Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Hey guys. Some of you may know already that I've been running a youtube channel called 3kneesdown. I post up a lot of moped and racing related content up there (so be sure to subscribe if you're into that sort of thing). I had this idea for a community build, something that I felt like 1977's Garage kind of sought to do but didn't really accomplish. So, I guess I'll give it a go.

Here's the video explaining the deets but I'll append it with more detail below:

Really, the purpose of this build is to get your guys' opinion to build a solid running bike based on parts that you pick. We'll do a voting system this time around and I'll take the highest voted parts in a category and build them. Each video will show how the parts are put together so you guys can see how to build a reliable [whatever] kind of bike. You get to pick the style (street bike, dirt ped, race bike, etc), all of the parts (within compatibility), colors, etc.

On top of this, I'm working with some guys in the community to help build a section of the bike. This time around I'm getting the help of the Dead Possums guys in NE. They are really cool dudes and if you don't know them, come out from under your moped rock and say what's up.

As the build progresses, you can also contribute/donate your own parts to the build if you like. Just send me a message here on MA or email at 3kneesdown@gmail.com. Facebook is fine, too. Remember, this is your community bike so help out in any way that you can. ANYONE CAN HELP CONTRIBUTE.

Right now, voting is for the first part of the engine pieces. Voting and the build timeline can be found at http://3kneesdown.com/community/vote

At the end of the build, the bike will be raffled off at Treatland.tv, so you will get a chance to win the bike!

Again, this is an experiment and I'm sure there will be lots of kinks to work out so constructive criticism is key. We'll be starting it easy with a Moby frame and AV10 engine but that's the extent of it. I'm open to any thoughts and suggestions that are reasonable to better engage with the community on this.

I'll update this thread with the videos whenever they get pushed out until completion. I'll also answer any questions people ask here. I hope you guys can enjoy this so we can make this a reoccurring thing.(edited)

Re: Let's build a bike together!

nice(edited)

Re: Let's build a bike together!

I voted, I would have liked to see a 70cc H2O kit or any H2O kit larger than 50cc. Nevertheless good luck with the build. Looking forward to the raffle

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Ninja . Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I voted, I would have liked to see a 70cc H2O kit

> or any H2O kit larger than 50cc. Nevertheless good

> luck with the build. Looking forward to the raffle

Yea, I have to work with what's in stock on Treats or whatever others can give. I would like to see that combo as well though. Thanks for the vote!

Re: Let's build a bike together!

White side walls

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Flagrant - Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> White side walls

Word, I'll be sure to add that as an option when we get to the tires.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Maybe consider a stock hue or color paint with a sick metal flake or ghost Images added.(edited)

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Starting with Motobecane or Peugeot is kind of boring as a racing platform. "Will they vote for Malossi or Polini cases?" Who cares. French peds have copious racing parts available off the shelf and most decisions are sort of wrote. This might be interesting if you started with a less supported platform, like V1 for example.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Make a racing Morini. Get cool like Chad Burke and source a M101.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Pizza the Hutt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Starting with Motobecane or Peugeot is kind of

> boring as a racing platform. "Will they vote for

> Malossi or Polini cases?" Who cares. French peds

> have copious racing parts available off the shelf

> and most decisions are sort of wrote. This might

> be interesting if you started with a less

> supported platform, like V1 for example.

This isn't for racing specifically. You guys can make it be whatever you want it to be (street bike, fairing bike, dirt ped, don't care). The moby was chosen because I don't have good knowledge of other engine platforms. Maybe you can help work on a V1 for me for the next community build?

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Also, Motobecane and Peugeot bikes are probably the most difficult for beginners to grasp. I'm trying to destroy that myth...

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Ri¢h Homie Kyle, King Of The GRGR Prospects Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Make a racing Morini. Get cool like Chad Burke and

> source a M101.

We could do that next time, though I'd rather not build yet another race bike!

Re: Let's build a bike together!

MOB CROSS

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Overpriced Parts /

A two or more cylinder or engine (water cooled would me nice), fully streetable moped that actually rides (unlike YouTube videos of just engines just idling or just race/off road). The more stock/sleeper looking the better.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A two or more cylinder or engine (water cooled

> would me nice), fully streetable moped that

> actually rides (unlike YouTube videos of just

> engines just idling or just race/off road). The

> more stock/sleeper looking the better.

Yea it's kind of difficult to add those options in for voting because it opens up so many cans of worms. But I do like the idea of a stock sleeper and I'll definitely add that as an idea to toss around for when we vote on the chassis.

Keepin it somewhat simple just to see the interest. Thanks for the ideas!

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, Motobecane and Peugeot bikes are probably

> the most difficult for beginners to grasp. I'm

> trying to destroy that myth...

I can get behind this sentiment and I hope it is successful. For what it's worth, I don't really think this was the goal of Garage at all and launching your project with a jab at them for failing in your perceived goals is a little tacky.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Pizza the Hutt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can get behind this sentiment and I hope it is

> successful. For what it's worth, I don't really

> think this was the goal of Garage at all and

> launching your project with a jab at them for

> failing in your perceived goals is a little tacky.

I'm not trying to take a jab at anyone. However, when Garage launched, it had some notes in it about having the community comment on your build and give advice. It seems to have shifted from what it originally said at launch.

That said, I'm not here to throw salt around. Just want to give people a fun and interesting thing to look forward to and participate in. Especially those without the budget to do these kinds of things or maybe want to see how things pan out with a certain kind of style or build. It's all in good fun and I'm not trying to take anyone's cake.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Pretty neat idea. Would be cool if this really catches on and different groups could pull different community builds off.

Don't understand the garage comment though.. not sure what has shifted.

Good luck though! I voted!

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

T y l e r Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pretty neat idea. Would be cool if this really

> catches on and different groups could pull

> different community builds off.

>

> Don't understand the garage comment though.. not

> sure what has shifted.

>

> Good luck though! I voted!

Thanks, dude! Maybe I should've left it out as it was just my opinion anyway. Regardless, it would be cool if it catches on.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Smiley Vyrus /

Unfortunately I have zero frenchie knowledge, so no help or parts here. Sounds good. Im here to learn. I will definitely be following your work.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

its always best to use positive descriptions when launching new ideas. Let's focus on the build now. i like the idea. It could be fun. Maybe have a chat while you're wrenching, at least during important parts.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Pizza the Hutt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> its always best to use positive descriptions when

> launching new ideas. Let's focus on the build now.

> i like the idea. It could be fun. Maybe have a

> chat while you're wrenching, at least during

> important parts.

I had gotten permission from twitch.tv to run any of my stuff live on the creative section of the website. So I could do live streaming and chat for the interesting things...

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Love your concept man . Good luck . I'll def be tuning in

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Hey guys, today is the last day to vote on the cylinder crank combo. Vote in at 3kneesdown.com/community/vote. Also, begin to think about what you'd like to see on the bike as far as parts, looks, and function.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

My votes in

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Voted, and following. Nice idea. Always enjoyed your blog.

A well done mob cross build definitely sounds intriguing!

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Voted.

Your videos are great and very professionaly made!

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Don't see an option for stock AV10 cases. Stoked for this

Re: Let's build a bike together!

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A two or more cylinder or engine (water cooled

> would me nice), fully streetable moped that

> actually rides (unlike YouTube videos of just

> engines just idling or just race/off road). The

> more stock/sleeper looking the better.

Lol wut.

Re: Let's build a bike together!

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Thanks for the comments/votes, guys! I'll close out the voting tonight and make a video about it tomorrow.

Also, the stock av10 cases are already "voted" for, as in, I'll be using them already since it's an av10 build.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account