shock problem

Hi All, I have a Derbi Variant shipped to me and the front shock screw caps were removed by the shipper. As I try to tighten them down again I'm finding that the springs in the shocks absorb the turn and then as soon as I let the ratchet go it unscrews back to where it started. Should I be looking to release the springs from the bottom of the shocks first?

Also if you're familiar with the Derbi could you tell me what the hex screw on the bottom of the shock is?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!-Jim A.

Re: shock problem

Ron Brown /

Jim,

The shipper should have included assembly instructions. Is there no way to contact him?

Ron

Ron Brown /

Jim,

I got your email, replying to the forum usually gets more responses, but it seems no one is interested in this thread.

You may want to try a new one with "Derbi Forks" in the subject.

Meanwhile, is the cap you are trying to install flat on the bottom, or does it actuall "thread" into the top of the spring as well as into the top of the forks.

I think my Batavus fork springs "screwed" onto the fork caps and into the fork legs, so that the spring was what held the fork legs in the tubes. If this is the case, I think you have to release the fork lowers from the wheel so that they can rotate as you screw in the top cap. Then you "screw" the fork leg lowers into the uppers until the spring is seated, then replace the wheel.

If the bottom of the cap is flat, you should be able to overcome the spring pressure enough to tighten the caps down and the spring should unwind as you ride.

Ron

Hi Ron, you are 100% correct. Sean at Myrons Mopeds in Fullerton CA gave me the same advice and as soon as he said it I knew that must be the answer. BTW I just stopped collecting Batavus (Batavi?) mopeds and still have lots of spare stuff. Let me know if there's anything you need. Thx-Jim

Ron Brown /

Jim,

You're welcome.

Actually, I only have one Batavus Starflite and other than being dog slow, (skinny exhaust I've been told), its only problem is a leaky petcock.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account