Whats the Best racing carburetor for a 80cc moped?

john bisonette /

I've looked at them all... all brands and all sizes I just would like to know from people's experience what's best. So over all the best performing carb for my money. ( I wanna buy a new one not used or rebuilt) (edited)

Re: Best racing carburetor for a 80cc moped

Mikuni 24 flat slide

Re: Whats the Best racing carburetor for a 80cc moped?

Yea mikuni 24 flatslide is what I use on my Gila race bike.

TM24 is great

im a keihin/mik fan

lectron. Never used one, but the motionbee put down like 1hp over the tm24 on the dyno I believe.

will warn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> lectron. Never used one, but the motionbee put

> down like 1hp over the tm24 on the dyno I believe.

its like $500 and it doesnt have an idle circuit, it's a light switch throttle. It would be awful on a single speed bike. Could potentially be okay on a super revy variated bike with a very high stall clutch.

theyre almost exclusively used for drag racing and karting. Not so great for GP

for a moped that is still streetable I would say a Mikuni TM or a Kiehn PWK (edited)

keihin

kehen

I don't know how to spell it or say it but they are great

I put OKOs on everything. They're pretty cheap and perform as well (in my experience anyway) on par with the TM24. I get them on ebay for about $25/each.

The TM24 is probably a bit better quality but you can't beat the price of the OKO. With any PWK carb (Keihin, KOSO, OKO, Polini, etc) always run genuine Keihin jets or you're going to have problems with tuning. There are a lot of fakes out there.

Also note that if you run a KOSO carb, they come with a short round jet, not a long hex jet like the other PWK carbs. The hex jets wont fit, but you can swap the atomizer out and then run hex jets. That allows you to run all keihin brass in them.

But seriously, for $25 how can you not buy a PWK style carb?

Yeah, If I were to say best for a built 80, it's TM24, very tunable, great performance, good size, and lots of experience to take from. it's also hex jets so depending who's around you to share jets with that can be a plus.

Personally though, if I were building an 80 I'd go OKO, they're maybe not all out best but certainly best value, still very tunable and great performing carbs. it's basically a clone of the Keihin PWK people are promoting above, and in my experience they're good clones.

Actually last 80 I built I used an oko21, it was siiiiiiick and 2/3 the price of a TM.

THERE ARE WORSE VERSIONS THOUGH! I dunno how it happened but there are clones of the OKOs that are like clone of clone. the castings are shitty, holes bored misaligned, weird crappy shit. Seen people get those before, but thew ones from treats have all been solid that I've seen. I like the black ones too.

holy jesus yeah the shit OKO's I was sayin I looked on ebay you can get em for 20 bucks! good lord.

I've seen weird shit with those where they don't fill or don't seal or slides stick.

I almost wanna get one to see how bad it is, I don't even have anything to put it on.

are those legit okos? or oko clones?

I run oko if I'm going to go over 16mm.

They are more sensitive to jetting then a VM but once dialed in perform way better at half the price.

If you got deep pockets its guna be the YOSHIMURA MIKUNI TM-MJN24 .For the rest of us mortals the Tm24 will sufice or the OKO will do if your on a budget

Charlie Cofer /

21mm dellorto on mine. Never had a problem.

Some genuine OKO carbs have the tasty powerjet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Carburetor-for-STIHL-070-090-090G-090AV-Engine-directly-/231496752106?hash=item35e6481bea

I love these carbs but they're tricky to mount, and prefer reeds.

But the throttle response is awesome.

Mikuni love you long time. Whatever you do don't get a PB&J "racing" Dellorto. Unless you hate life and want to hate it more.

Probably Fred /

Homemade intake and 2 17mm bings

12:12 SHA, WOT or bust!

Max Johnson Wrote:

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Carburetor-for

> -STIHL-070-090-090G-090AV-Engine-directly-/2314967

> 52106?hash=item35e6481bea

> I love these carbs but they're tricky to mount,

> and prefer reeds.

>

> But the throttle response is awesome.

how big is that thing?

I read on another forum that the cheap "oko" carbs on eBay are clones of the real ones. It's hard to tell though because eBay listings says that they're oko. . I'm sure if you did a quick google search on clone oko carbs you'd find the answer.

i ran my sachs 80 with both an OKO 24 and a TM 24, and we also used to same 2 carbs at diferent times on clint's athena'd hobbit general bike. On both I'm confident we got the TM to run better. but it was pretty early in my moped years and mightve been more to do with our skill, or lack thereof, but both carbs ran really really well on both bikes regardless.

yea the lone okos are pretty crappy. oko is already a clone.

it reminds me of the movie duplicity where the 2nd generation of clones were retards

The Polini version of the PWK Keihen is really really nice, much better than the OKO. Pump carbs are great but not for the feint of heart, TM24 flatslides are great but I've had issues with them, mostly due to them not giving you any feedback on tuning at all. Dellorto work but are a pain in the ass to tune and fall out of tune as the temps change. For 20mm size the standard VM20 is pretty great but it's large and hard to mount. Clone carbs are what they are, a gamble, and anyone that tell you they swear by OKO but only ran one ever you should probably shop around for more opinions.

Wow ....12.12 really? ??

That's like stock (edited)

I'm going to disagree on the "shitty OKO clones" argument. I've put those ebay clones on over 30 bikes. They're impossible to tune if you don't go through them. That being said, replace everything that's brass in there. The needle, atomizer and all the jets. Swap them all out. Set the float height correctly. None of that "it's just mopeds" shit. This is an actual carburetor not a single circuit bing. Start with the choke jet, then idle, then needle, then main. Do it methodically and you won't have a problem. They're not a slap it on and run carb but will run well if you tune it right.

Some have poor looking casting but it just works out to be cosmetics on the exterior of the casting and doesn't impact how they run. I haven't run across any that were drilled or machined incorrectly. Again, I've put them on over 30 bikes between my bikes and bikes that belong to other people. A lot of them are twin cylinder engines.

So as far as them being junk, out of the box maybe. If you're willing to put a few bucks in to tune them correctly, you're still out a lot less $ than a mikuni setup. I mean, you wouldn't run the stock jets in any carb so you have to replace them anyway right? I have a feeling most people try to run them without ever trying to tune them. Like I said, they come with a round jet out of the box so you can't exactly swap the jet unless you swap the atomizer.

alright, I'll take that. it might've just been like one batch. It was around when OKO's first became available and then all of a sudden they were half the already cheap price, and they fucking SUUUUUCKKKKED. but they've probably corrected that by now? I distinctly remember this period of time where everyone who bought an OKO had a good carb, and then they were cheaper and everyone who had the cheaper ones had a hard time. it's been a few years tho. I remember they were painted on the inside too and you had to remove all that or it'd flake off. We never swapped all the brass bits - at least not intentionally except swapping needles and jets to tune.

One of the issues I remember too was the slide was totally wrong, like had half a mm clearance against the edges, and another had no choke drilled through. the choke circuit was straight up totally blanked off.

That's right tho the oko closes have the different jet. I guess that's one way to tell if i's original. even true OKO are pretty janky - the copy on the packages is so good tho!

"Product Carburetor!"

"High Quality Great Momentum Delicate Motorcycle Engine!"

I think Jesse said it best when he said "clone carbs are a gamble"

the biggest skimps in cheap clone stuff are 1) materials, which doesn't always matter much, stuff strips easier or seals swell and leak but those are all easily fixed or worked around.

and 2) quality control. because theyre based on good working tested designs they usually work. but there's a WAY higher chance of them not working and without good QC the only person to find out it's malfunctioning is you at the end.

Maybe 3 is finishing, they don't really round stuff off or smooth or clear casting flaws but usually that's less important.

so yea - a gamble for sure. odds are you get something OK, but you run a way bigger risk of something being off too.

I agree with eric too, most of the time the cheap stuff can be made just as functional by cleaning up and replacing a few of the key parts. that goes for any china clone stuff, takes alotta risk outta the gamble.

Born to be WillD Wrote:

> yea the lone okos are pretty crappy. oko is

> already a clone.

> it reminds me of the movie duplicity where the 2nd

> generation of clones were retards

you mean Multiplicity. And yeah the clones of clones are stupid. they dont even use Khiehndhehin* jets. . . so you have to make sure you get the right OKO.

multiplicity1.jpg

yeah Ive seen many okos with the "chrome" slide where the chrome was just a plastic coating that peeled off within like 20 miles.

I am just posting this in here so people might find it easier?

Here is a good post about fake OKOs

Read more: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/thread/56843/oko-carburetors-genuine-fakes#ixzz4UzZtwdOy

2017-01-06_0830.png

Carb on the right is a real oko and uses keihin carb Jets

2017-01-06_0830_001.png

This is a real OKO

This is a Fake OKO

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account