Snowflake sealed bearing. wheel spinning issue

So I converted a rear snowflake to cartridge bearings. I spaced out everything correctly I believe and I have all the spacer include I believe. I just noticed when I completely torque the wheel down, it still moves freely and smooth but has a lil drag and dosnt spin to long!? If I just go snug on the nuts it will spin "forever" (edited)

Re: Snowflake sealed bearing. wheel spinning issue

Probably Fred /

Did you use a spacer tube inside?

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you use a spacer tube inside?

Yes, it took me all day to space it correctly and the bearings are sitting right up against it. Also have the brake plate spacer and the two outer spacers correctly spaced I believe.

Here's a video:

Double Trouble Dan /

Did you use those wonderful china bearings?

They will bind when anything tightens against them.

Dirty30 Dillon /

What you're describing perfectly describes bearing bind, meaning that your spacer is a little too short.

yea if you're sure the spacers aren't contacting any of the moving faces (i.e. sure they're only touching the inner rings on the bearings) then it's probably a little too short on spacing. throw in a washer. going a little too long on the spacers is usually OK.

Double Trouble Dan Wrote:

> Did you use those wonderful china bearings?

> They will bind when anything tightens against

> them.

Nono... I quality fag bearings from Italy with metal seals.

Umm okay..il double check my spacers, I did go a little long on the spacers already! I'm not running locknuts could this be the issue?

Correct me if I'm wrong: the axle holds the spacers in place, the spacers holds the inner race of the bearing in place.. So the outer race of the bearing will move independent from the inner race

I wanna run on the stand for a few minutes or just pedal around, I think it could be the new grease.

It's too tight in that video. When I convert to sealed bearings:

Fully install one of the wheel bearings.

Set the wheel on the workbench, bearing side down.

Using the end of a caliper, measure the depth from the other bearing to the surface the next bearing will seat on.

Add 1mm to that length and cut your spacer. Make sure it's a straight cut.

Clamp an axle shaft in a vise with about 2" sticking out. Put the wheel on it and drop the spacer on the axle. (Keeps it centered)

Install the second bearing by applying pressure to the outside ring SLOWLY and in gradual steps.

You will know when it's installed correctly when you spin the inner race of the bearing and the spacer spins with it. DON'T GO TOO FAR.

Jake P Wrote:

> It's too tight in that video. When I convert to

> sealed bearings:

>

> Fully install one of the wheel bearings.

> Set the wheel on the workbench, bearing side

> down.

> Using the end of a caliper, measure the depth from

> the other bearing to the surface the next bearing

> will seat on.

> Add 1mm to that length and cut your spacer. Make

> sure it's a straight cut.

> Clamp an axle shaft in a vise with about 2"

> sticking out. Put the wheel on it and drop the

> spacer on the axle. (Keeps it centered)

> Install the second bearing by applying pressure to

> the outside ring SLOWLY and in gradual steps.

> You will know when it's installed correctly when

> you spin the inner race of the bearing and the

> spacer spins with it. DON'T GO TOO FAR.

What do u mean by to tight?

It should spin easier and stay spinning longer.

Jake P Wrote:

> It should spin easier and stay spinning longer.

>

>

Okay, thank you for the video & example! Where is it to tight? Should I go bigger in spacers? I'm not running lock nuts, could this be an issue?

oh, the old Tomos 5 star slight wobble. Very familiar with that. :)

Jake P Wrote:

> It should spin easier and stay spinning longer.

>

>

I decided to run it on the bench at low Rpms, I noticed everything is working correctly I believe and only the outer races and metal seal are spinning and the inner race in staying in place by the spacers. just that 30 secs helped a bunch to lossen up the new bearings. My dad and I thought mybe the brakes are scrubbing the rust build up on the cylider wall too. I'm going to Remove the wheel I check for scrub marks on the cylider wall. The wheel moves very freely it just dosnt spin for long, not like Im getting any resistance. Kinda like a new skateboard wheel but then again some kids forget about lube idkn.

I'm going to put a tire on it and switch out between my Lelelu and check data. Will update! thank you for the info a Jake P for making a video! (edited)

The ends of the spacer tube need to be perfectly square. If not, then when you tighten things up one (or both) of the inner bearing races will be cocked off at an angle, causing the bearing to bind. A home made spacer tube needs to be lathe turned, or at least carefully ground square in a v-block set square to the grinder.

Wait until the temp gets below freezing like 20 deg. then it really gets a little stiff...especially that early morning start-up...But if you have a garage no problem, don't worry about it....

Dave Gjessing Wrote:

> The ends of the spacer tube need to be perfectly

> square. If not, then when you tighten things up

> one (or both) of the inner bearing races will be

> cocked off at an angle, causing the bearing to

> bind. A home made spacer tube needs to be lathe

> turned, or at least carefully ground square in a

> v-block set square to the grinder.

I think I got everything square I only had to make an inner spacer all the other spacers where bought from treats. I'm going to check my performance and see if it hurts it's.

I completely removed the wheel and notice the brakes are scrubbing a little so they probably need time to be broken-in again lol. The bearings are so tight God damit but when I spin the inner race of one bearing it spins the spacer then the spacer spins the other bearing. so I believe everything is functioning correctly just needs breaking time, it's just really snug ( the axle was a pain in the ass to swift side to side, after a few minutes running the bike the axle just drops out of the wheel now

Update Re: Snowflake sealed bearing. wheel spinning issue

Seems okay, I decided to run it on my maxi, The wheel had no effect on performance that I noticed, the bike ran good! Maybe the grease is kinda old and needs a repack. No issues though, went right up to power band good and cruised down hills fine, no wierd noise coming from the bearings ether. (edited)

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Finding the 'sweet spot' on both sealed and ball bearing will make a HUGE difference. You obviously want to tighten down the rear axle properly and if you're backing off on the torque to get it to be where you think is right, then spacing out, to correct the problem, is the right thing to do. I fiddle with ball bearings, which when properly adjusted work pretty well, but the adjustment is very fine. When you get it right and you use really good quality grease, the wheel should spin for At Least 2 minutes without the chain being attached. With sealed bearings, I would make sure the ends of the spacer are square and make some .004 shims from a soda can (cut with scissors) and space them out until you get the proper 'spin'.

Did you find the sweet spot? How'd everything pan out?

Hahah I dkn. They spin okay and the bike don't show proformance issues, but not highly satisfied or confident in the bike. I'm not running inner lock nuts on the sealed bearings, so I have to go full torque on the outer nuts. I don't think all my spacers are a 100% square ether. Probably just going to switch back to loose ball bearings and stay out of the rain lol.

From the video the wheel looks like to moves well. Run it, it's just a moped haha

Double Trouble Dan /

from what I can see, the rim is bent.

The wheel definitely is not bent! Straight as I need and can see with a naked eye. The sealed bearins are probably fucked but the wheel is not bent

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account