In regards to parking my moped overnight in Brooklyn

In regards to parking my moped overnight in Brooklyn:

As I do not want to store my moped in or near my apartment so to avoid breathing in gas fumes . What is your experience locking your moped overnight on a lamp post on the sidewalk or a tree in your front yard overnight? do I have to worry that it may be stolen, damaged or ticketed ?

Thank you

Re: In regards to parking my moped overnight in Brooklyn

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

What part of brooklyn are you in? It all depends.

I would say not the best part of Brooklyn, yet I question if thieves are interested in a ratty looking moped.

By the Brandon, are you Frum ?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

J m Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> By the Brandon, are you Frum ?

Yes! :)

Probably Fred /

Bring it in or it will be gone

Make sure it don't leak/make sure petcock works good and bring it in

I would rather breathe in the fumes then wake up and have the bike stolen...My father always says. "You only need to lock up the things you desire to keep"

Drain the gas into a red gas can keep that outside of your apartment, if you seal it right it wouldn't smell, and keep the bike with an empty gas tank for one night

Its not too practical to drain the tank on a regular basis, I was thinking about a removable tank but that would be messy and there would still be gas in the carb. and gas line.

Running it for like 5 minutes with a little bit of throttle will get rid of the gas in the carb+gas line if the petcock is working correctly. A simple removable gas tank with some extra long fuel line might work if you rig it up correctly and feel like it's justifiable. I would definitely recommend bringing it in though...would suck to have a ped stolen, and I see the stolen moped posts far too often for my liking.

rig up a pulley system and park it next to your window ...

Probably Fred /

Some of my bikes are actually in a living area (the lower rec room area) and I smell nothin but the carbs are empty.

My first Moped a Italevo I would take everywhere even up a 4th floor walk up

now I don't have to but I still won't leave bikes outside in the weather

I try to keep up my bikes maintenance wise for no leaks and on a bike I'm not gonna use for a while that is going to be in area I drain the carb.

Just before I get back maybe a block I shut the petcock off to help run the carb out of gas so it don't idle for 5 minutes to empty.

Do not run bike carb empty at speed just at idle

Get a kryptonite chain lock and a scoot/moto/moped cover and chain it to a bike rack or sign post. In the spring the cops like to impound bikes chained to signs so go for a bike rack if you can.

How about an out of site out of mind approach, if take the moped some place that no one is going to go unless they live there. Is this better ? being a bit paranoid are thieves staking you out and checking these areas ?

Be sure to take a good photo or two of the bike. That way when (not if) it's stolen, you'll at least have a photo to post.

LOL

Agree about getting a good bike cover, and a thick chain. If they can't see what's under it, they won't be tempted to steal it. Also have you looked into a parking garage? It's less than the amount for a car, but only a little more than the cost to store a traditional bicycle. The piece of mind is priceless.

Covers are HUGE, also keeps the bike dry. Would still figure out a way to bring it inside, I have 3 in my dining room right now, and no fumes, but if you have leaks don't do that. You can rubber band a baggie over the gas cap to control fumes too.

Simon Belmont /

Been parking Tomos in Brooklyn projects overnight chained up to lamp post for over 3 years, the trick is to make your moped look as unappealing to steal as possible, use lots of duct tape, make sure it looks dirty, if its scratched up and rusty, that's even better, use a heavy duty chain and lock such as kryptonite and also use a rain cover, I use motion censor alarm as well just in case.

I stored my moped in my dorm room when I was in college. Just make sure that it isn't leaking and you'll never smell it. That means gas cap gasket, new petcock, new fuel lines with good clamps, a fuel filter, and a viton tipped float needle.

I would never chance leaving one of my mopeds locked outside unless it was daytime and it was in an area where multiple people could easily see it being stolen. Over night is a no-go. Just bring it in.

If it does not emit fumes then I suppose there should be no issue bringing it in.

I was thinking making it Ratty will make it less appealing to steal. putting a cover would certain, especially outside

Might not be the first night, but you will wake up to that thing gone.

Simon Belmont /

You actually can bring it up-stairs to an apartment, I've never had problem with fuel smell when bring ped upstairs, unless you unscrew gas cap and top-it-up while its in the apartment. So yeah, if your ped looks good and you want to be extra careful, bring it upstairs.

Brian Solex Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Be sure to take a good photo or two of the bike.

> That way when (not if) it's stolen, you'll at

> least have a photo to post.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

If you can find one still, the Christams bicycle present bags work grat for bagging a moped to eliminate odors

On the street you may as well kiss it goodbye right now, ratty or not

I parked both my MB5 and maxi out on the street in astoria and clinton hill/bedstuy for years- most of that time with no cover. My maxi did get stolen over thanksgiving but it was locked with a mediocre U-lock and hadn't been moved in a few months - I eventually got it back 6 months later. It really depends on your area. If you have a gate or hallway that's always a better option but otherwise a heavy chain lock and a cover will keep you pretty damn safe.

I live in a relatively peacefull place, little to no crime, but i still keep my mopeds inside. Theres always tweakers that fiddle about with your moped at night, and the main reason is the weather. Keeping a moped outside in the rain will make it rust.

Ive never had problems with the fumes, but it could be that i just dont smell it anymore.

If it doesn't look like it can wheelie most people in Brooklyn aren't too interested, had to leave my mb5 at the not so friendly fort Greene projects for a few nights and it was never messed with.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Bas wasn't there a pic somewhere of a maxi in Amsterdam with puke all over it?

I remember seeing them chained up right in the main tourist areas (like the train stop by where that giant cheeseboard is). And not for s short whole too they were always knocked over and bedraggled like they'd been their for days.

Yeah in Amsterdam, but amsterdam isnt the Netherlands, its just a branch of disneyland.

In Amsterdam you lose your bicycle in a day if you dont have at least 2 locks on it, but the market for stolen mopeds is a lot smaller so junkies just dont bother.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Found it. The Puke Maxi. Credit to Spoo.

This is the least that will happen if you park your bike outside in a major city.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account