Essential Moped Tools

Simon Belmont /

Hi, just wondering what do you think would be the "essential tools to have" when working on a moped?

It's just that I was watching Travis Puch's youtube video and he mentioned "Impact-Driver" (a manual torque screwdriver) as one of the essential tools to have when freeing up hard/frozen/rusted screws, didn't have one so I ordered it just in case, but so far I know that important list of tools would include:

Torque Wrench (I like the 3/8 Pittsburgh torque wrench)

Socket Set (including larger sizes)

T-handle hex-key set (T-handle makes it faster to work on bolts)

Piston stop

Tire Levers (large metal ones)

Screw-Driver set

Adjustable Wrench

Vise & Clamps (for holding things)

Air Pump (obviously)

Pressure Tester (screws into spark plug-hole - optional, but useful to have)

Empty Squeeze Bottle with small hole at the end of the cone (for easy oil filling)

If I'm missing anything, please feel free to list any other important to have tools when working with moped.

Re: Essential Moped Tools

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

A brain

:)

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

@Simon ~ U forgot Duck Tape and Bayling Wire... ~ Just sayin' !

Sumter style... (edited)

Simon Belmont /

Really Brandon?

Really?

Simon Belmont /

Don, you're right, I prefer (black) gorilla tape - good stuff.

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

PB Blaster, needle nose, Teflon tape, diagonal cutters, wire connectors, heat shrink, jackstands/sling and winch, air conditioner, beer cooler, bong, Bic lighter, beer, weed, bong prong

Dirty30 Dillon /

Arbor/Hydraulic Press: you can get them very cheap, used.

Drain pan

Lapping stone

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

Calipers, feeler gauges, kitty littet, claw hammer (to bash shit when your moped won't run)

Simon Belmont /

Very nice list Don, I personally use recycled PC power supply wire & heat shrink tubes to join it when replacing electrical wires.

Dillon, what do you use Arbor/Hydraulic Press for?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Pressing bearings, splitting cases, etc.

Way more control than just bashing things together, and sometimes heat/cold plus a mechanical advantage makes a tricky job cake.

Heavy-Duty chain breaker. You can use a straight punch and hammer pins out also.....just position the chain over a socket and whack it.

VISE-GRIPS! And needle-nose vise-grips. Mirrors and magnet.

don-ohio

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

I often reach for a crappy HF pair of needle nose vice grips. Handy all around tool. I've been through about four pairs, paid for one, the rest exchanged on warranty. Wish I could find an authentic old school version.

A good torque wrench is nice to have. Disposable gloves. Flywheel puller. Zip ties. timing tool. angle grinder. buy as many 10mm wrenches and sockets as you can. You'll always lose them. And a good spark plug wrench.

A moaning chair.

Simon Belmont /

I actually purchased 2 pair vice grips on sale about 10 years go funny thing is, never really had opportunity to use them, but I did get a chance to use long heavy-duty tweezers for getting screws/washer from hard to reach places, magnet & mirror sound like a nice idea also, angle grinder came really handy for manufacturing & modifying parts.

Don Wayne (Ofmc) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I often reach for a crappy HF pair of needle nose

> vice grips. Handy all around tool. I've been

> through about four pairs, paid for one, the rest

> exchanged on warranty. Wish I could find an

> authentic old school version.

Don, the NAPA store or a DO-IT Hardware generally have, or can get you the really, really, real VISE-GRIPS. don-ohio (:^)

Strap wrench

don't use a piston stop. use a strap wrench.

Circlip plyers or whatever theyre called in english.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

A rubber mallet, and/or a deadblow mallet are very useful for tapping things apart or back together without marring or damaging surfaces.

A welder ( not the jB kind :) ) is a great thing to have and learn to use as well!

A decent bench vise and a sturdy homemade workbench to mount it to is essential.

TDC-finder tool for 2-stroke engines

sparkplug wrench

self-vulcanizing tape

impact

comes in handy a lot, but you can survive without it. impact driver like electric are super fun. the hammer ones work too.

torque wrench

hardly think a torque wrench is essential. you can get by without one if you're not hulking things.

Socket Set

I use a limited set. skip all sizes under 8, never need a 9. a long 11 is important for tomos, and long 10 is nice to have.

10 for everything, 11 for tomos moby other oddballs with m7s. 12/13 for general fasteing mount bolts etc, 14, 15 17 for big bolts and axles etc.

16 and 18 (long both) only if you've got motorcycles with other size spark plus. 19, 20 generally useless, 21 is some axles. and a spark plug obv.

T-handle hex-key set

meh, 4,5,6 allen is all I keep, sometimes an 8 if I've got big allen m12 bolts

Piston stop A+

Tire Levers (large metal ones) key. 2 levers. fuck a third.

Screw-Driver set, yes. at least 2 each, big and tiny. and maybe micro flat for wiring blocks.

Adjustable Wrench yeah.

Vise & Clamps (for holding things)

usually get away without it.

Air Pump (obviously)

Pressure Testerdang. nah. never had, never needed. you can easily tell if you've got a compression issue. maybe useful for getting to 100% perfect status, but 99% is doable without.

Empty Squeeze Bottle true, handy. or I just get a little cone cap that screws onto whatever bottle. gear oil comes with these caps and I just save the cap after.

for other suggestions, you can totally find TDC just fine with a screwdriver and diligence.

angle grinder and mallet are good calls.

I'd be fucked often without a drill.

also a flywheel puller. its not essential but I use it as much as some other tools. so much it's in my togo rally toolkit. youd be surprised how many people borrow it too. (puch derbi tomos sachs bosch threaded...)

a small pointy set of pliers can do a lot on the fly, pick dropped shit outta small holes or start difficult nuts in hard to reach places, or if you're good - tackle circlips too.

a sharpie comes in crazy handy very often. a knife also - especially w wiring.

always always carry zipties. perfect quickfix. hell we've even replaced busted spark plug boots with clever ziptieing.

these are all in my togo kit. can do most anything and it weighs at like 2lb.

Simon Belmont /

I reach out to "Leatherman - Wingman" when I need pointy set of pliers, it can also cut zip ties, has knife, scissors (useful for cutting tape) and many other tools.

Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Circlip plyers or whatever theyre called in

> english.

Yes,Bas, I forgot about those. Very handy. don-ohio

Simon Belmont Wrote:

> I reach out to "Leatherman - Wingman" when I need

> pointy set of pliers, it can also cut zip ties,

> has knife, scissors (useful for cutting tape) and

> many other tools.

I never go riding without my leatherman, but any good multi tool is a good moped tool. Screwdrivers pliers scissors knives, it all comes in handy.

IMG_2831.JPG

A lot of good stuff listed, I bought some ratcheting box end wrenches a few years back that I really like and use a lot.

I have a small pair of snap-on needle nose pliers with a curved tip that I bought back in the 80's. I swear I have used those more than any other tool I have ever owned.

This wooden do-dad holds the piston up while I slide the cylinder on.

IMG_2833.JPG

A press would be handy.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

If you're working on a ZA50, i'd recommend a set of Blaine's tools. ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account