82 Honda Urban Express rebuild

Richard Weese /

I'm in the process of rebuild my urban express and was wondering about bumping it up to 80cc. Any body have any comments on this? Also will a Honda z50 kit fit this? If not I can get a 60cc kit and be just as happy. Comments are appreciated.

Re: 82 Honda Urban Express rebuild

Good luck on that 80cc.

Richard Weese /

Do you think it's worth the shot our should I just stick with basic rebuild

I think it doesn't exist.

Richard Weese /

I know I can get a sixty cc kit for it but the eighty cc states allot of other bikes with the nu50 mixed in so I have mixed feelings about it

Then you are looking at eBay listings or really a site you shouldn't be. You are jumping way ahead of yourself. Read the wiki, search like the cure for cancer is on this forum (it might be). Rebuild the bottom end of your bike and make it run properly. Then, then, search more about kitting your specific bike. It is here. After all of that you just might, but likely won't, have a question that hasn't been asked 12 times this year and answered in regurgitated answers verbatim each time.

Richard Weese /

Your right your right I am getting way ahead of myself...... Eat the elephant don't gorge on it ...... One bite at a time not all at once ...... Thanks for slowing me down

Andrew Squiggman /

you really shouldn't eat elephants.

Richard Weese /

Lol I keep hearing that but they are so good ...... JK...JK

Captain Janeway /

Stock running first, only then add stuff. If you don't have one, go get a manual.

Also jump in guys, but is an 80 cc cylinder and the power it produces going to blow out all the other engine parts? Heck if you want a moped going 60 mph, just buy a motorcycle.

I love these bikes. (edited)

It doesn't matter because it doesn't exist.

i am just begining work on my urban. this is what i am thinking of doing.

Athena 70CC kit or DR 70CC kit,

GY6 clutch

carbn fiber reeds

VM20 intake

VM20 carb.

80CC does not exist... yet. maybe if you weld more material to the case?

Richard Weese /

Is that direct fit our you gonna have to do medications

I will say this, it's definitely worth considering if you're kitting it before rebuilding because if so it's the perfect opportunity to case match to the new kit.

but I also agree, get it running first and avoid changing too much at once, because if it doesn't work after it gets really hard to know which new part isn't working

there are no 80cc cylinders made for the NU50. It is possible to adapt large bore scooter kits FROM OTHER 2 STROKES, but you have to really know what you're doing and there are a LOT of considerations before doing so.

Furthermore if you're looking at cheap 80cc cylinders like from motorized bicycles or something, stop. research and learn more first

its important to understand that there IS replacement for displacement. LOTS. that is to say, bigger does not mean better and until you understand the inter-relations between cylinder porting port timing, carb and pipe, tuned rpm timing and definitely cooling capacity is huge here too, you wont be able to make the right decisions to have a successful cylinder swap

the best bet always from the beginning is take it slow, one step at a time.

for example

1) get a pipe, understand how it changes the feel, and you'll need to rejet and get a feel for rich and lean.

also what pipe?! steven, you've got a good list of quick parts but no pipe! that's critical!!

2) anyway.. THEN secondly get a cylinder and maybe a carb too. don't do this until you've got a good feel for how to tune jetting and timing!

THEN toy around with porting it yourself. see what difference you can affect by changing port timing. You can make way more power ripping on a high rpm small cylinder than a puffing along on big 80cc low-rev clunker.

That's pretty critical to understanding why porting matters, what makes good porting, what makes a good quality powerful cylinder.

THEN you can start thinking about welding material and cutting new studs and seeing what other horizontal cylinders might fit for your stroke length and what kind of spacers you'll need to line up the ports etc etc etc. (edited)

the z50 is a 4 stroke and those cylinders are in absolutely no way remotely similar to the nu50. I mean theyre mostly the same metal. maybe. but like every possibly thing is insanely different and the thought that it might work screams holy shit slow down and understand what you're doing first.

YOU MOTHER FUCKER YOU GOT ME. I can't believe I just wrote all that shit before I read the medications comment. sonova bitch. good shit. you win (edited)

I felt bad for Will while reading through each of these. The feeling of never getting back time in your life that you spent to no purpose.

Richard Weese /

Ok so first thing get it running stock play around with it get comfortable and only then if I feel the need to upgrade then do so thanks everyone for your comments and input I'll be posting pics once I get to a point that I can right now everything apart just frame and pieces

nu50, first task, replace crank seals v____v (your results may vary)

dont mess up your crank threads trying to pull off the clutch side!

Get familiar with pulling and installing your belt-drive side of the motor.

If it runs and the tires are good just ride it...then put a new plug in it and ride it some more then like WillD said put a pipe on it ect......

Yeah, and how about a picture of, maybe the bike this time...

hi rich,

Urbans are my fav to work on: mechanically ive yet to find one that can be killed; aesthetically they have the potential to look tits (if you do it right). i was told that they were "hot" last year (maybe this year too).

First: An well tuned urban with a 60cc shocko on it can run better than one with a parmakit (that lacks th following) if you take the time to ensure the wheels are true, the carb is approprate (love them vm20s), case matched, right weight in the var, good clutch grip, etc. With these bikes (and most others) you want to make sure all the upgrades compliment each other; personally, Id suggest starting with the exhaust.

HOWEVER, if ur dead set on goin with the hugest kit money can buy (or waste), then the aethena will give you the most cc's right otta the box; or take the DR, bore itnout and slap in the largest overbore piston on treats. Thats as large as ur gunna get without home made fab.

Best of luck,

- alex

Richard, i medicate all day every day. :-)

oh yeah, i have some rare gilera exhaust for scooters that noped steve gave sold me. it was cheaper than the MLM...

#Crazy Wayne ™ ROCK'S, #Crazy Wayne /

Stay on your meds stay off the peds

Jack Rutherford /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

You can make way more power ripping on a

> high rpm small cylinder than a puffing along on big 80cc low-rev

> clunker.

>

> That's pretty critical to understanding why porting matters, what makes

> good porting, what makes a good quality powerful cylinder.

>

I'm in this boat right now. Overbored big time a cylinder and low to mid is good but top end isn't where it should be. Maybe piston has too much mass? Raise the exhaust port? Transfers got flattened out with over-boring?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account