custom gasket maker?

so i need to get a new head gasket for my moped do i go with treats and just buy their gasket or should i go with a gasket maker material such as this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CNISM2/

has anyone made their own gasket? and what would the pros and cons be?

Re: custom gasket maker?

there are answers if you search hard enough

lots folks make their own gaskets outta gasket paper. it can work well for simple things like intake gaskets or base gaskets.

It also works well for clutch or transmission gaskets etc if you take the time to draw it out and cut it neatly.

the paper/fiber gasket material isn't gonna work for high heat or high pressure spots like the headgasket or exhaust.

there is thicker exhaust gasket sheet material also, like asbestos and other, but it's very difficult to cut evenly on small scale

for the head gasket you can get away without the head gaskets usually, depending on the bike and if it needs the headgasket for the decompression channel.

if the head and cylinder are both neatly flat and well mated however the head gasket's unnecessary. some people like copper spray or goop but I'm less excited about that option, I kinda feel like it's a nice peace of mind idea but not really doing much... you can also cut head gasket outta copper sheet but that stuff's pricey anymore. other metal sheet could work but copper is best for good heat transfer to the head and also malleable softer metal compresses and seals better. you wanna keep it thin to benefit compression.

Honestly though when I'm not time critical, I just spend the few extra bucks to get head gaskets and exhaust gaskets, all other ones i'll cut myself unless it's crazy complex or thickness specific like vertical split case gaskets.

Depends on the gasket, dog.

First, if you're going to make your own, you can just go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts or wherever and get a huge roll for cheap.

For base and intake gaskets, making yer own is no problemo.

Case gaskets are harder to do by hand, especially because they typically use a specific thickness and using the wrong one will mean your internals won't be happy.

Head/exhaust gaskets are not easily made at home, unless your home has a laser cutter or some good tooling.

THANKS LOU FOR SUMMARIZING MY LAST POST

Lucky 2 Strokes made me a derbi pp case gasket with their vinyl cutter (i think) since everyone was out of stock on them.

for head and base gaskets though as long as you have a nice sharp knife and some patience they'll work just great. (edited)

no one of covfefe /

its a moped....just make it out of whatever you have

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

So I totally hear that you can make your own gaskets, but the material you can buy is sometimes a pain in the ass to cut accurately. You can buy some from Treats though. Have you heard the same thing WillD?

Don't know about making head gaskets, cause most are made of metal and not quite as easy as cutting fiber materials.

I would suggest a small pair of pointed scissors like these to make the job easier.

20170127_234025.jpg

Born to be WillD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> THANKS LOU FOR SUMMARIZING MY LAST POST

LOL we actually were probably typing this at the same time

If you need a head gasket then get some copper sheet and cut your own. Copper will be come work hardened so you will need to anneal it by heating it up wicked hot with your propane torch until it starts to look bronze colour, then throw it into a bucket of cold water.

Best part of a copper head gasket is that when you next tear down the motor you can reanneal it soft again with the heat and quench procedure and reuse it over and over and over...

You can also use the copper sheet for exhause gaskets if you have a bolt on flange union for the exhause. If you need a crush gasket for your exhause you can weave a wreath of stranded copper from electrical wire with the insulation stripped off. Use a socket with the same OD as your pipe as a dolly to create the correct ID of the circle and weave it oversize so it will crush down.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Pacer Racer Wrote:

> Don't know about making head gaskets, cause most

> are made of metal and not quite as easy as cutting

> fiber materials.

> I would suggest a small pair of pointed scissors

> like these to make the job easier.

>

>

Also a single hole punch so you can cut the bolt holes.

Rebel, I never would have thought of the woven electrical wire crush gasket. You sir are truly a magician.

I never had much luck with a normal holepunch, but this $9 HF set is super useful for gasketing.

hole punch is the truth. same size as m6 studs but you have to be PERFECTO.

pro tip : hole punch also works great for copper, but maybe buy 2 hole punches. keep one for paper only so it stays nice and sharp and one that you'll replace pretty often for copper.

grim ripper /

you get the hole punch, and the little scissors. i use cereal box cardboard. for everything. triscuit box. family size cheerios for derbi case gasket. soft aluminum pizza pan for base gaskets. i never run head gaskets. i've done it for years. it works fine. i use a torque wrench a lot too.

I use different caliber brass shell casings for punching the holes out on top a nylon cutting board .Works well and you can have a large selection of sizes if you live near a gun range or are a hunter for free. Xacto knives are the best for cutting complicated gaskets for sure because you don't have to risk tearing them with the scissors .

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Lots of different gasket materials. Hole punch, HF punch set, small pointed manicuring scissors, etc. Anything that will get the job done.

Andrew Squiggman /

haha, I read the title as "custom casket maker"

Charles Cole (OFMC) Wrote:

> Lots of different gasket materials. Hole punch, HF

> punch set, small pointed manicuring scissors, etc.

> Anything that will get the job done.

I've tried the exacto knifes and I always resort back to the scissors.

I get better control and since they are sharp they cut completely thru the material. With exactos you never know if it cuts completely through until you tear the material by accident because the blade did not go all the way through.

My girlfriend has one of those craft vinyl cutter things. Next time I have to make a complicated gasket I'm gonna try using it.

I just cut a za case gasket from a brown paper bag with kiddy scissors and a hole punch. though I did hit it with a few layers of copper spray...

PS when you finally cut that PERFECT gasket keep it as a template. I have a derbi PR case gasket i've made duplicates of multiple times. Helluva lot better than mapping it out again. I have a nice little box with gaskets organized in manilla folders by make.

Also, manilla folders make great gaskets.

I cut a head gasket out of an aluminum cans once at a rally. It works but it's a pain. I would only do it in a pinch. You're better off just buying one. Thin aluminum can be really sharp and may leave you with some cuts to show for making your own aluminum gasket.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account