How do you carry tools on your bike?

Seeing as how mopeds rattle apart and/or break down a lot I like to carry basic tools and spare parts when riding but I'm getting tired of hauling crap in backpack or messenger bag all the time.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one and that y'all have some ideas for stashing stuff on your bike in a way that it won't fall off in the first 2 miles and you can hide or take with you when you lock up so it doesn't get stolen.

So please share – pics of your solution on your moped would be helpful, links to purchase would be awesome.

Manufacturer built-ins, like under seat storage on Tomos or the trunk on a Magnum, don't count.

Thanks

Re: How do you carry tools on your bike?

In addition to the stock tomos tool box under the seat and the one under the rack I use canvas paniers. They give you enough room for tools, a gallon gas can, chain/lock, and rain gear.

Always hung a backpack, not a big one, on the left handlebar of my bikes and a tool bag on the right handlebar. The bags hold anything I need. They ALSO cut wind and water spray from my knees.

Between the big windshield and speedometer I have a space over the headlight which will also accommodate a big bag.

Anyone that has ridden with me knows I come prepared. don-ohio (:^)

On Big Red Bravo, I added two plastic ammo boxes.

On Blue Bravo I added a tool bag to the forks.

I use this fuel and tool. Goes on the rack. I get 1.5 gal of extra fuel plus i can keep my spare parts and tools in it. I have a bunch of tools in it now, along with all the spare parts I need.

KIMG2336-2.jpeg
KIMG2335-2.jpeg

On the bikes that have them I use the stock tool kits. For what they are they are quite ingenious. If you feel the need you can carry a plug in your pocket, (don't forget to gap it). I usually wear a back-pack when riding to work, for my lunch and such, have one of those one use rain ponchos in there, a mini mag lite, and a few tools. Some band-aids and gauze, as well, you never know. Not wiped out in ages, but never say never. Gloves never hurt to have as well as a spare set of eye protection, I use shop safety glasses.

Stoph Erson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I use this fuel and tool. Goes on the rack. I get

> 1.5 gal of extra fuel plus i can keep my spare

> parts and tools in it. I have a bunch of tools in

> it now, along with all the spare parts I need.

I have seen those, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, that is awesome, prob the best thing for mopeds that was not designed for mopeds.

Agreed. A buddy of mine gave it to me. I love it. Perfect for a moped.

Fanny pack. Not kidding. Was a rally purchase a few years back made by a hells satans.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

^ I've never seen one(fuel and toolmate), but yeah, pretty neat, but not $100 neat, and that's for a used one on ebay. I'll stick with my strapped on tool bag. (edited)

^ not worth a bill, but those are the gems you find at garage sales! Want!

Yeah. Got mine from a buddy for free. Works great.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

^ Very cool, and it looks like new. With that steel flexi-spout, it's gotta be at least 25 years old. I hate these new "safety" gurgle spouts. It takes an hour to pour 5 gallons of fuel. I snatch up the vented gas cans at yard sales that have "unsafe" spouts. You can't buy'em new anymore.

Backpacks are great. Get a tool roll and make your life easier.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> ^ Very cool, and it looks like new. With that

> steel flexi-spout, it's gotta be at least 25 years

> old. I hate these new "safety" gurgle spouts. It

> takes an hour to pour 5 gallons of fuel. I snatch

> up the vented gas cans at yard sales that have

> "unsafe" spouts. You can't buy'em new anymore.

^ word!

Parker *UPJET* Bowab Wrote:

Those are super cool! But at that price, you could buy entire mopeds!

I also went with an ammo can. With a bit of ingenuity, you can create a quick disconnect for it. You can line them with foam to keep the rattling down too.

20170421_152524.jpg

The spouts you seek are for "water" cans. Same container with a super flow spout.

I don't often have just one bike I ride. but I do have one good pack of tools. it's my always toolbag.

It's in a climbing satchel from a used outdoor store - theyre a really convenient size with tons of straps and clips and places to attach it to stuff.

if I feel like carrying it, it goes on the rack with a bungee or in my backpack

sometimes I make smaller "travel" toolkits with just some real basic basics like a plug wrench and screwdrivers. Those usually get dedicated per bike, and tucked in somewhere easy like under the seat or inside the tripletree

Ive had to remove and re-buff clutch pads on a sachs once in a parkinglot, and managed with just screwdrivers and a double ended plug socket.

I used to carry a leatherman style multitool - sometimes that's all you need.

I keep them safely lodged in my mouth.

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

Tool Roll.

IMG_20170226_161051-1774x3131.jpg

Depends on the bike. Saddlebags on my 50V, tool rolls on other mopeds. On my MB5 there is the built in glovebox thing, and I gutted the stock airbox and sealed off the holes. I can fit a pile of stuff in there which comes in handy.

"I have always relied on the kindness of strangers"

grim ripper /

i got a little belt loop bag, read "modular fanny pack." back packs are ok, but i don't like them for long rides, or at rallies. they cover up my battle vest. i made some really nice ammo can saddle bags. they work, but i don't really need that much space.

i don't always carry tools, but i always do at rallies. one time i didn't, and it was a bummer. my bike was fine, but i was unable to help someone fix something, and it bummed me out, so i always carry a basic tool kit whenever i'm riding with a group.

Christian Bordelon /

Picked up saddle bags for a 4 wheeler for like $3 from a salvage store. Cloth with a bunch of compartments. Put it on my Bravo and safety pinned it to my bike. Didn't move even after being smacked by an armored truck. No rattles, kept everything organized. That fuel and to can would be awesome though.

1188202799_oneshotjn01.jpg

In this red box.

17951571_1754517604574929_4074340153813732197_n.jpg

I used similar moped panniers for pinball3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ET9W146/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H37S824/

mopedpanniers.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account