New person 1 day record: 140km on a moped

Jamie Leonard /

Well I discovered yesterday the tomos seat and shocks while normally quite adequate are not quite as good with a days total of 3 and a half hours of riding! Hope my rear gets used to it - this is going to be a wednesday regular thing (I also hope my tomos stands up to the punishment since it'll also be getting 80km/day on most other weekdays)

Out of some of the other daily riders out there (possibly excepting the moped distance addict don-o ;) ) - what kinds of distance have you done as a regular thing on your machine? (This is pure idle curiousity mind you)

Jamie

Re: New person 1 day record: 140km on a moped

I think any seat will hurt your butt if you ride long enough...eventually though, you get used to the pain. :)

flannelman /

i bought one of those gel thing for bike no more pain for me :)

I'm glad you gave Don-O his "props" we all know he's the "King-o-distance"

My record in a day.... probably about 50 miles--- that's around Portland, out to Old Orchard Beach, around the beach, and back again. about 4 hours of riding....

Stereo held up the whole journey. It was a 2000 tomos w/biturbo, so it was a little faster than my QT-50. The stereo, was a bit more primitive.... as it evolves each spring.

The QT stereo is much LOUDER than the tomos, and for a tiny bike, the 3 speakers attached to the QT's very nicely.

qt= 25-30 mph

Targa= 30-37 mph

My bikes (the QT's) have wimpy shocks, and scooter type tires. I want to stiffen up the shocks.... and do some of the basic mods that were posted awhile ago.

Until I get a brand new moped and break it in, i doubt I'll go further than 10 miles from home....I'll ride around town for a long way, but not in a straight line...

Jamie Leonard /

Nod - my machine is a 2000 tomos with biturbo as well (good ride definitely and gets me up to 60kph on flat ground)

Don-O definitely gets the credit for distance mania (in my case going this distance wasn't so much a choice.. a car isn't in my budget and isn't necessary right now, but on the other hand public transit getting to where I need to go takes me about an hour longer than the moped... on one leg of the three leg trip (tack in the other two legs and it adds an hour and 45 mins) So mopeding is the easiest/fastest/cheapest way for me to get there.

Actually last night was the perfect ride... 35km and I only hit about 1 red light (found the perfect speed, perfect cool clear night, no traffic... I could get used to that! Especially after an afternoon ride filled with construction zones, impatient drivers doing illegal things, and sun hot enough to boil whatever remains of my brain. (Not much I suspect these days)

Jamie

three deceptions just did the 150+ miles from kalamazoo to north chicago in about 8 1/2 hrs total time.

hey man

get a fuzzy sheepskin cover for your seat. it will save your ass.

i know they look funny....but you will understand once you use one.

this old retired guy i deal mopeds and motorcycles with in the next

town over told me a story of 2 young ladies going from new york to

los angeles on mopeds in the 70*s. this was over the summer. they

gave up in kansas city and sold him both of their bikes. they were

vespa grandes...

david f martin /

I put at least 25 miles every day on mine, except Sundays. Today I put probably closer to 50, running errands at work. The weather is so perfect for riding, too...

I've had it for about 3 months and put about 1400 miles on it. Its total downtime since then, maybe 4 days of bumming rides from my sister.

I haven't made a long trip, yet... I have friends I'd like to visit more often, about 70 miles away. It could probably handle it, but I'd like to work on it a little bit more first.

david

Dan Webber Kastner /

I rode 246 kilometers today, and my ass hurts. we rode from Kalamazoo Mi to Chicago in 8.5 hours. About 153 miles. oh what a ride. pretty nice trip actually. tomorrow we head back home.

dan

swarm and destroy

Ron Brown /

Dan and Miguel, I'm proud of you and whoever rode with you. Before long, we will shame Fred into riding to the BBQ. :)

Good luck on your ride today.

My own personal bes, done with several other people, including Ree, is about 100 miles to the BBQ.

Ron

i had a nice ride about a week ago. i left my house about 4 in the morning and headed torwards the shore. its a nice long ride. It took me about 3 hours to get there. i rode bout 118 miles. then wondered the streets of Atlantic City for 2 hours or so. and didnt get home until 6 that nite. i put alomost 300 miles on my Tomos and my ass hurts! :)

Jamie Leonard /

I suspect my rear end will end up getting used to it (every non rainy day I ride to work now, and thats about a 50 - 60 minute trip on the 'ped) - one trick I have learned if you do urban riding, when you stop at a longer stoplight... stand up for a minute. It helps prevent cramping, gets some feeling back in the old rear, and stretches out those legs a bit.

Yeah... thats why my new footpegs are a big help... after riding 20 or 30 minutes in one position... it really feels good to move your legs to a different spot... plus it changes where the load on your butt is... so that feels better too.

And with the footpegs... I can stand up while cruising at speed.... do that for a minute or two and you get another position for your muscles to move to... and give them a break.

Our bodies just don't like staying in one position.

Still gotta get my 'highway pegs' though.

Then I will be set... I'll do 100 miles with ease... (not that I will do that much... but its nice to have the option)

Jamie Leonard /

Nod... I suspect when I get my jawa on the road in the next few weeks (gotta get plates on the sucker now and the hard part will be finding time to get to the MTO office! :) I'll find it a bit more comfortable as well - it's got a bit more room to it than the tomos I ride (though it might not prove quite as reliable and definitely won't be quite as zippy, still will see how it manages the ride into work)

I'm halfway debating taking an entire day and doing a really long trip later this summer myself - pick a slightly cooler day and just head north along side roads for a while.

Longest I've done was about 20 mi. Which was enough!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account