Re: My new Freespirit Build (Part 3?) w/ Derbi Motor

Tig welded the decomp hole and channel then dremeled/sanded it back in to the rough shape. I grabbed a picture before I did the final sanding with sandpaper:

Malossi carbino 4 petal reeds/block:

Head and stator installed. I picked up a 4-wire start 5 CDI.

Parmakit CDI box from treats:

I figured out that the green is the ignition, I got spark. Anyone know what the other 3 wires are for? Headlight, running light, stop light?

Moped cat.

Woa tellement belle cette petite moto

Merci mon ami!

Torn down and I'm eyeing a new pipe...

Some people may disapprove of my methods but I want to share what all I did to mount this beast and my struggles.

Mounting width at bottom of the frame measured to 65mm, but top ones are slightly narrower.

Here's what 65mm looks like compared to the derbi width:

Derbi case is about 90mm wide.

Cut the top mounting holes off the frame

Cut the lower right boss off of the derbi motor. Keeping the left side to ensure chain alignment. I don't think I took a picture, but i heated up the bottom right frame mount and bent it outward 12mm.

Compressed the forks to check spark plug clearance

Crap.

Decided that I had to move the motor mounts back 1" to clear the spark plug cap. Cut the stock welds carefully.

Got the mounts moved back and tacked on the frame. Also cut the top frame mount more and cut the frame away by the middle mounting hole.

Welded the motor mount fully, made a boxed front mount, and a new intake. Welds will be ground down before paint.

Threw the tank and seat back on. Still need to figure out an exhaust.

Benjamin LaPlante /

Looks great! Just wondering why you didn't go with the derbi swingarm? Looks like it would be easier to mount the motor.

Dirty30 Dillon /

- Summerai - Benjamin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks great! Just wondering why you didn't go with

> the derbi swingarm? Looks like it would be easier

> to mount the motor.

Ditto. I am all for whacky mods, but I'm sure you spent some coin on that StartV motor, and I would have modded the frame to hell and back before cutting off the case portion.

make sure you vent the side covers, hmm, in spain forums to see what i mean. its worth it if you going to spin the rpm and make a bunch or heat.

^solid looking to me, i dig it. (edited)

Because I didn't have a swingarm and don't really like the way the derbi swingarm works. I'm also going to try and keep the original pedal shaft, but I'll have to extend the right side some.

Thanks Ed, I'll check it out. I've seen some with holes cut and then metal screen inserts to keep big crap out.

First test start.

(edited)

This may be helpful for later...

Riiiiiiiiiiip

Yasuni makes a rad pipe for derbis

Pic broke!? Just google 'yasuni escape derbi variant'

Good stuff man! Good to see your back posting.

Oh and Max I have your ignition and cylinder now if you're curious where it ended up (edited)

Looks like a fun ride!

Thanks guys. I picked up a big muff pipe from treats for now.

When I go H2O I'll probably pick up this kit and a matching scooter pipe: http://www.racingplanetusa.com/cylinder-polini-evolution-minarelli-horizontal-engines-p-166157-1.html#.WBC7P3NlDqA

Damn, this is a mighty fine project. Super impressive. Thanks for the engine mounting foibles and details, looks really strong; boxing in the forward mounts & all.

Kicking the drive train/rear wheel location back seems like it would improve stability at high speeds. Very interested in reading about how it all works out on the road.

Any thoughts on the forks of yet? I'm a big fan of the Free Spirt forks as one of the better stock spring types but this looks like it needs much more than that.

Dirty30 Dillon /

- schmiddy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Any thoughts on the forks of yet? I'm a big fan

> of the Free Spirt forks as one of the better stock

> spring types but this looks like it needs much

> more than that.

Yeah, a nice set of hydros off a pitbike or something would be excellent.

On my last build I did CR80 forks with a hydraulic disc brake setup. I'll probably do something similar.

Keep my updated on the wiring. I need to figure out mine as well. I have the same stock ignition and Parma kit box. I'm about to be at the point where I have to wire it all up. Just need to finish a few things

I get my exhaust on Thursday. First thing I'll do is check timing to make sure I'm close to 18*.

My plan on the wiring is to check resistance on each wire to ground, I think the higher resistance the more power the coil will produce.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,4042355

A regulator/rectifier also came with the motor, but I have no idea what pins do what.

Ill take a look at my rectifier plugs and let you know where they go

New sprockets and chain. What are the thoughts on this ratio? 16-35

considering 33t is the stock sprocket size and you went larger on the front, you should be hitting some good top speeds with that gearing.

I think 16x33 is the sweet spot for tuned setups. Still fucking with mine

Got a left side kickstand modified and welded to the right side of the swingarm.

Started chopping up the exhaust. It's supposed to mount on the right for derbi but I want it on the left to use my rear puch exhaust mount. Also measured the tuned length.

Tuned length of the exhaust alone measures out to about 28.5". The length of the exhaust port to header flange is about 1.5" so that world put me at 30". I'm shooting for about 26" tuned length so 4" of header needs to be removed (measuring from where the pipe was welded to the header).

That was the end of last night. More updates to follow today.

A little video of it running with the pipe. I still need to check the timing before checking jetting and variator weights. Speaking of which, can anyone running a start motor suggest what weight to run?

Very nice. You beat me to the punch with my start build. I'm I've got a few bugs to work out and to redo my lomat. You'll see soon enough though

Sweet, let me know when you have it posted!

I'm running 19mm MK intake/PHBG, airsal 47mm, h95 and 3.2g weights, but I think they're a touch too heavy. 2-3g be a good starting point with the big muff (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account