Urban Express Rear fender WARNING

So today I was out for a cruise going about 40 on some back country road, when I approached a nearly 8" drop in the road where the town apparently gave up on paving and left this gnarly, unavoidable transition from one surface to the next. I had just enough time to get on the brakes hard enough to shed about 10-15mph before slamming over it. In doing so the bracket where the back fender mounts at the front most point straight up snapped and in turn feeding the entire fender under my rear wheel, at speed. So my Urban and I go skating along down the road before tipping over and grinding to a halt. Luckily me and my bike are just fine other than some minor scrapes.

Needless to say from today on I ride w/o a rear fender.

Also I have some on board video I'll try and get on here

Re: Urban Express Rear fender WARNING

@eugeniusblack #differentstrokesmopeds /

DUDE!!! Same damn thing happened to me. Luckily I was messing around in a field and not in the road when it happened. I still leave mine off this day. #theTOMOSapiens.

Exactly what I was talking bout when I posted bout taking mine off, one day it was rattling and sounded like it kept catching my wheel. so I had to take it off. tried to remount it that didn't work. Not the first time I've heard this happen

Andrew Squiggman /

there was a recall on that

safety wire everything, even fenders

You remove the rear fender and you run into issues with water. Isn't that right baron! Water gets everywhere.

i had water issues before the removal, but yea most likely it got worse. my main problem is somehow im getting water in my intake. most likely seal is loose on it. when i mentioned stuff like this happening with the rear fender everyone mobbed on me. though i wont lie ive posted my fair share of pointless threads. probably enough for a whole year, and we aint even half way through yet.

This was always my concern, and why I had always kept fenders. But now my dilemma lies in being left with a chewed up fender and no bracket to mount the thing to. Maybe I can just wire it up to something like you say and try not to look down at it every mile or so.

You'll be ok! Watched the video that was scary. Not as scary as my last incident. Had a drunk driver come across 4 lanes and hit me. I was riding a motorized bike.

Make new mounts that's not hard

I had a ciao and when the wheel locked up I was convinced I had seized. Luckily just the fender fell off and caught the wheel

Shit man, that video was intense!

Glad your okay, nothing worse than coming out of a tight turn fast into shit pavement

Glad I never bothered to put my back fender back on, I like kicking rocks up at tailgaters

Glad you are okay as well, its crazy how much a fender can do to you. Let alone anything that falls off your bike!

I see lots of people going without fenders and can understand for multiple reasons but as barron said, water and crap spraying up towards my intake does concern me. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas for any kind of shield or cut down fender that they've come up with, or maybe I'll just try and hack something together to fit in there.

Yeah Honda had a recall and added a piece of reinforcement steel to the fender mount. I actually have an Urban that the original owner took in to get it serviced. The dealerships added an "x" mark behind the engine number on the bikes that had been retrofitted.

Oh man that's good to know. I thought that the last guy was joking about the recall

I'll try to take a picture of the retrofit part and post it on here today.

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█ /

....Sorry, obligated to post this.

Andrew Squiggman /

recall is right in the manual.

nobody ever reads the manual

WTB new bracket with stiffener if anyone has one. also maybe a fender since mine now looks like it was run over by a.....oh wait.

Andrew Squiggman /

there is a rear fender on ebay for 70 i recall.

NEAL SUMMERLIN /

I once bought a used tomos ......., i already had mod. cyl. works,... first thing , i bolt that stuff on ...., then i " RIP " loose ....., damned front wheel wasn't tight (aparrently) cawz ,first 3 mile run had several curves and a purdy good rail/road grade crossing (small jump type bump)....., the wheel come off ( "almost", dont forget the stinkin cables) ......., curves worked out well!!! Bump at 37 m.p.h ....., not so much!!! EVER HEARD OF OVER THE BARS CLUB?

Andrew Squiggman /

what?^

NEAL SUMMERLIN /

I dont know ? I'm glad he didn't get hurt...

neal.. click the "flat view" tab at the top of the screen.

Cut down the old fender, hammer it back into shape, spray bomb it black and put it back on.You only need enough to protect the carb and wires from water.

I like that idea. I'm gunna see what I can come up with.

oh noes!

my urban has

original mount

tight too!

vic de vaul /

I HAVE 3 URBANS I KNOW ABOUT THE RECALL ON THE BRACKET I HAVE JB WELD ALL 3 IN THAT AREA THREE YRS AGO AND SO FAR SO GOOD?

my cheap fix, i used these. loosen the front 2 nuts that hold your fuel tank to the rack and slide it through there, you might need to trim it a bit. there are 2 holes in the frame under the seat so you can run a skinny zip tie through to hold the fender off the tire. if you buy the set, you can use the other one to extend your front fender, looks clean. helps keep your feet drier if you ride in the rain. sorry i'm too lazy to go take pics right now, use your imagination.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account