Why are all the Mobys seized?!?

I've gone to look at almost 10 motobecanes in the last year and they were all stuck. Every last one. I bought a couple thinking they didn't look too bad on the outside so they would probably just be gummed up with old oil. The chrome plating was peeling out of the cylinders, the pistons were all corroded, the cranks were rusted solid. What gives?

I've bought a ton of puchs. Only 2 or 3 were stuck and the condition of the bikes showed major neglect so it was pretty much expected.

Is there a reason Mobys are susceptible to this? Is it just my bad luck or do other people have the same problem? I just want a stock moby but I guess I'll end up with AV10s on everything. C'est la vie.

Re: Why are all the Mobys seized?!?

I think it just comes down to how they were stored. I've seen just as many Puchs and Italian peds stuck as I have Mobys.

Bruce Zapper /

It is just a gamble but most of the time you can judge a book by its cover!

You wouldn't happen to be around a coastal region would you???

I've noticed how quickly metal oxidizes from the salt water mist in and around coastal cities I used to travel. (edited)

Bruce Zapper /

It is just a gamble but most of the time you can judge a book by its cover and Sometimes you can't I bought a 75 moby at a auction for $22 it had wheels like the (pic) but the motor was perfect just had to replace the points.

DSCN3940a.jpg
DSCN3982a.jpg

I'm in western NY. The only salt up here is on the roads and most moped riders don't ride in the winter.

The motobecane has a vertical spark plug hole so it will get more water in it when left outside without a spark plug. For some reason people really like to leave mopeds out in the rain without a spark plug.

† CH∆D † /

yeah PUCH are true horizontal.

Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The motobecane has a vertical spark plug hole so

> it will get more water in it when left outside

> without a spark plug. For some reason people

> really like to leave mopeds out in the rain

> without a spark plug.

The same people that leave one without a gas cap and 1/2 filled with gas.....

the engine position of peugs/motobecanes/bats make them more prone to being stuck. (mobys have it the worst, look at the degree of the head in relation to the floor.) people let them sit with loose spark plugs, bad seals, no spark plugs, heads off, etc. anything that drips from the frame, drips right onto the head.

I havent had too much trouble with moby's being stuck from the few i own. If anything the bottom end is toast beacuse it filled up with water, or rusted variators.

You can buy a used av7 dirt cheap if you look around so no big deal

Bad Cadillac™ /

Moto-beat-ons...

Double Trouble Dan /

In most of the stuck motors i have worked on , the air cleaner assemble was either missing or prone to letting in moisture.

We just fixed a stuck moby last week.

On that motor , it seems like the port placement is in a prime position to rust a piston ring to it. That was exactly where it was stuck.

If the motor is shut off with the piston ring over the port , you can bet that long term storage will cause ring rust and failure.

French=Failure

It also seems that puch uses harder, better engineered engine metals that do not rust as badly.

Human error.

Andrew Squiggman /

they come from the factory seized

They are built in the most humane place on earth.

It's not like there isn't 15,000,000 of these made to get parts from.

chris s Wrote:

> Human error.

^ This, why oh WHY do people leave the plugs out of an engine? Especially if left outside? WTF? No gas cap is usually a deal breaker for me as well.

Andrew Squiggman /

Stephen Keller Wrote:

> chris s Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Human error.

> ^ This, why oh WHY do people leave the plugs out

> of an engine? Especially if left outside? WTF? No

> gas cap is usually a deal breaker for me as well.

Stephen, spark plugs dissolve in rain, as well as gas caps.

^lol!

Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> they come from the factory seized

I like this theory.

I also like when sellers say "It used to run." I usually respond with "They all used to run." Maybe not?

Bruce Zapper /

Now that makes sense I got one that was outside and the head was gone but the studs were still there I guess the studs are waterproof!

To prepare a moped for storage you have to remove the spark plug and gas cap. I thought was common knowledge. If your going to store it for a really long time, you have to remove the flywheel with a hammer and remove the stator plate screws and let it hang there.

#moped101

I thought you had to remove the spark plug and pour a cup of salt water into the plug hole then seal it back up. I've been doing it wrong this whole time!

Most of these bikes did have spark plugs in there. Is it possible they leak at the decomp hole? It's strange because I haven't run into this with motorcycles and most of the 2 stroke motorcycles I've come across have upright cylinders. Maybe they aren't quite as vertical as a moby though?

It's a French thing

Bad Cadillac™ /

Stephen Keller Wrote:

> chris s Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Human error.

> ^ This, why oh WHY do people leave the plugs out

> of an engine? Especially if left outside? WTF? No

> gas cap is usually a deal breaker for me as well.

Because these kinds of people have no business wrenching on anything and it's easier to take things apart then it is to put them back together. Laziness comes into play too.

To remove my flywheel I at least use a hammer unless an impact is around haha

Dan (LandLordsMG/PSVMC) /

Store it upside down, that way only the handle bars seize

Bad Cadillac™ /

^^ LOL!! I like it!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account