Is the Motobecane 50v a nice bike?

When I was a wee lad my grandfather took me on long rides on a yellow motobecane 50V. I was crazy about that bike and thought that one day he would pass it along to me. Unfortunately, my grandfather was the shallow type of fuck who would pass his well cared for 50V on a collector instead of give it to me, despite repeatedly telling him I wanted it it. He sold it to the collected for $150. This is enough to make my blood boil.

To get straight to the point... is this the kind of bike I would want to buy and fix up? Or are they antique garbage at this point? I've got a Tomos Streetmate R and a Tomos Targa LX top tank that are tons of fun to own, but both seem cheaper in nature to the French moped. Both are kitted and both are 40+ mph fun bikes that I can buy any part for from treatland. But there's zero nostalgia.

But say hypothetically I wanted to buy a 50v. Is it worth it, or is the bike dying?

Re: Is the Motobecane 50v a nice bike?

Andrew Squiggman /

wow. you are kinda an asshole to your grandfather who used to take you for rides.

How exactly am I an asshole to my grandfather who used to take me for rides... ?

I'm all ears Arthur...

Andrew Squiggman /

Unfortunately, my grandfather was the shallow type of fuck who would pass his well cared for 50V on a collector instead of give it to me, despite repeatedly telling him I wanted it it. He sold it to the collected for $150. This is enough to make my blood boil.

boo fuckin who. it's his. he can do anything he wants with his bike. be glad he gave you rides on it as a kid.

Oh ok... I understand now.

You're right, it was his, and it was his to do with. And this is why he was a shallow fucking twat for passing it off for $150 instead of offering it to me to buy it from him. And just for the record, were it you who did this to me, I'd also think the same of you.

50v is a great bike as long as you dont mind wrenching on it.

I don't mind wrenching on it at all, considering that's all I do with the Tomos'. I just wonder if its "worth" the wrenching, and how available are the parts for it?

Is there another brand of bike that is as well built and better suited to be restored?

Seems like newer brands are all plastic vs the old iron philosophy of the 50's.

50v is my fave moped, there are some more reliable, Honda for example, but a stock 50v can be reliable, they are different, but if not abused will run a long time, one was my first bike back when 15 and I put thousands of miles on it, 5 or 6K I think, only thing I replaced was brake cables and rear tire as I rode doubles a lot. Granted they were much newer back then! :) If you want one find an un-modded one and aside from tires/brakes/cables leave it alone, many hate on the gurtner carb, they work fine for me, but there is a replacement on treats if you want to swap out. Expensive to make really fast, but for a stock bike ride very smooth, feel heavier/more stable to me than most mopeds I have tried. (never had a Tomos) don't like the looks of most of them. I have one now I plan to keep until I lose the desire to ride. Bone stock except for new tires. Lots of info on wiki.

50v is a sweet bike.

Maybe he was worried that you'd hurt yourself on it.

Thank Stephen, I'm not looking for a mint original bike, I'd like to have one and I understand that customizations have to be made to keep them on the road.

RWC, that wasn't the concern. The simple truth is that he'd rather impress a local collector than keep it in the family. It's really as simple as that. I've already confronted him about it.

So at this point, the only way to have one will be to buy my own.

You don't have to customize them, they work best stock, well the horn/kill switch thing sucks, as does the condenser location, but overall they are just different, rather than bad. Engine mounts are bad wear items as well. For a stock bike to me nothing better, but to each their own, my Honda Pa-50II is quicker (off the line) has more potential to modify, but does not handle like the Motobecane, it has never given me an issue, but nowhere near as sexy as the 50v. :) There are many parts avail for Motobecanes, between treats and the buy sell forum here you should be able to get all you need, e-bay of course. There is a CDI for Moby as well if you want to go that route.

I understand. Sounds like I need to buy a Moby.

You should be able to find one, there are quite a few out there.

They're notoriously "different" to work on but l agree with Steve,

they're a smooth, stable and sweet bike.

Have you tried the search function?

Google perhaps?

They are common, and there is a lot of info to be had on them, you'd be better off looking for yourself than asking the people here as many are biased towards or against any type of French bike

Yes, I have. I wanted a multifaceted answer.

I value the advice given here.

I appreciate your advice also RWC.

It's sad I'll have to pay close to 1k for one in good condition.

Just check it over, make sure the wiring is not all f-ed up, clean tank is a HUGE plus as it is part of the frame. Avoid bikes left outdoors forever, same things for most mopeds, find a stock runner and just enjoy the ride. They put really nice paint on their bikes, and decent chrome. Cleaned up they shine!

They were assembled with great attention to detail, each fitting (stock) has the appropriate spacers lock washers etc, when people start losing them or hack them is when they have issues. Not had my 50v apart much, but took my "7" partially apart last summer and was amazed at all the little pieces parts, just have to lay them out in order they were removed, (I have a bad memory) but if you put them back as they came apart it will be fine, a good grease gun is needed for the variator and pedal shaft, also leave the pedal/engine switch alone!!! The internals of the driven pulley can rust up, and if you get it out of engine mode it can be a real bitch to get back. If you must pedal the bike push the engine back and slip the belt, very easy, but you don't want to pedal one other than to start it anyway, too heavy and geared too low, you can walk it faster.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

my grandfather was the shallow type of fuck who would pass his well cared for 50V on a collector instead of give it to me, despite repeatedly telling him I wanted it it. He sold it to the collected for $150. This is enough to make my blood boil.

I know what you mean. My dad sold the 1964 Chevy Impala 2-door hardtop for $400. It was like this, except with baby moons,

He wouldn't have sold it to me any way, because I had bought a foreign car. They then bought a Monte Carlo like this,

...................... and my mom sold it for a mere pittance, even after what I told her it was worth. Parents are idiots.

^Nice! But you can't be on relatives for selling THEIR property for their reasons, from when young I lusted after the '66 Pontiac Le Mans my mom used to drive, but it had to be sold (yrs before I could drive) to pay for a newer car and bills, I could hardly expect my parents to store a car for me just because I wanted it? That thing would SHRED! I prob would have killed myself in it anyway. Parents are not idiots, they are looking out for the family first and their kids lives as well. I was a sad non driving age kid when a VERY happy guy drove that Pontiac away, but so over it now. I just looked at a Monte like that, built mechanically, but this is MN and body was sad, would cost too much for me to bring her back to like in that pic.

What a horror story. At least you and me know how to treat our families better after all this bullshit.

Andrew Squiggman /

Paul H Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I value the advice given here.

maybe applolgize to your grandfather

A motobecane is a harsh mistress. Be prepared to open your wallet.

She CAN be, not always, if you want to go fast, for sure, if you get a good un-molested one, no more than any bike.

Don't buy one, that means one less for me.

The issue is that sooner or later, you'll be tempted by all the shiny french parts and their promise of power. A full doppler setup or some of the Bidalot stuff is like cocaine that comes in a matching set.

Hells Satans Sleepydog /

Maybe your granddad thought your a dumbass that would ruin it and would rather a collector had it....

Better Fส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ster /

Max Johnson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The issue is that sooner or later, you'll be

> tempted by all the shiny french parts and their

> promise of power. A full doppler setup or some of

> the Bidalot stuff is like cocaine that comes in a

> matching set.

^This is the truth on Mobys. They're all slow and reliable, then you see all those shiny pulleys and curvy pipes and it'll never be the same again. There are guys out there doing 70mph on 50cc. The problem is that 99/100 have dropped a few $1000 into their ride to make a fast but unstreetable bike.

You're better off buying one from somebody else IMHO. I have my dad's old CB350. I never ride it because I don't want to beat up its pristine showroom floor look. I don't sell it because it has sentimental value. I just store it in the hopes that when my son is old enough he'll carry on the tradition of cleaning it and starting it once a year.

All my other bikes are modified and/or customized and a few are dented/dinged up from normal use. I don't feel too bad about it because most would have gone to the scrap yard if I hadn't saved them.

It doesn't sound like you like your grandfather too much. If he was willing to take you for rides, try to be a little easier on him. We've all done things for our own reasons. Just because you think he sold it to a collector because he wanted the collector to have it instead, doesn't mean he didn't actually sell it so you wouldn't get hurt on it. No matter the reason, cut him some slack, get over it, and enjoy your time with him. Here's an idea: buy a beat up 50V and ask him if he'll help you restore it. Maybe you'll both learn a thing or two.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

It sounds like to me the memories are there for you, so yes buy one. Parts are abundant for these bikes, no worries there. They come with their own french headaches but when running are nice smooth rides.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account