The Flight Surgeon - custom build

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/The+Flight+Surgeon/

This custom, polished dirt ped is the Queen of the garage. The Flight Surgeon started life as a new Tomos Flexer frame from England, a crate A55 from Heeters, numerous parts from Treatland, and some from MLM and 1977. Photography by Pixo2. The name and headlight art comes from my job position in the Air Force, which perfectly describes this flying machine crafted with surgical precision.

Performance: 44mph (71 kph, still not broken in yet), 115.4 pounds (52kg) fully wet, 65cc (44mm) cylinder kit, large-bore MLM pipe, 21mm intake, 19mm PHBG carb w/ K&N.

Coatings: exhaust ceramic coated, piston friction coated, head & cylinder head dissipating, gas tank KBS gold standard.

Custom: metal work on engine mount and shock upper mounts (Ace Cycle, Las Vegas), sand blast and powder coat black & blue (Ram ProLine, Las Vegas), headlight art “The Flight Surgeon” and tail art “Ace Cycle,” black oxidized spokes and fasteners throughout. Tires are Shinko SR244 3.00x16 and barely fit!

OEM: new stock new-gen Tomos forks, triple clamps, shocks, seat, hubs, brakes, rims.

Build time: 2015-2016, ~500 hours, $10,000 in direct costs.

Thank you to all you dedicated mopedders out there who contribute to the wiki and forums here at Moped Army!

moped 02 (3000x1950).jpg

Re: The Flight Surgeon - custom build

This is really a great looking bike.

Did you fill the tires with $50 bills to get to $10,000 in direct costs?

Derek Stahl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is really a great looking bike.

> Did you fill the tires with $50 bills to get to

> $10,000 in direct costs?

yeah that's insane.

rad tomos though

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

It is nice, but you could have left out, your cost. We would like it better, if you said it cost $500, and all the rest was labor.

nice looking bike, but i'm confused... I don't see $10,000 worth of parts or labor here.

10 g's.. in a tomos. wow, i must say that you need to cut your labor costs in half.. maybe more.

i like blue.

Moped is ok, too much hype talk tho.

It's not all that.

wtf $10,000?

Hope it's insured.

My $130 dollar tomos does 45 mph, broken. Those front shocks dont look very offroadable, for 10 k you coulda payed someone to slap some dirtbike forks on.

Just being realistic.. 500 hours is enough hours to rebuild and master tune 5+ bikes from nuts and bolts.. and 10,000$ in direct costs... is unbelievable. cool bike nonetheless.

10K? are u saying it's already on eBay?

I don't think you guys understand that this is a flying machine crafted with surgical precision owned by a guy with a position in the air force.

Andrew Squiggman /

He probably had Boeing make it. hence the high price tag

is that like a arrow with bigger rims?

so basically this is the Lamborghini aventador race car version of the tomos a55. you get way less then the normal a55 but promise stellar performance in return. then charge you way more then a normal aventador.... for less stuff.(edited)

Really like the looks of this bike, very nicely done. I commend you for pouring heart & soul into it.

However, reading the description on this Tomos makes it sound like you're trying to sell us something. Estimated cost outlay is irrelevant as a moped is probably the worst thing to which capital could be invested. Besides, no matter what you do, you could always find someone else has done something better.

Best to brag more about the love you put into the details, we can get behind that. It's the reason most of us are into these obsolete machines anyway. Please do keep up the good work.

Andrew Squiggman /

for 10k you could have 5 "stop people in their tracks" amazing mopeds.

Got receipts for the 10K job?

Andrew Squiggman /

Dmitry K. Wrote:

> Got receipts for the 10K job?

rec.png

I would gladly build you're next bike for you. I'll do it for quite a bit less money and it would be as nice as this.

Mike Monigold /

Absolutely beautiful. Great work!

Lock that baby up well.

The Flight Surgeon is the materialization of my dream. I’m throwing it out there as an example of precision and beauty in the moped world, a benchmark to demonstrate that not all of our bikes are vintage or piecemeal. What’s your dream? How will you create it?

Are you a racer like Victor? Is your dream to take the trophy at Moped GP?

http://dev.mopedgp.com/media.php

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/MBK+51+G2+Version+2

Are you an artist like Devin or Richard at Janus? Is your dream to sculpt a beauty and create something the world has never seen?

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/05/16/halcyon-50-deluxe-janus-motorcycles.html

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/The+Paragon

Are you a machinist like Dan at 1977? Is your dream to restore, fabricate, and match dissimilar components?

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2012/03/20/indigans-diablo-moped.html

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/Indigan+Diablo

Of course labor is the main cost on a top-tier build like this. You usually get what you pay for. Components’ costs are only as expensive as the labor to forge them and the labor to collect the raw materials. I chose all new parts and experienced craftsmen who have undisputed track records for quality work and provide lifetime service and warranty. Medicine and Aviation are both expensive, but they’re worth it to most folks. A heart bypass surgery costs $240,000 and a C-17 aircraft costs $220,000,000.

The Flight Surgeon is part of living my dream. What’s yours?

The flexer frame is basically what the arrow/streetmate/revival are based off of. The flexer was pretty sweet, just not sold on the US market.

♥Maize♥ BLK Wrote:

> is that like a arrow with bigger rims?

Looks nice and all, but 10g's to still have drum brakes and only go 44mph?

Overpriced Parts /

Ismael . Wrote:

> Looks nice and all, but 10g's to still have drum

> brakes and only go 44mph?

Heck with just a 60$ bullet pipe, 12$ Air filter, 3$ jet and 14$ sprocket a

Stock 49cc a55 cylinder with stock phva 14mm carb goes just about as fast!

And this is with with a stock wt. heavy tomos revival, tools, helmet, cold weather gear and 200lb rider so like 375 lb gross weight

Moped army is DIY, we build are own bikes here, posting a bike built by others for thousands of dollars though its ok looking just makes no sense.

Ken Roff Wrote:

> Moped army is DIY, we build our own bikes here,

> posting a bike built by others for thousands of

> dollars though its ok looking just makes no sense.

Word.

Nice bike,

but priced like it was built by the government.

Jesse Stephenson Wrote:

> I would gladly build you're next bike for you.

> I'll do it for quite a bit less money and it would

> be as nice as this.

It's a nicely painted fresh tomos that looks pretty good, but what the fuck are you talking about?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account