's free with purchase I guess.

Steve, like you, I just tour the back country roads and do not have the

need for more speed. If that were the case, I would ride something

built to be faster. Even the starting speed doesn't bother me. And,

if and when the time comes for repairs, I am not afraid to get my hands

dirty. It just bothers some on here that mine has not needed any repairs

to speak of so far. So.. keep up the Lazer 5 bashing.. I kind of enjoy it

to be honest, plus it says a lot about the people doing the bashing. I like the fact that it will climb any hill out there, which I can't say about other mopeds that I have ridden.

I liked the review seemed like a real motor trend review...the lazers motor sounds like it would have plenty of grunt for the hills i was surprised it couldnt do better with the fancy hi lo range....hopefully you find a revival soon....im waiting for the review

The review itself is decent, I appreciate now all the more how fine a machine a Tomos is. I wanted to believe in the Lazer, nearly bought one myself before I bought the Tomos, but after seeing this, yikes! The performance is downright awful.

Looks like Jimbo001 has two personalities now. Surely a bright man and non sounding douche Steve would have checked ohios list of approved moped and found it's not on the list and not a moped in Ohio.

Ahh but your wrong. It's on the list of approved mopeds.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/links/bmv_Approved-Moped-Models.pdf

Please reference Bashan - Lazer 5 for your viewing pleasure.

Now who is throwing stones here? You have lost Epeen points on your internet post. (edited)

So you are the same person then?

I'm not worried about my internet points.

Ohh I see. You think I'm Jim Rees. . So you thought questioning my intelligence and character was OK because this is the internet. Bravo

Steve Schoch Wrote:

> Ohh I see. You think I'm Jim Rees. . So you

> thought questioning my intelligence and character

> was OK because this is the internet. Bravo

Well, you did buy a lazer right??

If the shoe fits....lmao

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

If the Lazer and new Tomos are California compliant, do they have to pass regular state imposed emissions testing anywhere? and how many buyers of new Tomos will keep the stock exhaust?

Lia, I looked at the photo of your blue bike on your profile page. Wow,

you've got that decked out super cool looking with the crash bars, saddle

bags, extra lights, etc. I was just curious as to how well it does going

up steep hills. Super cool looking bike!

@D.W. (OFMC) ~ Ha , got cha .. You were here in Nevada or you would know this .. No smog tests for mopeds here .... By the way , what else do we need now that was not needed before ? Here's a hint , it has to do with impound lots in Las Vegas with unclaimed mopeds in them ... @Jim .. I do so love how my SACHS fly's past mopeds like yours on hills , yes life is grand with the SACHS 1-D ...

Don, I have no problems going up hills. I don't weigh 400 pounds like the dude on the video. Not familiar with your brand, but it sounds like a good one.

Andrew Squiggman /

Jim Rees Wrote:

> Don, I have no problems going up hills. I don't

> weigh 400 pounds like the dude on the video. Not

> familiar with your brand, but it sounds like a

> good one.

I'm Sold. I gotta get a Sachs 1-D

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

@Don Sumter(Ofmc) ~ Ha gotcha! Read my post again Sherlock. I know they don't test here I asked if they're tested ANYWHERE ~ Nuff said!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account